NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Ah yes it's January, time to get excited by media created stories and then let down by the same media over the stories they created.

While I'm at it, I'll get the razor blades out.

2 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

I have absolutely no idea how FFP works, but remember reading @TheBrownBottle be adamant that any spending this window won't have any impact on the next due to the way the way it's calculated by season. If that's true we might as well spend whatever we can now?

It won’t in terms of cash flow - though it will have an impact within the three year rolling period.  But the important thing is that from next season, 21/22 drops off the books, and next year our income should be a lot higher than it was for 21/22.

It is absolutely worth using up whatever remains in the FFP for this season - that £70m loss from the final Ashley season drop off at the end of June. 

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Could you then start taking money out of your clubs accounts and cover the losses then?

No, because it’s not about money in the bank.  FFP is entirely about turnover vs ‘front of house’ football costs.  So wages for players, transfer fees, agent fees, signing on fees etc - these are what are counted in terms of outgoings.   Stadium costs, training ground costs, admin costs - these are deducted. 

A club could run up huge losses, covered by the owners, and not be hit by FFP - provided that the losses are not direct football costs, but indirect.  

53 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, because it’s not about money in the bank.  FFP is entirely about turnover vs ‘front of house’ football costs.  So wages for players, transfer fees, agent fees, signing on fees etc - these are what are counted in terms of outgoings.   Stadium costs, training ground costs, admin costs - these are deducted. 

A club could run up huge losses, covered by the owners, and not be hit by FFP - provided that the losses are not direct football costs, but indirect.  

Is that right? I ask because I am interested not because I am doubting you by the way. I always thought what you said below was right based upon it being "football based" for FFP, but then the comments in the press about Everton messing up because they had accounted for the stadium loan interest in the wrong way doesn't seem to support that. Surely stadium/infrastructure spend is outside of FFP however you structure the financing?

3 hours ago, bealios said:

Is that right? I ask because I am interested not because I am doubting you by the way. I always thought what you said below was right based upon it being "football based" for FFP, but then the comments in the press about Everton messing up because they had accounted for the stadium loan interest in the wrong way doesn't seem to support that. Surely stadium/infrastructure spend is outside of FFP however you structure the financing?

No, you’re absolutely right.  Interest payable to debt is calculated as part of FFP - so it does have an impact.  But this is where having ‘sugar daddy’ owners is an advantage - the cost of building a stadium and new training facility isn’t an FFP concern, provided you haven’t taken out a bank loan to do it.  I’m working on the assumption that PIF would avoid these by paying from their own funds - which is one way that having a rich owner allows you to get around elements of FFP. 

12 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Girona manager Michel Sanchez has emerged as a potential replacement for Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe. (Marca - in Spanish) 

Oooh let’s unsettle Girona - Florentino slipping a few euros to his Marca buddies

2 minutes ago, La Parka said:

Might be because they are considering their options, or that nothing is left in the kitty. 

The thing they have been saying for ages, still some on here think they know better. Even sitting down and looking at the figures suggests there is nothing or very very little to spend until July 1st 

2 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

I read somewhere that if Toney moves we get a significant (whatever that means) sell on fee….this can be used towards FFP surely? 

But we didn’t even sell him to Brentford, not sure how that would work.

With the media running stories that KP loan is a race between us and Juve, I am sure there are loads of reasons why a player would choose one club over the other but I was interested in the wage component. let's say he is on 100k per week at City, would that be the fixed wage or can either of the suitors increase that number if it gets to a bidding war?

5 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Peterborough have a sell on clause. recall their chairman being a bit coy about it when asked however he did not deny it

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

If Toney goes for 100m we’ll get 30% of 30%.. so around 9m

No we won't. That was paid when Brentford bought him from Peterborough

So my understanding is we get a % of any of what Peterborough make off Toney? And if Peterborough also have a sell on clause, then we get a % of that too… Lovely. 

edit: never mind 

Edited by Superior Acuña

I'll be astonished if anything happens before deadline day. Trippier was a total outlier - a rare situation that fell uniquely in our favour - and Wood was the dictionary definition of a panic buy. We won't have a January window like that again. 

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Newcastle can have a little transfer fee, as a treat.