NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Bit disappointing that all of our ‘rivals’ have made strides to be genuinely stronger while we haven’t signed anyone. Still, plenty time left I guess. 

We are still a few years away from being able to really flex muscles. Once our youth system gets going and we cycle out the unsellables we will have a better revenue stream to compete.

We have come dramatically further forward than most people expected but we are still a little hamstrung and need to box clever.

I'm pretty excited to see where we go next because we are anything but predictable.

10 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Surely Raphinha is the answer now at 50 mill. What's his wages ?

Anywhere between £120kpw- £200kpw. (Likely the latter). Would they sell at £50m? Doubt it. 

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No DM needed.  Both Tonali and Bruno can play deepest in midfield.

Telegraph article said both Bruno and Tonali would mix it up. It said Howe didnt look for a DM but someone that could do a bit of everything.

8 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Anywhere between £120kpw- £200kpw. (Likely the latter). Would they sell at £50m? Doubt it. 

Thought I'd seen that figure mentioned a while ago, but it largely remains guesswork I suppose. Wonder if he'd accept in the range of 140's

Finishing top 4 has raised expectations way too high and alot of people want big things too quickly (myself included). We just cant compete financially with the established teams due to FFP in the short term. That will hopefully be less of a constraint in a few years. Gutted we didnt target Szobozlai but im still excited to see who we sign next. LB and RF should be priorities. After that if we see a more creative midfielder at the right price we should definitely sign one. Im worried with all these extra games relying on just Bruno for creativity could be detrimental. I know Tonali can play the 8 but he hasnt enough creativity imo. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Bit disappointing that all of our ‘rivals’ have made strides to be genuinely stronger while we haven’t signed anyone. Still, plenty time left I guess. 

Plenty of time, Ive got no worries personally. We pulled Sandro Tonali out of absolutely nowhere and we know we'd identified at least 2 other positions to strengthen months ago. Wouldn't be surprised if we get 2 more that haven't ever been rumoured. 

1 hour ago, Memphis said:

Everything that's happened so far is to be expected. We moved in ninja-like stealth to sign Tonali for nice money. We are no doubt moving stealthily towards other signings. Of the ones mentioned publicly, Maddison never seemed to be a goer, we inquired but never looked like really committing to him once it became clear he would be in the 40m range + big wages. Szoboszlai - we seemed to have a lot of interest but we were never going to be able to pay the full release clause due to FFP, I imagine we thought we could drive it down a bit. Once RB knew they were going to sell Gvardiol for big money and had multiple clubs interested, we were always going to fall back. None of this is a surprise based on our previous activity and our limitations this summer. 

The Livramento thing will probably carry on for a while but I'd bet we end up signing him. I would not be surprised if we all of a sudden signed a high-profile RW (Diaby or Chiesa. maybe) next week. The management of the club has been spot on for the last 18 months, signings have been nearly perfect, I thought we'd be in trouble after not doing more business in January, and I was wrong. They were right. As a result, I feel very content to sit back and let them operate, with complete faith they'll sort it out. Weird feeling, I must admit.

A wise summary.

I'll definitely feel better when we finally get a great attacking wide player. We've needed one in every transfer window so far under the new owners and never picked one up. If someone like Chiesa came here I'd be completely relaxed about everything else.

47 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Surely Raphinha is the answer now at 50 mill. What's his wages ?

I think we have to forget players like Raphinha. These players would have to take a paycut to come to Newcastle, and I just do not see that being very realistic.

8 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I'll definitely feel better when we finally get a great attacking wide player. We've needed one in every transfer window so far under the new owners and never picked one up. If someone like Chiesa came here I'd be completely relaxed about everything else.

We were meant to have signed one in January. 

2 hours ago, Memphis said:

Everything that's happened so far is to be expected. We moved in ninja-like stealth to sign Tonali for nice money. We are no doubt moving stealthily towards other signings. Of the ones mentioned publicly, Maddison never seemed to be a goer, we inquired but never looked like really committing to him once it became clear he would be in the 40m range + big wages. Szoboszlai - we seemed to have a lot of interest but we were never going to be able to pay the full release clause due to FFP, I imagine we thought we could drive it down a bit. Once RB knew they were going to sell Gvardiol for big money and had multiple clubs interested, we were always going to fall back. None of this is a surprise based on our previous activity and our limitations this summer. 

The Livramento thing will probably carry on for a while but I'd bet we end up signing him. I would not be surprised if we all of a sudden signed a high-profile RW (Diaby or Chiesa. maybe) next week. The management of the club has been spot on for the last 18 months, signings have been nearly perfect, I thought we'd be in trouble after not doing more business in January, and I was wrong. They were right. As a result, I feel very content to sit back and let them operate, with complete faith they'll sort it out. Weird feeling, I must admit.

Great summary. :thup:

Chiesa has scored 12 league goals in last 3 years, granted he’s had injuries but still played a good few games in that period.

Looked a superstar at the Euro’s but has gone seriously off the boil, are we paying 50 million for him unlikely I’d say. 

If I was a betting man I’d say it’ll be someone that fits the profile of Rayan Cherki.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I’m still not certain why we dropped our interest in João Pedro tbh

If we chose Gordon (for more money) over him, then it wasn’t very clever IMO.

Ahh, but did we ever really have any genuine interest in Pedro, or was it just media, ITK, etc? 

I have a feeling next week could bring another nice surprise after Tonali’s announcement. Huge signing this Tonali fella and such a young squad playing at the level we have been. 

1 hour ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Have to say there are a lot of people (mostly on twitter rather than here) who desperately need a new hobby until August. Not healthy to spend the whole summer freaking out when we don't sign a player that we might possibly have been slightly interested in. 

It's still June and we've more or less made one excellent signing, others have made 2 at most.

Yep.  My other half stopped me playing Champ Man because the stress of completely fictional transfers was driving her crackers, and was clearly send me a bit loopy.

Life lesson there for some others :) 

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I’m still not certain why we dropped our interest in João Pedro tbh

Agreed, understand why we didn’t sign him in August but not sure why we stopped after that. It’s possible we felt Isak was just a better version of him or that Isak / Gordon made him redundant.

Part of me thinks we might only add to the front three if a deal presents itself or with a young player who may not start for awhile.