NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Was he a high level target or did people just want him to be?

Dunno can only go with what the press are saying. I meant high level in terms of stature of player rather than wether he was top of our list but I get your point 

Just now, Shearergol said:

2 signings, with the added CL games and the attempt at cups will make us struggle in the league. Nowhere near enough.

I mean 2 quality signings that improve first 11, and maybe a couple more for depth.

Just now, kocunar said:

I mean 2 quality signings that improve first 11, and maybe a couple more for depth.

Ahh ok, makes more sense then. Don't massively disagree either. I think our first 11 is easily up there with the best in the league, but our bench options are appalling compared to the rest of the "top 6" 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

2 signings, with the added CL games and the attempt at cups will make us struggle in the league. Nowhere near enough.

The club is snookered by FFP.  It’s going to be tricky for a couple of more years - the likelihood is that we’ll struggle at various points.

I don’t think our squad is that terrible tbh.  

No-one knows if Szoboszlai was a genuine high level target. We all know the vast majority of the transfer tittle tattle comes from agents flapping their gums to the chick in the nests type journalists. For weeks it's been Maddsion this and Maddison that and now it seems we've not spoken to him since the turn of the year, of course it's not hurt his negotiating position with Spurs (when you're trying to get to the truth behind a lie always ask yourself who benefits ? Hmm Maddison and Caa Base Ltd, who incidentally represent 8 or 9 players on Newcastle United's books, maybe we allowed ourselves to be linked to Maddison to do them a favour) .

The club and Ashworth have clearly had a strategy when it comes to transfers, the Isak deal only really went public when it was almost done, the same with Tonali, even going back to Trippier and Wood these happened fairly quickly with very little speculation except in the final few days before it being announced. We had a little more insight with Gordon but that was mainly because he was swerving training for Everton etc. I don't doubt we've spoken to various player's representatives at one stage or another in recent weeks and months but by and large we've shown we do very good business these days. If we have been looking at Szoboszlai it'll be up to a certain price and up to a certain wage, the minute that doesn't look like working for us Ashworth and co will be onto the next. It's very early in the window, Newcastle United in this era are a completely different animal, they're smart and experienced enough to have a considered plan but also smart enough to adapt on the fly if it benefits us. Howay The Lads !! 

Edited by Keggy_Keagal
added context

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The club is snookered by FFP.  It’s going to be tricky for a couple of more years - the likelihood is that we’ll struggle at various points.

I don’t think our squad is that terrible tbh.  

I get the reasons for it. But it still concerns me.

EDIT: My entire reason for my earlier post was to highlight that I'm not concerned about names, I'm concerned about numbers.

Edited by Shearergol

6 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone emotionally invested to a degree you seem to be fixated on. I’ve seen people share emotional disappointment, but so what? How it’s odd or weird for some people to build their hopes up isn’t for anyone to say. It suggests you know more and is quite belittling when you’ve got a lot of people on here of different ages and knowledge. 

Get yourself on Twitter, it's absolutely wild.

In what way is it belittling to suggest that something might not be the most healthy behaviour?

How about people just trust the club with the transfer window?

You know, the people who have taken us from 19th to 4th in 18 months. The people who have signed Isak, Botman, Pope, Bruno and Tonali.

Howe wouldn’t be happy with just two signings, given his quotes earlier this summer:

Howe is already thinking about building a squad to compete on a domestic and European front. At present, only 14 players have started more than five Premier League games this season.

‘Utilising the whole squad is going to be important,’ said Howe, looking ahead to next year. ‘We haven't felt the necessity to do that on a consistent basis because we've been in one competition – of course, we had the cup run. We have rotated to a degree, but maybe not in the numbers that we might need to next year.

If you're going to do that, then the squad needs to be strong enough, so if you put out two XIs, they're of equal strength.’

Howe points to Leicester as an example of how those dual demands can knock a club off course.

‘What you can’t underestimate is the demands that Europe will place upon us, whichever competition we are in,’ he said. 

‘You look at Leicester’s example and you can never underestimate what that takes out of the squad in terms of the demand of Premier League to Europe to Premier League.

‘West Ham this year would be another example. They have done brilliantly in Europe but, probably because of those demands, their Premier League form has suffered a little bit. It’s something we are going to have to think long and hard about.’

Just now, NSG said:

How about people just trust the club with the transfer window?

You know, the people who have taken us from 19th to 4th in 18 months. The people who have signed Isak, Botman, Pope, Bruno and Tonali.

I can't see anyone not doing that? (On here anyway)

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I get the reasons for it. But it still concerns me.

EDIT: My entire reason for my earlier post was to highlight that I'm not concerned about names, I'm concerned about numbers.

Yeah, it’s not ideal.  But there’s only a handful who might not be deemed PL quality anymore 

I don't think we were ever going to pay his release clause. I think it would have been an Isak situation where we liked him but the price was too high and we would have possibly revisited later in the window if there was a deal to be made cheaper. I personally didn't think any club would have paid his clause.

Just now, Kanji said:

I’m also a bit curious how Liverpool plan to run a midfield or attack with Dom, Salah, Gakpo, Diaz and Jota. 

Whilst keeping them happy you mean? I'm guessing Mac Allister isn't gonna play 10, which is weird as I think it's his best position. Cracking squad to have though. Klopp's ceiling a bit higher after all.

There is some sense for buyers in letting the 60M release clause expire, if you think the player is up for a move and ready to move on in his career.

You then tell them "you and I know there are absolutely no takers for 60. Here's a deal that comes to 55 with add ons. It's your call but you already know we won't pay 60 and neither will anyone else". They might tell you to fuck off, but that's a risk you take.

If that is the case, I even wonder if Liverpool have read the situation and left it to late on release clause deadline day so that other clubs don't have time to match the offer? Could someone in theory trigger the release clause minutes before the deadline? Then Leipzig would want bidders to beat that offer to agree.

My reading was that the two areas of the first 11 that needed upgrading were DM and LB and that the two areas of the squad that needed strengthening (on top of that) were CB and maybe CF. Hoped to get 4 in this summer in those places, maybe 5 if we sell. 

7 minutes ago, Adam P said:

My reading was that the two areas of the first 11 that needed upgrading were DM and LB and that the two areas of the squad that needed strengthening (on top of that) were CB and maybe CF. Hoped to get 4 in this summer in those places, maybe 5 if we sell. 

RW is just as important as LB and DM

1 hour ago, Adam P said:

Targett was excellent until his injury problems. Perhaps the club think he can get back to that form and fitness with a full pre-season. It's easier to improve the first team at LB (for big money) rather than RB but it's easier to improve the squad at RB for substantially less money, and then you'd have 4 decent full back options. So there is a case for leaving LB as it is but it all depends on Targett. If We go big on a LB and then Trippier is crocked and we're left with Manquillo or Krafth, I think the net outcome is worse. Then you factor in the extra fixtures and Trippier's age.

We were heavily linked with Livramento on Monday and we've just signed Tonali after the signing of Minteh. 

Yous are getting worse, proper transfer addicts. :lol: The gap between Botman and Isak last year was massive, if you can't handle this you'll all be a wreck if that happens again.