NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

So far our recruitment team haven't really missed since the takeover. So while I personally wouldn't go for DCL, I will back it.

That said this link doesn't feel concrete, and a bit deflecty.

12 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The same Sean Dyche that got double figures out of Chris Wood in his four full seasons in the Premier League before joining us…

Calvert-Lewin’s is in an awful run of form and has been for years, Howe might turn that around but the risk is all on the club, as if he can’t we are lumbered with an injury prone player that we will struggle to move on.

Let's see what happens man. Agree to disagree.

Never a fan of basing signings on stats from the previous season though. Gordon's stats were nothing to rave about and people thought we were crazy when we signed Isak for what we did, based of his stats the season before too.

18 minutes ago, Pablo123 said:

And the fact he's abysmal at finishing. I've list count the amount of huge chances I've seen him miss in recent seasons.

Abysmal at finishing, because you saw him missing some big chances? My goodness man.

He was brilliant under Ancelotti, the only small bit of stability he’s had at Everton. I’m confident if he stayed fit then Howe would do wonders for him. I would still prefer us to look elsewhere mind.

Not the type of forward we need at all. Wouldn’t want to be back up and not flexible enough to go left or right of Isak to any great effect.

16 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Some on GOT believe it’s a done deal for DCL for 25M.

Well that's £25m we're never getting back.

I'm trying to work out why Howe seems to be so keen on this other than he's PL proven and English. He is a proper CF so I suppose he would compliment Isak well who is more a technical player whereas DCL is the old fashioned up and at 'em type. If it was less money I'd be more keen on it, but I'm still wary of his fitness record.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Not the type of forward we need at all. Wouldn’t want to be back up and not flexible enough to go left or right of Isak to any great effect.

I don't think we need that at all, we have so many options that can play in the wide positions (although could do with better for the right side), what we're really crying out for is more of a traditonal No.9 who is good in the air and at holding the ball up so we have a different option to Isak.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Abysmal at finishing, because you saw him missing some big chances? My goodness man.

Tbf, accoring to football reference he has scored 53 goals from 67 xG in the seasons since they've been recording xG

and 5 of those were penalties (from 6 taken)

https://fbref.com/en/players/59e6e5bf/Dominic-Calvert-Lewin

EDIT: 48 goals from 62.5 non penalty xG

Everton fans were saying he's not very clinical on their forum

Edited by Checko

2 minutes ago, Checko said:

Tbf, accoring to football reference he has scored 53 goals from 67 xG in the seasons since they've been recording xG

EDIT: 48 goals from 63 non penalty xG

He never looks very clinical when I've watched them, but he does have good movement instincts, always seems to be attacking the spaces as Lineker would say.

4 minutes ago, Checko said:

EDIT: 48 goals from 62.5 non penalty xG

Abysmal at finishing?

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well that's £25m we're never getting back.

I'm trying to work out why Howe seems to be so keen on this other than he's PL proven and English. He is a proper CF so I suppose he would compliment Isak well who is more a technical player whereas DCL is the old fashioned up and at 'em type. If it was less money I'd be more keen on it, but I'm still wary of his fitness record.

Unless the idea is to sell wilson to Saudi for £15m+ and using this deal as leverage on acceptable price. £10m to swap wilson for DCL wouldn't be the worst thing. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

He never looks very clinical when I've watched them, but he does have good movement instincts, always seems to be attacking the spaces as Lineker would say.

Yeah, a striker who's not as efficient at finishing but gets into the right positions to score more often might end up scoring as often anyway.

Just now, Dokko said:

Unless the idea is to sell wilson to Saudi for £15m+ and using this deal as leverage on acceptable price. £10m to swap wilson for DCL wouldn't be the worst thing. 

I think that's how we might be looking at it, if this rumour does have truth to it. Plus Wilson is 32 and DCL is 27, so financially not as dumb as might first appear. It means we would still go into next season with two proven strikers on our books, and while he's not Isak, he could still do a job as the alternate to give Isak some rest between games.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Abysmal at finishing?

Assuming the stats are reasonably accurate he's only scored about 3/4 of the goals he should have done based on the quality of chances over a 7 year period. That's not a great finishing record.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I think that's how we might be looking at it, if this rumour does have truth to it. Plus Wilson is 32 and DCL is 27, so financially not as dumb as might first appear. It means we would still go into next season with two proven strikers on our books, and while he's not Isak, he could still do a job as the alternate to give Isak some rest between games.

Everton keep rushing him back, I think with a little less pressure on his body he might get clear of those niggles. Hamstrings aside, nothing in his injury history which is a concern.

I think he's a better player than wilson, maybe not striker, but that could play 2 up top in support and bring others into the game. 

Eddie will know what he needs, if it's DCL then I'm on board.

From the game where Liverpool lost the league at Goodison Park. Alright, one game in isolation doesn’t mean much, but this kind of skill set / type of performance could definitely add something to us.

IMG_0860.thumb.jpeg.b627bcaafcd75e47f6951fafe1b8dd1f.jpeg

Posted (edited)

He was a handful when he played us. I don't know much about his overall game but Everton fans seem to rate him despite him not being particularly clinical so I'm sure his all round game is decent.

Wouldn't suprise me if he's another McTominay-style smokescreen though

Edited by Checko

6 minutes ago, Checko said:

Assuming the stats are reasonably accurate he's only scored about 3/4 of the goals he should have done based on the quality of chances over a 7 year period. That's not a great finishing record.

So you agree he is abysmal at finishing then yeah?

Okay, well if he signs we'll see how it all plays out in our team.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Depends how you want to define 'abysmal' really. I haven't actually said that. I've never watched him play other than a couple of games against us. He produced a lovely dinked last year though was offside.

All I can say is that from the stats he has underperformed his xG in every year but one where he was more or less on it and that over the last 7 years he's achieved 76.5% of the open play goals he should have done based on xG, which indicates to me that he's not a very clinical finisher. He's only marginally better than finishing laughing stock Darwin Nunez, who's got a 71% rate for Liverpool (though actually ranks close to expected over his career).

That doesn't mean he's not a good player or wouldn't be a good signing. But yeah, he's an abysmal finisher ;)

40 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Finishing isn't everything. Good movement, finding the spaces, aerial power are other factors which contribute to goals. DCL can be a handful, he'd be a decent second striker for most teams. I'd rather have Alverez for sure, but I don't think we are quite there yet. :lol:

58 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Let's see what happens man. Agree to disagree.

Never a fan of basing signings on stats from the previous season though. Gordon's stats were nothing to rave about and people thought we were crazy when we signed Isak for what we did, based of his stats the season before too.

We were buying untapped potential with Gordon and Isak though.

Signing DCL would be similar to signing Antony Martial from Man Utd, it is a signing that if any of the other clubs pushing for European football were to make we would be laughing at them, instead we are hoping Howe can work some magic with him.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Finishing isn't everything. Good movement, finding the spaces, aerial power are other factors which contribute to goals. DCL can be a handful, he'd be a decent second striker for most teams. I'd rather have Alverez for sure, but I don't think we are quite there yet. :lol:

The chances he gets at Everton will be very different to the ones here. Less of them, more pressure on the next one. 

Think his strike rate under ancellotti is probably more telling of what level he's at. 

Posted (edited)

Transfer windows are a bit like Christmases these days. They usually get us one big special gift (Bruno, Isak, Sandro) and a few smaller ones. Mama, Tosin and Kelly are stocking fillers, so there's no way DCL is the shiny new 5 gears Raleigh Activator. 

Brace yourselves for the big one, kids. Yasser got stuck up the chimney.

Edited by Monkey Alan