NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If we are to abide by FFP we need to adopt a model similar to to the RB teams and Dortmund. Eg buying young players and selling high. Once you get a couple £70m sales you can really have fun. 

I think we spend a lot of money in this window anyway. 

Seems like we are doing just fine.

I agree, I think we will end up spending good money. We are just being very selective over who we ultimately move for.

Maddison wages likely made him less of a priority and Szoboszlai's release clause likely made him less of a priority also, once RB seemingly weren't willing to negotiate on that.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No idea tbh. 

I hope around £200m.  We’ll need to just keep pace. 

I predicted around the £120m mark. Can’t see us going beyond £150m but it all means nothing. All about getting the right players not more/new players for the sake of it.

Personally think we’ll sign one more £50-60m type player in midfield. Then some cheaper defensive cover in 1 or 2 positions.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

If we are to abide by FFP we need to adopt a model similar to to the RB teams and Dortmund. Eg buying young players and selling high. Once you get a couple £70m sales you can really have fun. 

I think we spend a lot of money in this window anyway. 

That is what keeps RB and Dortmund below Bayern. They can't keep hold of their best talent. Players go there on the understanding they'll use the club as a stepping stone. If we cash in on our best players (say Bruno), we'd be almost certainly be selling to direct rivals. Unless Barca/R Madrid/PSG/Bayern come in, there aren't many teams we can get top money from these days, and to compete, we'd need to spend top money to replace them or gamble on youth hitting the ground running.

4 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

That is what keeps RB and Dortmund below Bayern. They can't keep hold of their best talent. Players go there on the understanding they'll use the club as a stepping stone. If we cash in on our best players (say Bruno), we'd be almost certainly be selling to direct rivals. Unless Barca/R Madrid/PSG/Bayern come in, there aren't many teams we can get top money from these days, and to compete, we'd need to spend top money to replace them or gamble on youth hitting the ground running.

No different to our league. Just rather than Bayern or Real and Bayern, our league has five or six ringfenced clubs cannibalising the rest of the league. This summer it’s Brighton and West Ham being pillaged. Previously it was Villa with Grealish, we’ve experienced it for decades, Leicester with Fofana last year.

Player trading is perfectly normal with the amount of money in football, it’s just not market to me at all to have a test/review on sponsorship deals that determine what is market value for you based on your club size and like-kind comparable size of deal for specific type of companies already sponsoring. That is just really insane to me. 

16 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I wonder what percentage of them have written Anthony Gordon off already?

Quite the opposite. Gordon is loved by most the stuff I see. Miggy on the otherhand is #1 victim

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think about £120m, maybe £150m if ASM leaves. 

Not disagreeing with your overall point but looking at the fees for average players surely we should be pushing for more than £30m for ASM in the current market if there ever was a parting of the ways?

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

No different to our league. Just rather than Bayern or Real and Bayern, our league has five or six ringfenced clubs cannibalising the rest of the league. This summer it’s Brighton and West Ham being pillaged. Previously it was Villa with Grealish, we’ve experienced it for decades, Leicester with Fofana last year.

Right. That's what I'm saying. Brighton are "doing a Dortmund" but you wouldn't be surprised to see them end up relegated like Leicester and Southampton. The difference is we can afford to reinvest for now but only until FFP catches up. We are in a growth period because our frugality under Ashley gives us FFP wiggle room but not for long.

9 minutes ago, jack j said:

Quite the opposite. Gordon is loved by most the stuff I see. Miggy on the otherhand is #1 victim

No, I meant the people panicking on Twitter because we didn't sign Madisson or Szobo. I bet many of them are forgetting about Gordon.

Yes there will be sales at points to fund stuff especially while our commercial revenue isn't up to snuff but long term the model will be closer to Liverpool's than a selling club like Dortmund. They've kept hold of the big assets like salah and vvd. Arguably they should have sold more than they have to refresh the squad. Ultimately the squad has to change and turning this team we all love into the next one is howes long term challenge

Edited by Tiresias

5 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Right. That's what I'm saying. Brighton are "doing a Dortmund" but you wouldn't be surprised to see them end up relegated like Leicester and Southampton. The difference is we can afford to reinvest for now but only until FFP catches up. We are in a growth period because our frugality under Ashley gives us FFP wiggle room but not for long.

The new ownership insulates us from it to a degree but only for so long. The Sinister Six and to an equal degree the grandees in Europe have completely fucked the wider competitiveness of the league with their protectionism.

The same people panicking on Twitter now are the same people who were trying to mock Hope about his budget story when we moved for Tonali just over a week ago.

Such extreme highs and lows in their emotions. Almost Bipolar.

Edited by Matt1892

Our main targets the press don’t get wind of unless we’re very close to signing them…Like Tonali, Isak and Bruno. We operate quietly for our big targets, it’s just what we do.

Edited by Ronson333

49 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not disagreeing with your overall point but looking at the fees for average players surely we should be pushing for more than £30m for ASM in the current market if there ever was a parting of the ways?

I think one will be an AM or winger anyway if ASM state or goes. He's the one saleable asset we have so as might be able to get another player on top. 

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

I don’t mean do what they’re doing forever.  But we’ll need to sell players for big money at some point to continue to invest.  If we can’t inflate sponsorship, hack FFP in some way or continue to outperform our wage budget we’ll need to sell.    

Liverpool sold Suarez and Coutinho and used that to reinvest. Our reinvestment will only be limited by FFP not the actual sale value. And like Liverpool once our revenues are up there with the elite we won’t need to sell.  

Villa are able to invest at a massive rate (beyond the fees received for the players) because of selling academy products for big bucks is great for FFP. 

To be honest I’ve learned to never be happy or unhappy with club’s transfer business during a transfer window. What matters is where we are on the last day of the season.

29 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

I'm not sure I'd class Villa and West Ham getting £100m plus for one player each as them being pillaged. 

Strip away their best player. Individuals you can build a team around. Admittedly for those fees it’s great but doesn’t always work. Until Emery came in Villa were going to shit. Same with Leicester and Southampton. I think Brighton will eventually fall foul of it, no matter how well we think they’re doing now.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t mean do what they’re doing forever.  But we’ll need to sell players for big money at some point to continue to invest.  If we can’t inflate sponsorship, hack FFP in some way or continue to outperform our wage budget we’ll need to sell.    

Liverpool sold Suarez and Coutinho and used that to reinvest. Our reinvestment will only be limited by FFP not the actual sale value. And like Liverpool once our revenues are up there with the elite we won’t need to sell.  

Villa are able to invest at a massive rate (beyond the fees received for the players) because of selling academy products for big bucks is great for FFP. 

That's why our youth set up is just as important if not more so than anything else.. city can make a absolute fortune from players they bring through. And it's all pure profit to go to FFP