NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Is it not so simple as we are actively trying to sell one of our older players, who are coming near to the end of their shelf life anyway, in order to give us the wriggle room to recruit someone in this window?

That means you've got agents and clubs talking behind the scenes, which in turn leads to press leaks about x,y and z, alot of which is leaked precisely to garner interest from an agents end.

I suspect the club are hopping between publicly being seen to want to keep players but also dangling them in the shop window in case they can get an inflated price. There's nowt wrong with that.

In Eddie's press conference he will tell us all that he absolutely doesn't want to lose anyone and nobody should believe a word of it.:lol:

If someone drops 20m on Trippier, of course he's gone but that's a compliment in many ways because it tells us how highly the club values him.

I suspect in the final days someone who Miggy fancies joining will stump up enough to make us blink, at which point we will move on our own target. Brinkmanship ain't it.

Edited by STM

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Even the fact that we seemingly can’t buy without selling is at least an amber flag imo

Aye its shocking that we've spent so much money on players that we can longer spend on players. 

Honestly man.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Is it not so simple as we are actively trying to sell one of our older players, who are coming near to the end of their shelf life anyway, in order to give us the wriggle room to recruit someone in this window?

That means you've got agents and clubs talking behind the scenes, which in turn leads to press leaks about x,y and z, alot of which is leaked precisely to garner interest from an agents end.

I suspect the club are hopping between publicly being seen to want to keep players but also dangling them in the shop window in case they can get an inflated price. There's nowt wrong with that.

In Eddie's press conference he will tell us all that he absolutely doesn't want to lose anyone and nobody should believe a word of it.:lol:

If someone drops 20m on Trippier, of course he's gone but that's a compliment in many ways because it tells us how highly the club values him.

I suspect in the final days someone who Miggy fancies joining will stump up enough to make us blink, at which point we will move on our own target. Brinkmanship ain't it.

You would think this was pretty simple to conclude and the logic not that hard to grasp.

I get that in an ideal world we'd like to keep them all, but in reality we are forced to trade to comply with the rules. We are one of the few clubs who don't even need to turn a profit, that's the irony of it.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Aye its shocking that we've spent so much money on players that we can longer spend on players. 

Honestly man.  :lol:

Is it a positive position to be in?

Selling Miggy to fund a CM is a desperate situation. But we’ll see. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Is it a positive position to be in?

Selling Miggy to fund a CM is a desperate situation. But we’ll see. 

Such hyperbole man

14 minutes ago, STM said:

I agree with all that except last paragraph. Think the buying club will need to make Miggy to blink not ourselves. Get the feeling he’s very settled or at very least not fancying life in Saudi. Definitely more the club pushing that transfer not him.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

In what world is a team with European aspirations having Murphy as its only natural RW not a desperate situation? 

We can only make changes incrementally, man. We all knew at this point in time we'd not have upgraded everyone we'd have liked to, and have quality backups,to be realistic top 4 challengers. People are going on like we've failed because we've not made all the changes we publicly said would take a couple of seasons to make.

We started the season with 7 CMs man [emoji38]

Bruno

Miley

Willock

Joelinton

Longstaff

Anderson

Tonali

I don't think anyone would have thought we'd be in a situation where that was somehow a problem area in January. It's not been a failure of transfer strategy just absolutely terrible luck. 

Anyone talking about the transfer window without even referencing the crazy context of Pope, Targett, Tonali, Joelinton, Willock, Anderson, Barnes, Murphy and Wilson all still being out :lol:

We'd probably not even have had to look at making any signings if we had anything like a normal injury list. Fucking obviously we've had to change course a bit :lol:

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Bruno

Miley

Willock

Joelinton

Longstaff

Anderson

Tonali

I don't think anyone would have thought we'd be in a situation where that was somehow a problem area in January. It's not been a failure of transfer strategy just absolutely terrible luck. 

2WcbuX8NPlAN.gif

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Some people seem to think there’s some master - well coordinated plan where everything is premeditated and deliberate. 

At the start of the season - it was not planned to sell Wilson in January.  Increasing PSR concerns have led to this situation.  Selling Wilson is a pre-emergency lever. 

There would have been 'a' plan but it has clearly evolved. 

Edited by duo

9 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Bruno

Miley

Willock

Joelinton

Longstaff

Anderson

Tonali

I’m not counting Miley as a senior CM.

We have 6 senior CMs and a literal kid. The number of CMs is perfectly fine.  

Our summer transfer strategy left us with no room to do further business if it was needed in Jan. there were good reasons to do this. But there were also good reasons to not do it, as we are finding out now. There’s always a risk of needing to strengthen in January for whatever reason, not having any contingency budget is poor planning. 

The transfers themselves haven’t worked out at all bar 1. That’s another issue. Again, you can question the fees, profile and position of the transfers for value for money. 

Edited by The College Dropout

How about a bit of Luke Edwards to lighten the mood? From today's BBC Transfer Gossip Daily podcast:

“It was actually myself who revealed Newcastle’s interest in Onana for The telegraph this month. I’ve always thought that’s a hugely complicated deal to do £60 million. It is a lot of money to try and cough up in January when we’ve talked about PSR.

“I think what’s interesting about this is Newcastle haven’t actually managed to sell anyone. There’s been a lot of talk. We’ve had Trippier to Bayern Munich, we’ve had Wilson to clubs in Italy (AC Milan), I think that was wishful thinking. Miguel Amiron to a club in Saudi Arabia. We’ve heard all this talk, but actually the only player they’ve managed to get rid of is Javier Manquillo to Celta Vigo and I don’t think they got any money to him.

“So I don’t think Newcastle’s finances have been boosted enough as yet for that Onana deal to happen. I think if Newcastle sell someone before the end of the month, I could definitely see that Onana deal happening.

“I don’t think they will go as high as £60 million. But then obviously, you know, Everton have got to haggle. They paid a lot of money for him in the summer of 2022 from Lille, £33 million, I think so, they’ll need to make some money off it.

“I think it’s a very, very complicated deal, but I think every single deal now is complicated. Do Newcastle need another central midfielder? Absolutely. Are they working round the clock to try and get that midfielder in? Yes. The last information that came back to me was that it was proving pretty fruitless, but I think they will at least have a little dabble at Onana before the close the window, whether they sell anyone or not.

“I think if they do manage to sell somebody, I think it’ll be a toss up between wherever they go for Onana or Morgan Gibbs-White at Nottingham Forest, but both of those players incredibly hard to prise away.

“We just don’t know how much financial pressure Everton are under. We know they’ve they’ve been hit with this second charge of breaching PSR rules. We know they’ve got one hanging over and they’re appealing the first punishment, but they do have this prospect of another points deduction hanging over them. Do they need to get their affairs in order to sell somebody this month? That has been a rumour in football but I don’t know that for sure.

“I think Newcastle will probably test them and see you know how willing they are to fight to hold to Onana or do they need the money this month.

“Onana won’t be cheap for Newcastle, but he is a good fit to replace Joelinton, in the short term and potentially the medium term if Joelinton doesn’t sign a new contract. So there’s a lot of attraction there.

“It is my understanding that Newcastle is Chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan has been in the UK the last couple of days speaking to the Newcastle board. Are they going to sanction you know, a big money move?

“The money would come from from Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund. Whatever Newcastle do now would come off their summer budget, but they do need a central midfielder. I think Newcastle are the club I expect to give us the most drama, and the most intrigue as we head towards deadline day.”

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Our summer transfer strategy left us with no room to do further business if it was needed in Jan. there were good reasons to do this. But there were also good reasons to not do it, as we are finding out now. 

I think we were planning not to use the Jan window - and I suppose you can hardly blame them given that in the first part of the season we're in 3 competitions plus the Champions League.

Not sure about the Hall transfer or when the obligation triggers, but at the time getting him initially on loan was a bit of a coup.

Tonali is the real one that stings right now, but that one has been debated to death.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

How about a bit of Luke Edwards to lighten the mood? From today's BBC Transfer Gossip Daily podcast:

"It was actually myself..."

What a cunt :lol: