NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

FFP means we can't do that though. We can't just let the likes of Almiron and Wilson run down their contracts down to leave for nowt. We have to extract value while we can like we did with Wood.

It's frustrating and sad from a sentimental point of view but it's the way we are going to have to operate.

Wonder if the reaction to selling our best players has hit home a bit and theyve decided to sell the experience instead of the future to balance the books. If so, I'm all for it. 

1 minute ago, alexf said:

I get the need to flog some of those players mentioned it we want to progress and upgrade. 

However....it doesn't build any depth. Unless you are also going to buy a whole host of cheap young players in the summer also, then even if we replace these players with better, we are only an injury to them away from fielding the likes of Ritchie (or equivalent) again. 

I think my hope was that we would be able to phase out the likes of Miggy, Trippier, Wilson etc and they would be great fresh squad players to use where their age wouldn't be an issue not needing to play every week. 

Unfortunately that’s not really possible, mainly due to the state Ashley left the squad in by the end of his time.

People point out that he left us in a ‘good’ position FFP-wise in terms of us not having made big losses, so there was more financial room to play with.

Whilst that’s obviously true, they rarely comment on the fact that for the last couple of years in particular, he seemed like he couldn’t be arsed to sell players as it was too much hassle to bring in replacements, so just hoyed new contracts at everyone.

As a result, by the time of the takeover, we had very few ‘saleable’ assets within the squad, and we’re seeing the knock on effect now.

Also couple that with he never gave a shiny shite about the academy the whole time he was here, so were miles behind the likes of Villa and Chelsea, in terms of getting FFP help from that.

Oh I agree. Just in an ideal scenario where we weren't stretched by goddamn FFP. But if it's needs must then I don't mind the club making difficult decisions and short term pain if they manage it right and it leads to more long term joy.

Was just listening to a NUFC youtube channel and one of the listeners commented that the revolving door at Newcastle seems to be only going in one direction.

Well, yeah, that's how revolving doors work.

The sales rumours only make sense if there are advanced talks for someone coming in.

Almiron must have played every game this season. Wilson is a massive contributor. Losing either in January is hugely risky.

Trippier to me looks like Bayern looking at Livramento come through, seeing Krafth is fit, the CL exit and the age and just thinking they might be tempted by an offer here and having a go, fair enough for them but I don’t see the club biting.

11 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

The sales rumours only make sense if there are advanced talks for someone coming in.

Almiron must have played every game this season. Wilson is a massive contributor. Losing either in January is hugely risky.

Trippier to me looks like Bayern looking at Livramento come through, seeing Krafth is fit, the CL exit and the age and just thinking they might be tempted by an offer here and having a go, fair enough for them but I don’t see the club biting.

Think it goes without saying fresh faces will be coming in

2 hours ago, TRon said:

When it comes to selling to Saudi the price is dictated by market value. If a European club offered £30m for Miggy then we could justify asking for a stupid amount. No club ever has shown that much interest though and certainly not for daft money.

Only the PIF owned Saudi clubs. The non PIF owned Saudi clubs can pay whatever they want for our lads. Calls can be made and not tracked. 

1 hour ago, alexf said:

I get the need to flog some of those players mentioned it we want to progress and upgrade. 

However....it doesn't build any depth. Unless you are also going to buy a whole host of cheap young players in the summer also, then even if we replace these players with better, we are only an injury to them away from fielding the likes of Ritchie (or equivalent) again. 

I think my hope was that we would be able to phase out the likes of Miggy, Trippier, Wilson etc and they would be great fresh squad players to use where their age wouldn't be an issue not needing to play every week. 

Agreed. We’ll have poor depth until we consistently qualify for Europe it seems. Which wil make that harder to achieve. 

for Almiron I was pretty much on the opinion he is type of player who needs to turn into a bench player rather than regular starter for us to improve the squad for fight for CL regularly.

him leaving from the line up effectively means we need to replace him in the line up also his future bench role.

but if a decent offer comes from Saudi for him, with him probably 3x or 5x his salary its probably a sell worth doing if it means we can get some quality in still in January. albeit not much time left.

we certainly wouldnt try to push him for sale if no one is coming surely?

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Can someone remind me how Sesko's appearance in Newcastle with his agent was explained away? Can't remember if it was summer or last January. 

Was Jan, and pretty sure his agent met with a bunch of clubs. Us included. Think that was given as the explanation at the time. 

Edited by sushimonster85

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Can someone remind me how Sesko's appearance in Newcastle with his agent was explained away? Can't remember if it was summer or last January. 

It was July 2022 and it was only his agent that was spotted/posted on Insta.  It was assumed it would be in regards to Sesko, I think mostly because his roster of clients wasn't that great.  He was over a few weeks before Sesko signed the pre contract with Leipzig.

Edited by Scottish Mag

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

My god, I almost don't want him to sign so that twat can't belt that out at full time after he's bagged a winner.

Hey, hey Benji. I wanna knoowww. ENJOY THE GAME!