NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

The reports at the time towards the end of the loan was Eddie not been too keen on Targett and we wanted Brunos other mate (I can’t remember his name). 

He’s going to be hard to shift if he’s in a 100k a week anarl. 

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/the-moment-eddie-howe-told-matt-targett-he-wanted-to-sign-him-for-newcastle-united-from-aston-villa-3725056

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Was linked last summer before West Ham got him 

I wonder if the media are going to mention this release clause and name which clubs might want him every fucking day of the week now?

Actually they probably will, given that West Ham aren't part of the elite.

Just now, r0cafella said:

I love Eddie but I take what he says with a handful of salt. :lol:

In the media about new signings and injuries sure, but those are quotes from Targett saying Howe told him in private before the Burnley game (last game of 21/22 season) that he wanted to sign him.

26 minutes ago, Conjo said:

In the media about new signings and injuries sure, but those are quotes from Targett saying Howe told him in private before the Burnley game (last game of 21/22 season) that he wanted to sign him.

Do you think Eddie still feels the same way ? 

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Assume he's behind Joelinton, Gordon, Barnes, Tonali, Botman and Wilson too.

No he's on more than most of  the ones you mention.

Gordon is 60k

Wilson 50k

Barnes 80k

Botman 90k

Joelinton was 85k but renewed to around 120k

Tonali I forgot, but 140k

He's like in the top five still Targett.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Gordon is 60k

Wilson 50k

Barnes 80k

Botman 90k

Double Gordon's money NOW

5 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Gordon is 60k

Wilson 50k

Barnes 80k

Botman 90k

Not sure any of this looks accurate to me.

14 minutes ago, STM said:

Not sure any of this looks accurate to me.

With the exception of Wilson, which I agree looks low given he signed a new deal whilst here, presumably on improved terms, which of those in particular seem inaccurate to you?

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

With the exception of Wilson, which I agree looks low given he signed a new deal whilst here, presumably on improved terms, which of those in particular seem inaccurate to you?

Joelinton I reckon is on more than 120. Gordon seems low but we will soon find out if he's given a new deal.

Surely with the Athletic saying Murphy will be given a chance to impress pre-seaaon, Burn and Hall on the books and chat of us being keen on Kelly, Targett's days are numbered.

Probably one of those that'll be loaned out with subsidised wages until his contract expires.

Just now, Jack27 said:

Matt Targett is not on 100k a week

Aye find it hard to believe, no shock some here do mind given its bad news therefore gospel

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

Aye find it hard to believe, no shock some here do mind given its bad news therefore gospel

It’s really not that difficult to believe given he’s had two eight-figure transfers between PL clubs (who generally pay the highest wages).

Just now, SteV said:

It’s really not that difficult to believe given he’s had two eight-figure transfers between PL clubs (who generally pay the highest wages).

The same website listed Targetts Villa wage at £35k, like fuck we trebled his wage when he needed a new club.

There is absolutely no way in the world we signed Villa’s reserve left-back for £15m and made him our 3rd (or possibly 2nd depending on what Bruno was originally on) highest earner! Absolutely zero chance! He wouldn't have been on huge money there as well! No chance!

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

The same website listed Targetts Villa wage at £35k, like fuck we trebled his wage when he needed a new club.

I can see it. 

Although it’s probably a pointless debate to get too far into, as there’s no way of actually knowing.

Just now, SteV said:

I can see it. 

Although it’s probably a pointless debate to get too far into, as there’s no way of actually knowing.

Over double what we gave our record signing at the time(Joe) :lol:

I agree its pointless, just annoying so many say its true based on it not being good news rather than any facts

Targett's been stupidly unlucky. Hebwoukdnhave been a first team regular had he got a decent run in when Burn was injured.

I still reckon a decent wedge if that £15m is retrievable if wages suit the buying team.

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Over double what we gave our record signing at the time(Joe) :lol:

I agree its pointless, just annoying so many say its true based on it not being good news rather than any facts

It’s generally a lot easier to get a player from another league on lower wages, as they will only be something low to start with.

So what would Joe have been on at Hoffenheim? 10/15k maybe? Offer to treble his wages and you’ve got him for 40/50k. 

Even a youngster  in the PL like Gordon, probably wasn’t on too much at Everton, so you can double/treble his money without going particularly high.

Once you’re going for established PL players like Targett, who’ve already had a move between PL clubs, and if they’re asking for double what they’re on, it becomes a lot more expensive.

Just now, SteV said:

It’s generally a lot easier to get a player from another league on lower wages, as they will only be something low to start with.

So what would Joe have been on at Hoffenheim? 10/15k maybe? Offer to treble his wages and you’ve got him for 40/50k. 

Even a youngster  in the PL like Gordon, probably wasn’t on too much at Everton, so you can double/treble his money without going particularly high.

Once you’re going for established PL players like Targett, who’ve already had a move between PL clubs, and if they’re asking for double what they’re on, it becomes a lot more expensive.

Not bad for a pointless discussion. Again though that same website claim we TREBLED it not doubled. Laughable really for a player facing reserve football without a move.....

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Not bad for a pointless discussion. Again though that same website claim we TREBLED it not doubled. Laughable really for a player facing reserve football without a move.....

It’s seems a bit paradoxical that we’re saying that same website was unquestionably 100% accurate with his wages at Villa, but 100% inaccurate with his wages here….

Edited by SteV

2 hours ago, Menace said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 and all that but Targett was a poor signing imo

Hindsight is selective too. For example, he played really well in the last sixteen games of 2021-22. We took 31 points from those games, only really getting tonked off Spurs and City away.
We looked dead and buried before then; 11 points from 19 games at the turn of the year. 
Obviously not just Targett making the difference, but for the difference he made in that period alone, I think he was a good signing.