NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I still think we'll have a quiet January, in terms of spending at least. Based on a few assumptions; 

1. Certain players will be back from injury sooner or later

2. We're out of Europe and the League Cup so the fixtures won't pile up so much from next month

3. January is often a bad month to do business (club execs have said as much publicly)

4. Howe clearly (ideally) likes to bed players in, much easier in the summer with pre-season etc.

5. I think we'll keep the majority of the summer budget for the summer, for the same reason as last season, we don't know which Uefa competition (if any) we will be playing in next season

Obviously if a player we like is available at a price we like (eg Gordon) we'll pursue it but I don't think we'll be running around trying to bring in a number of £35-40m+ signings.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

We've probably lost 12pts by not having a squad, and that is down to sticking to FFP. I honestly say blow it out the water, let them cry and see you in court. 

PIF/Saudi Arabia with all the massive construction project and oil fields must have contacts they could lean on to sponsor us. They don’t need to create phony companies like City, just let these companies who they dish out massive contracts to know they’d appreciate it if they sponsored the football team they owned. Could have dozens of small contracts below the threshold that the PL have to approve. 

Bye bye FFP problems.

Given how long it takes players to get up to speed and bed into EH’s way of playing, I doubt we’ll do much in Jan. Players are on their way back from injuries so they might just risk going with what we’ve got.

Edited by Holmesy

If the club hierarchy decide to take a long term view they may bid for the best available player regardless of whether it’s an immediate priority position. Gordon wasn’t a necessity last January. Looks vital now though.

I know the fans are desperate for CL football but the reality is that our chance at it this year produced 1 strong EH style football  performance out of 6. 

Our general trajectory is upward but it won’t be linear.

2 hours ago, Beth said:

Assuming City win their game in hand, we are already 7 points adrift of 5th and the last CL spot (If England even get it). Can't see the reason for spending money next month chasing something we're highly unlikely to get. Let's get through the month, get a few players back from injury and make a push for 6th and see where we are in the summer.

Id rather we were proactive rather than reactive but I get your point about re-evaluating at the end of this month in terms of injuries to the squad 

2 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

Nah, these fuckers don't mess about. Someone will be sold but we'll sign 3 I reckon.

People say this type of stuff but, even with as much as we've spent, we've also shown we're not going to irresponsibly spend cash on a whim. Last season everyone was itching for us to do big business in Jan in order to push on for the top 4, but we didn't. Top 4 was never seen as the plan that early, and the decision makers at the club weren't about to put us in a sticky spot FFP wise chasing that. We signed Gordon as it was a deal that was there to be done, but even that was done more with an eye to this current season than chasing 4th last season. 

Sure, I thought results may be a little more evenly spread between home and away than they are at the moment. But we all knew there was going to be a drop off with more games. We all (I'm assuming) saw the stats about average league drop off for a side their first season in the CL. Ashworth and Eales said themselves in the Amazon doc that this season will be harder. 

By the end of Jan most of our injured lads will be back. Top 4 is likely a pipe dream, but I don't think it was ever the realistic target this season. The squad we have is good enough for top 7 this season. And that will be seen as enough. Likely evens us out on the 5 year plan that's probably in place. Honestly think we will only do anything big if there's a deal to be done for a big target that we don't feel will be there in the Summer. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Salernitana are rock bottom with one win from 17. That's some hopeful, possibly ingenious scouting. :lol:

Original source is DiMarzio so it’s credible. That being said I imagine we are only looking at the 21 year old. 

Its better if we pay some millions more and get the players now. As people say Eddie like to nurse them in to the team. If we buy them now they Will have 8 months to get Eddied and the team will be more strongly when new season starts and we benefit on this to other team that buy the players in August. 

It will also give a boost to the team now. 

Then if it in the summer we get an opportunity to buy a star we buy the one star and get him Eddied. 

Edited by BigValley