NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

47 minutes ago, janpawel said:

For me it's clear as day we need a better RW option, and we really can't rely on Wilson as back up, or Isak to be fit for a full season (though hopefully this changes if he has surgery etc) so another ST needed imo. Absolute worst case a RW who can play CF and we keep Wilson

The Pope injury, will he be at the same level as he was before? Beforehand, I'd have been happy with Pope as number 1 for another year, but if his levels have dropped, does it become a priority position? Mamardashvili etc and we've hopefully got our own Allison for the next 10 years? 

Botman injury, I think we'd have already been looking at a new CB, but now I assume this is higher up the list.. 

Left back situation. Major current weakness, we have Burn, Hall, Targett, Dummett (going). We we've already committed £30M+ to Hall in Summer, so can't see us going big here.... In an ideal world, sell Targett and get Lloyd Kelly on a free. Though not sure how we will ever bed Hall into the team if we keep playing with a '3rd' centre back at left back? 

Just my thoughts, and that's not even thinking about midfield. There's a few profiles we don't have, not including Bruno. 1 a athletic DM (Onana). 2 Someone who can slow the game down and control (Silva as eg). 3 someone with final third qualities (Maddison eg)

Not at all saying we need to get these types of players, Liverpool don't for example, and Howe may want our midfield to be all lungs/energy and get our goals from the wings, the counter press etc, which is likely considering the how we play and the fact we haven't addressed these types of players before 

What makes you think Isak needs surgery? First I've heard of it.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I think that's being unecessarily negative towards Howe and I think there's other factors to consider, Minteh has had a year playing in the Champions League and a decent enough Dutch division.

Also a winger is much easier to ease into a team than full backs. Hall didn't have a pre season with us

There's little point in speculating I suppose, we'll just have to wait and see. I do see your second point though.

For me, in order of priority; CB, RW, CF, CM

That's on the basis that the CB and RW would be day-one starters in the Botman/Bruno/Isak mould whereas the CF and CM would be more rotation options. Obviously if we sell Bruno then CM jumps to the top of the list and I'd probably add a GK to the shopping list.

40 minutes ago, TRon said:

20 surgeries a season and you next the next one free. We're sitting on 19, be a shame to waste it. 

58 minutes ago, TRon said:

Feel like I've read it somewhere or maybe just a rumour on here, if it's a recurring problem then an operation may fix it I'd guess 

18 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Feel like I've read it somewhere or maybe just a rumour on here, if it's a recurring problem then an operation may fix it I'd guess 

I've heard it too from Swedish "experts", that he needs groin surgery.

3 hours ago, mondonewc said:

Why doesn't Wilson have a future here as 3rd choice Striker? If he was willing to play the role think it would be perfect for us, much less likely to be injured if he rarely starts and just plays 20-30 minutes, he could score double figures doing that next season. 

Rarely starts now and still gets injured, only going to get worse with age. 

Also, only one year left on his deal and we won't give him the wages he'll be looking for his last big contract. So serves everyone well to move on this summer.

2 hours ago, janpawel said:

Fair enough. Sometimes if a player looks like he's struggling to motor you can put 2+2 together and surmise the answer must be 4. There's always a fair chance you might be right.

Didn’t know he could play left back too, sounds like a potential Burn replacement:

In this context, it seems that the priority for Newcastle should be Gonçalo Inacio. Although its termination clause is high, it is rumored that Sporting CP could be willing to negotiate a lower price. In addition, Inacio's versatility as a central defender and left-back makes it a valuable and long-term acquisition for the English team.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I'd like to pull Ana De Armas but physical appearance restrictions could prevent me.

Do you think you could pull her if you were incredibly rich?

4 hours ago, dcmk said:

My priorities would be 2x CB, LB, RW, 2x ST and a DCM.

Having written it all out it's all a bit depressing.

Even more so when we need to lose at least one player to make it happen 

7 hours ago, dcmk said:

My priorities would be 2x CB, LB, RW, 2x ST and a DCM.

Having written it all out it's all a bit depressing.

We'd have to do some serious selling to allow us to bring in and register seven new players. 

Bear in mind that if we get into Europe we need four club-developed players in the squad otherwise we'll have to register less than 25 again.

Really don’t think we need a LB. FFP no issue, sure, but we have 5 players on the books currently who can play LB. Literally a position of most depth. Even if Targett goes, it’s 4. 

16 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Really don’t think we need a LB. FFP no issue, sure, but we have 5 players on the books currently who can play LB. Literally a position of most depth. Even if Targett goes, it’s 4. 

We definitely need a left back; Tino isn’t a left back he’s done a great job standing in but he’s wasted there offensively. 

As for the rest of the left backs, Dan burn being first choice kinda tells you all you need to know about them. 

On 23/03/2024 at 16:55, TRon said:

Fair enough. Sometimes if a player looks like he's struggling to motor you can put 2+2 together and surmise the answer must be 4. There's always a fair chance you might be right.

I think if Isak definitely needed surgery you’d imagine it would happen around now tho the Botman situation makes you wonder about issues like that.

Fwiw I was chatting to my local journo mate and he was chatting to one of the Arsenal correspondents (Athletic maybe?) who was pretty convinced Arsenal are going to come sniffing around for Isak in the summer.

1 hour ago, Sibierski said:

Bizarre take. None of them are good enough.

3 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

We'd have to do some serious selling to allow us to bring in and register seven new players. 

Bear in mind that if we get into Europe we need four club-developed players in the squad otherwise we'll have to register less than 25 again.

i really don’t think that’s a problem in Europa or Conference leagues.

we should use it as an opportunity to give some of the u21s match day experience and even a few of them 20 mins here and there. 

more benefit to that than playing Longstaff for 90 every game, got to see if they have it in them or not