NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

The delays are understandable due to the changes. It’s far from ideal but the transfer window is very much ‘alls well that ends well’. 

I’m blaming Staveley and co. for a lot of this. Which is the kindest thing I can do to the club.  They’re gone now.  Professionals in place. I trust them to get it right. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I assume he means that we knew Ashworth was gone from February. So we should have brought in a new SDin time to plan for the next transfer window.  Or at least - have a workable plan to execute without his direct input while he gets up to speed.  

Neither happened. 

There's still 6 weeks left of the transfer window to go

Just now, Pata said:

WTF did you mean then? Please explain.

Ashworth wasn't here at the back half of last season and we knew he wouldn't be here for the transfer window.

We probably knew that we weren't going to hire a new DoF until a good few weeks after the season. That gave us what 5-6 months to put a transfer plan in place, identify players Eddie wants and actually make some headway in negotiations, which presumably Nixon could've been heavily involved in.

If what we have heard is true, we have pretty much waited until Mitchell is in place to start our transfer planning, which doesn't leave a lot of time.

What would have happened if Mitchell had fallen through? 

What if Eddie doesn't like any of the players he suggest, and we have to go back to the drawing board?

The bit in bold is the bit I was referring to as wank planning. Nowhere in my previous post did I refer to appointing Mitchell as wank planning. Clear?

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

If what we have heard is true, we have pretty much waited until Mitchell is in place to start our transfer planning, which doesn't leave a lot of time.

There's absolutely no chance this is true. It would be simpler if we had announced Mitchell at the end of the season but for reasons we don't know it only happened in July. Also signing players that Mitchell wouldn't approve would be a catastrophe in so many levels but it doesn't mean we didn't have any plans in place, we are well run now. 

You just need to have a go at someone, no idea why I didn't put you on ignore during the season with your weekly Howe-tantrums.

15 minutes ago, Pata said:

There's absolutely no chance this is true. It would be simpler if we had announced Mitchell at the end of the season but for reasons we don't know it only happened in July. Also signing players that Mitchell wouldn't approve would be a catastrophe in so many levels but it doesn't mean we didn't have any plans in place, we are well run now. 

You just need to have a go at someone, no idea why I didn't put you on ignore during the season with your weekly Howe-tantrums.

It was widely reported we had plans in place. Whether Mitchell has come in and altered those, who knows.

3 hours ago, nufc123 said:

just reading reports, and they are positive and negative.

Never seen him myself, always find these transfers a bit more exciting. Few games at international level, more games in Europe than most in our squad, would be coming from one of the biggest clubs in the world. Let's go.

13 minutes ago, Pata said:

I wasn't the one having a go. I put a post on here that you didn't read properly, misconstrued my words and had a poke at. What do you expect me to do?

And I openly admit i'm not as big a fan of Eddie as everyone else on here. I think he's a fantastic manager but I don't think he's the man to take us to the higher echelons of the game. I don't make any secret of it, but that's what this board is about though, right? Having different opinions, discussing things about the games/clubs from different perspectives? Or at least it used to be, not so much now.

If someone deserves criticism, as I believe Eddie did at times last season, where do you suggest I post it? Yeah, emotions run high from time to time but fuck me, it's a football forum. We can't all be Mahatma Ghandi pal.

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I assume he means that we knew Ashworth was gone from February. So we should have brought in a new SDin time to plan for the next transfer window.  Or at least - have a workable plan to execute without his direct input while he gets up to speed.  

Neither happened. 

I think everyone really should understand transfers take months and plans are made well advance. Howe and co. have identified targets long ago. Signing Mitchell doesnt change that at all. We have a plan and have made our moves already most likely. 

And everyone can look the deals other clubs have made. Liverpool no incomings for example? Arsenal have finally got 1 player through the door? Transfer window has been really quiet, it’s not just us

If we had got Tosin, we would have 2 players who impact the squad rightaway from 1st of July. 

I would suspect any change of plans was caused more by missing out on Europe at the last minute, and the impact that has on both interest from players and the financials than the change in back room staff.

Also deals can collapse based on factors outside of the clubs control, e.g. players changing minds, outgoing deals not working out etc, it’s not like popping down to Tesco 

41 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The delays are understandable due to the changes. It’s far from ideal but the transfer window is very much ‘alls well that ends well’. 

I’m blaming Staveley and co. for a lot of this. Which is the kindest thing I can do to the club.  They’re gone now.  Professionals in place. I trust them to get it right. 

Blaming them for what exactly? There's over a month left of the transfer window ffs [emoji38]

10 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I wasn't the one having a go. I put a post on here that you didn't read properly, misconstrued my words and had a poke at. What do you expect me to do?

And I openly admit i'm not as big a fan of Eddie as everyone else on here. I think he's a fantastic manager but I don't think he's the man to take us to the higher echelons of the game. I don't make any secret of it, but that's what this board is about though, right? Having different opinions, discussing things about the games/clubs from different perspectives? Or at least it used to be, not so much now.

If someone deserves criticism, as I believe Eddie did at times last season, where do you suggest I post it? Yeah, emotions run high from time to time but fuck me, it's a football forum. We can't all be Mahatma Ghandi pal.

Your original post still doesn't make sense. Timing of the hire wasn't optimal and the people at the club obviously knew that but that's how things ended up happening and it's still good that he now has input on this transfer window. To even think it was possible we didn't have any plans in place pre-Mitchell is frankly just thick.

I just don't have time for shite opinions, mate.

Edited by Pata

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

Your original post still doesn't make sense. Timing of the hire wasn't optimal and the people at the club obviously knew that but that's how things ended up happening and it's still good that he now has input on this transfer window. To even think it was possible we didn't have any plans in place pre-Mitchell is frankly just thick.

I just don't have time for shite opinions, mate.

It seems you have all the time in the world for them....

I think it's mildly reasonable to have some concerns about where we currently are in the window, it would obviously be preferable to be moving faster and to have new players go through as full a pre season as possible, especially since Howe generally waits forever to bed players in to the team. 

However, I don't think it's "bad planning", we've just been left in a position where things are having to be dealt with in a more reactive manner this window. I hate the phrase "it is what it is", but it is...

If we get to September and haven't signed a right winger and padded out a few other positions, then aye, questions can be asked of the club. Until then some patience is required. 

There must be a plan which has Howe’s input, I have explained before.

The problem is, now, it appears like, Mitchell comes in and disapprove it. The transfer plan starts from scratch again. Before we start to play the blame game, may be we should think in Howe’s perspective first. 

seriously if I am Howe, and if the club really fail to bring in a quality CB and RW as per my request (and as originally planned), I would be fucking furious at the end of August.

16 minutes ago, LFEE said:

The problem is too many fans think signing a player is simply identifying them, agreeing a fee and personal terms then booking a medical and them signing the contract.

I think the hardest part is probably identifying players who can play at the level we want that the cartel clubs haven't already got their hooks into. We need to be creative and that usually means paying more for undercooked but promising talents like Gordon, Livramento and Hall.

I've got no issue with that as long as we are able to cast our net outside of England as well, and I'm hoping Mitchell will be a big help here.