NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

30 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

But they obviously don't as the club repeated again this week that we aren't going there

Well yeah I agree with that too. The owners want the players to stay there. I think if it was a case of us being a couple of points off 4th it would be a different story. 

16 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Hindsight of course but Alvarez at west ham would have been great for us. They bought really well with the Rice money 

Recall people on here touring him as an option/rumour don’t know if there was anything in it, club wise, mind. 

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

PIF didnt spend £300m on a premier league club to have it mid table, with other middle east owned teams in europe taking the piss out of us.

Yeah yesterday would have hurt them but at the end of the day FFP has fucked us right up the khyber.

16 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Hindsight of course but Alvarez at west ham would have been great for us. They bought really well with the Rice money 

He’s looked very good. I remember some people saying he wasn’t as good as was being made out but having seen him more now, I’m disappointed we didn’t get him

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Recall people on here touring him as an option/rumour don’t know if there was anything in it, club wise, mind. 

He was linked quite heavily in the summer. I don't think he was rated highly by people that watched him on here.

Edited by Kid Icarus

If we don’t want Phillips permanently then we might as well go out and sign someone we do since the loan fee could potentially be around the same amount as the amortisation amount for a permanent signing.

I would look to sign Fofana from Monaco, they accepted a bid from Forest but he turned them down and he has 12 months on his contract in the summer. 

33 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

If we don’t want Phillips permanently then we might as well go out and sign someone we do since the loan fee could potentially be around the same amount as the amortisation amount for a permanent signing.

I would look to sign Fofana from Monaco, they accepted a bid from Forest but he turned them down and he has 12 months on his contract in the summer. 

Aye, that Fofana looks made for us from the bits I’ve seen of him.

Are we just ignoring the fact that we can't spend money as outlined by Eales last week or are we doing the classic forum thing of thinking he's bluffing and we've got billions 

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Fofana is good and a physical beast. Not sure he is THAT good technically from what I’ve seen. 

I think he’d work really well in a double pivot with Tonali - the ideal profile is actually Phillips/Neves - his style is perfect for us - can be quite flexible with our players then in terms of the front 4 in a 4231 - would mean we could offload Longstaff to help with FFP

7 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Are we just ignoring the fact that we can't spend money as outlined by Eales last week or are we doing the classic forum thing of thinking he's bluffing and we've got billions 

Loan with an obligation is a workaround.

Though the selling club have to be amenable and has to be a long term target and not a panic buy. Maybe they can look to bring summer targets forward if available.

If the above don’t fall into place maybe we do a last minute loan as players not getting game time start worrying about the upcoming euros.

Edited by SAK
Expanded response

13 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Eales says Newcastle won't make any "kneejerk reactions" in the January transfer window but did not rule out signings this month.

"It's a difficult window to get value when you're in the middle of the season and you are trying to bring quality in. Clubs aren't willing to, or are less willing in January, to lose those types of players.

"Summer is always better from a value and a planning perspective. Secondly, we have had a number of injuries and we have got some very good players coming back in the second half of the season. We have that aspect as well when we look at the squad and talk about strengthening, we have players coming back who will have an impact.

"That will be the first couple of things, but like everything, we have to approach it on the medium to long term basis rather than kneejerk reactions.

"You have seen from the accounts the level of investment in the squad. We always have to be mindful of the PSR stuff and making sure we are always going to be compliant long term.

"For us, Jan isn't a great window for us to be doing business. That doesn't mean we won't do any business, as we saw with AG last year. It's difficult to do any major surgery."

23 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, that Fofana looks made for us from the bits I’ve seen of him.

I was just looking at his scout report and it names us as a club that has been linked with him previously, it is a decent read.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/youssouf-fofana-monacos-box-to-box-midfield-dynamo/#:~:text=His ball-carrying ability is,final third (93rd%).

30 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I think he’d work really well in a double pivot with Tonali - the ideal profile is actually Phillips/Neves - his style is perfect for us - can be quite flexible with our players then in terms of the front 4 in a 4231 - would mean we could offload Longstaff to help with FFP

Agree about him offering us flexibility and he can play either in a midfield pairing or slip in to any of the midfield roles if we don’t change formation.

From the video below it looks like he would help create a lot of breakaway opportunities for the likes of Isak and Gordon with how he breaks up play and springs the counter attack.

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Agree about him offering us flexibility and he can play either in a midfield pairing or slip in to any of the midfield roles if we don’t change formation.

From the video below it looks like he would help create a lot of breakaway opportunities for the likes of Isak and Gordon with how he breaks up play and springs the counter attack.

Tonali had the best seasons of his career alongside Kessie - Fofana is sort of similar 

A flat 3 no longer works in the long term(we can still use it) - need to (or Howe needs to) evolve

Given the fact that a) we have no attacking options on the bench and none are returning soon, and b) we are FFP broke, we should be looking at short term bodies if there are no good long term deals about.

I’d be reluctant to do this but it’s just the reality that we could be looking at bottom half and unreasonable pressure on Eddie if we don’t alleviate squad pressures.

Ben Brereton Diaz who has gone to Sheff Utd on loan is a missed opportunity for a third choice striker for peanuts.

Meanwhile I don’t like him, but if I had to choose between Hall or Ritchie of the bench, or Lingard of the bench, I’d choose Lingard.

26 minutes ago, James said:

Given the fact that a) we have no attacking options on the bench and none are returning soon, and b) we are FFP broke, we should be looking at short term bodies if there are no good long term deals about.

I’d be reluctant to do this but it’s just the reality that we could be looking at bottom half and unreasonable pressure on Eddie if we don’t alleviate squad pressures.

Ben Brereton Diaz who has gone to Sheff Utd on loan is a missed opportunity for a third choice striker for peanuts.

Meanwhile I don’t like him, but if I had to choose between Hall or Ritchie of the bench, or Lingard of the bench, I’d choose Lingard.

A, nobody wants to loan us their players, it’s hard to get a player that nobody wants to give you 

B, Lingard hasn’t played all season, would be rusty as fuck and would break the way Eddie plays football

C, this isn’t football manager 

1 hour ago, 1964 said:

We've got billions in the owners, but can't invest hardly any of that money due to the FFP restrictions. Only football can see an owner own their club and then not invest into that business. That is the main block not the 105 million threshold over three years. I honestly believe it's only a matter of time before it's challenged by some owner(s), as it's a restriction of trade and anti-competitive. 

Edited by et tu brute

I’m starting to favour keeping our powder dry until the summer now. I’ll be disappointed if the likes of Solanke and Gallagher are in the conversation though. We need at least 4 first team ready players plus 2 or 3 backups to replace the Ritchies and Dummetts.

54 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Tonali had the best seasons of his career alongside Kessie - Fofana is sort of similar 

A flat 3 no longer works in the long term(we can still use it) - need to (or Howe needs to) evolve

51 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Bold. 

Sorted

13 minutes ago, TRC said:

At the point where I would take Lingard just for an option off the bench

If Murphy and Barnes weren't due back in Feb I'd maybe be there with you. So long as those two see some game time in Feb I don't think we need 'J-Lingz'.