NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

15 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Expectations are low? [emoji38] You clearly avoid the majority of social media and half this forum.

He's also avoided the entire world of FFP :lol:

I really don't want us to buy any British/PL based players this summer. If FFP is going to be strangling the fuck out of us, I'd rather we got value for money abroad plugging as many gaps as possible rather than pay inflated fees for one or two players who probably won't even play straight away anyway.

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Is this the same Simakan who has scored 1 goal this season? How on earth do they demand 70m? 

Release clause I see..

Edited by nufc123

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Longstaff won’t be sold 

Nowhere near the level we need and Anderson/Miley can fill in the home grown quota.

Just now, nufc123 said:

Is this the same Simakan who has scored 1 goal this season? How on earth do they demand 70m? 

They haven't. That's just his release clause (and all of Leipzig's players seem to have a 70m release clause).

9 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Release clause I see..

Is he not a CB/RB… rather than a striker?

52 minutes ago, Beth said:

Nowhere near the level we need and Anderson/Miley can fill in the home grown quota.

He was a big part of the success in midfield last season and performed consistently well, he didn’t just forget how to play football. Hes best utilised when used in a side playing with sustained pressure and possession high up the pitch like much of last season, in the chaotic transitions of recent he is much less effective. I believe next season will be more similar to last season rather than this, and not to mention he has clearly been carrying an injury for weeks and weeks now. 

He’ll be back to his best next season imo.

Edited by Nine

22 minutes ago, Nine said:

He was a big part of the success in midfield last season and performed consistently well, he didn’t just forget how to play football. Hes best utilised when used in a side playing with sustained pressure and possession high up the pitch like much of last season, in the chaotic transitions of recent he is much less effective. I believe next season will be more similar to last season rather than this, and not to mention he has clearly been carrying an injury for weeks and weeks now. 

He’ll be back to his best next season imo.

But he is still extremely limited on the ball and has resorted to slowing our play down by playing it safe all the while, or worse. Just holding onto it and then diving. Which usually sets the other team away on a counter. 

He is definitely off form and playing injured, granted. But he’s hardly the sort of player you want to be bringing on in a game and if Howe is serious about wanting more control and possession. We can’t have Longstaff getting many minutes in midfield. 

He’s a Howe favourite and he clearly knows more than us. But I always feel like managers have their blind spots with players vs what the fans see and it has gotten a bit toxic with Longstaff. 

If there are any serious offers of £10m or more. I’d hope they’d look to move him on. He’s a poor footballer IMO. 

2 hours ago, Shak said:

Surely shouldn't be hard to fathom the main reason why a young Argentinian would want to play for Inter Miami right now? :lol:

ah right, him too. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

But he is still extremely limited on the ball and has resorted to slowing our play down by playing it safe all the while, or worse. Just holding onto it and then diving. Which usually sets the other team away on a counter. 

He is definitely off form and playing injured, granted. But he’s hardly the sort of player you want to be bringing on in a game and if Howe is serious about wanting more control and possession. We can’t have Longstaff getting many minutes in midfield. 

He’s a Howe favourite and he clearly knows more than us. But I always feel like managers have their blind spots with players vs what the fans see and it has gotten a bit toxic with Longstaff. 

If there are any serious offers of £10m or more. I’d hope they’d look to move him on. He’s a poor footballer IMO. 

He is technically limited for sure, that can’t be argued. But that becomes much less of an issue in a side that isn’t using quick transitions to attack, I actually think a bigger problem of his is that he doesn’t have that vision when he has little time to think.. how many times recently have we seen us try to break away quickly and he fumbles the ball or takes a easy foul while under little pressure? Hes not a transitional midfielder, but when we see most of the ball and can press at our full potential he becomes far more useful. In fact, I don’t think have any midfielders that suit fast transitional play and it’s been a big issue lately (besides Bruno anyway).

And by the way, im not saying he should be a starter. But as an option he is fine, homegrown and good around the dressing room no doubt. Keep.

Edited by Nine

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

He is technically limited for sure, that can’t be argued. But that becomes much less of an issue in a side that isn’t using quick transitions to attack, I actually think a bigger problem of his is that he doesn’t have that vision when he has little time to think.. how many times recently have we seen us try to break away quickly and he fumbles the ball or takes a easy foul while under little pressure? Hes not a transitional midfielder, but when we see most of the ball and can press at our full potential he becomes far more useful. In fact, I don’t think have any midfielders that suit fast transitional play and it’s been a big issue lately (besides Bruno anyway).

And by the way, im not saying he should be a starter. But as an option he is fine, homegrown and good around the dressing room no doubt. Keep.

I dunno. We weren’t always seeing more of the ball last season, were we? The more he gets on the ball, the worse he looks. He was always good off the ball. But he is lacking that agility with this injury and seems to be lacking aggression because of it. That’s before even factoring in his limitations. 

I think Joelinton, Willock (not in his current state) suit the setup as it is. Maybe Anderson and Miley in time could suit this midfield and also evolve and develop if and when the style does. Tonali, you’d like to think so.

Not expecting a total change round in system or anything. But some players that are a bit better and more

comfortable in possession would be nice. 

I just don’t see the point in keeping someone like that around if we can cash in and look to grow with better players. 

17 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I dunno. We weren’t always seeing more of the ball last season, were we? The more he gets on the ball, the worse he looks. He was always good off the ball. But he is lacking that agility with this injury and seems to be lacking aggression because of it. That’s before even factoring in his limitations. 

I think Joelinton, Willock (not in his current state) suit the setup as it is. Maybe Anderson and Miley in time could suit this midfield and also evolve and develop if and when the style does. Tonali, you’d like to think so.

Not expecting a total change round in system or anything. But some players that are a bit better and more

comfortable in possession would be nice. 

I just don’t see the point in keeping someone like that around if we can cash in and look to grow with better players. 

We were seeing a lot more controlled possession when we had it, this season lacks composure on the ball throughout.. it’s uncontrolled chaos a lot of the time. It leads to basketball matches, just look through our fixtures over the last 2ish months.

He is very good off the ball yes and that is my point about him being less useful in transition, if during a quick transition the ball has to go through Longstaff the attack usually fails. In a controlled press with the ball his attributes fit much better, he was good in the press last season. He is capable when the game is in our control is my main point.

Longstaff has had 2 good seasons one under Benitez and then last season. 
He is a decent premier league midfielder but that is it decent. 
he never puts a foot in and falls over so easily when tackled. He runs round like a headless chicken not really achieving much. 
from a FFP prospective he is a ideal player to sell but I doubt that will happen as I’m not sure many clubs will want him. 

1 hour ago, Toonjam88 said:

Longstaff has had 2 good seasons one under Benitez and then last season. 
He is a decent premier league midfielder but that is it decent. 
he never puts a foot in and falls over so easily when tackled. He runs round like a headless chicken not really achieving much. 
from a FFP prospective he is a ideal player to sell but I doubt that will happen as I’m not sure many clubs will want him. 

Sell him to man u for £50 million

He’s fine as a backup, but if we have to sell someone to create some FFP room and we get an offer (like the rumoured £15m from Leeds), then you’ve got to sell. You don’t stand still because you want to keep Longstaff.

28 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I could see Longstaff doing well at somewhere like Everton, under Dyche.

Which tells you quite a lot about the player tbh.

Yeah fine for backup, in an ideal world shouldn't be a starter but there is also a combination of things making him look worse, he's not that great defensively, he's not some ultra positionally aware disciplined defensive mid like Rhodri, but because he's most physically capable since Joelinton's injury he's being asked to be the deepest midfielder. Even under Benitez he played best next to Hayden rather than Shelvey. He's good at pressing high as he will win the ball back in opponents half and will score goals causing chaos in opponents half, but he offers no control and equally because he is all action he's a bit positionally suspect so may over commit and then leave defence exposed in a way a 'true' defensive mid wouldnt

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

He’s fine as a backup, but if we have to sell someone to create some FFP room and we get an offer (like the rumoured £15m from Leeds), then you’ve got to sell. You don’t stand still because you want to keep Longstaff.

Why keep him as backup when Miley has already shown he has far more potential? We'd be better to sell him, recoup the homegrown player money and keep developing Miley. We know what Longstaff is already, and he's not going to get any better.