Tino Livramento

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Nah,

It's just an accounting trick. You basically say the contract has no value to me in the future so I am going to take all of the remaining cost in one year. 

The cash still goes to the player every month until the contract ends / they are sold

While we still have to pay them monthly having the cash to do that has never been the problem. Our issue is them being an impact on FFP, which they wouldn’t be if we have already written that cost off in one hit.

That would be my understanding of it.

5 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

While we still have to pay them monthly having the cash to do that has never been the problem. Our issue is them being an impact on FFP, which they wouldn’t be if we have already written that cost off in one hit.

That would be my understanding of it.

Wages also have an impact on FFP though? 

11 minutes ago, andycap said:

In the clips of him on YouTube he looks to be technically sound on the ball. And he seems quite nippy. Has lots for eddie to work with. 

He wansgreat for Southampton the other season. Stood out as one of their best players until his injury

Happy with thi for that price think it's a quality signing

Edited by Gazzaschicken

2 minutes ago, Viana said:

I wouldn't herald the end of Ashby just yet. He needs football and so I think he'll be loaned and Livramento will be added into the rotation of league and cup.

Or we just dump Krafth and Manquillo and free up two spaces in the 25 man squad

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Find it a peculiar signing really. We currently have Trippier, Krafth, Ashby and Manquillo all currently on the books who can play RB so surely this means at least a couple will be on their bike. Maybe Ashby gets a loan. 

Trippier is 33 and our most important player. 

The jump from him to the others is too big.  We need a better quality back-up. 

And it’s just great value for money. 

Only issue is the injury. 

I totally get this and agree with you on most parts but I think we are a much stronger squad if we have a LB who offers a bit more going forward and has a bit more pace to recover with. Also allows us to use Burn as CB3 or CB4 in an emergency if we have a new LB who can at the very least compete with Targett. 

I think part of the reason we were so reliant on attacking down the right is because as much as I love DB he really offers almost nothing going forward. He also requires a LW who is very conscious of tracking back to cover him in any counter situation. 

Its strange to say this because Burn had a really impressive season however stylistically and tactically I think we would really really benefit from a more balanced all round LB. 

18 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

When will people realize that we are unlikely to get a Dan Burn replacement?

At least not until you have cover for Trippier and also a different profile that would let a LB go out while the RB sits back more to form a 3 in the back as we do now. 

Not to mention. The drop, if any, from DB to Targett is nowhere like the drop from Tripps to anyone else.

And I'm not even a local or a huge DB fan. But the takes here calling for him to be replaced are silly.

In any case, this would be a very good add if we can make it happen. Given the buy back clause, and Chelsea not triggering it, i would say that's the ceiling. A deal to be made around 18m

Sorry my post above was meant to quote this^

2 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I totally get this and agree with you on most parts but I think we are a much stronger squad if we have a LB who offers a bit more going forward and has a bit more pace to recover with. Also allows us to use Burn as CB3 or CB4 in an emergency if we have a new LB who can at the very least compete with Targett. 

I think part of the reason we were so reliant on attacking down the right is because as much as I love DB he really offers almost nothing going forward. He also requires a LW who is very conscious of tracking back to cover him in any counter situation. 

Its strange to say this because Burn had a really impressive season however stylistically and tactically I think we would really really benefit from a more balanced all round LB. 

I disagree on couple of points. We rely on the right side because Trippier is a special talent with the ball. The drop off from Trippier to Ashby/Krafth/Manquillo is a lot bigger than the drop off from Burn to Targett considering how important Trippier is to us.

Would still like to sign a LB too but a competent RB cover is IMO more important than a new LB right now.

19 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Sometimes wonder if people still think we're in the Ashley days and only allowed to sign purples 

This could be a really good addition to the squad and he's got his best years a long way in front of him.

No it's not that, just with the FFP restrictions I am a bit surprised that we've gone for a righy back. And like I said, it does make you wonder if Ashby was/is really anywhere close to first team football.

But obviously if we can afford it bring on all the signings, and then some.

Absolutely fine with this sort of transfer being as my biggest concern last season was thinness of squad especially given the way we play and how much they give. Was bound to be dips if not injuries. Can negate that with this sort of thing.

Not sure it will happen, especially if they want 30m (Maddison might not end up going for much more than that).

'Tino!, there's only two Tino's' chant good to go though?!

1 hour ago, Pata said:

I disagree on couple of points. We rely on the right side because Trippier is a special talent with the ball. The drop off from Trippier to Ashby/Krafth/Manquillo is a lot bigger than the drop off from Burn to Targett considering how important Trippier is to us.

Would still like to sign a LB too but a competent RB cover is IMO more important than a new LB right now.

I almost agree with this. I said cover for Trippier was more important than others have suggested because the drop off in quality is crazy. But I do think a LB is more important (not that it relates to this transfer). Trippier cannot play every single game the way he has this season. 

This to me is like the Pope transfer - as in - if not for relegation we probably won’t have prioritised strengthening the position. But now there’s an opportunity to increase the quality of the squad at a fair price (anything under £20m is a steal) and this one has a crazy ceiling and good resale value. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Find it a peculiar signing really. We currently have Trippier, Krafth, Ashby and Manquillo all currently on the books who can play RB so surely this means at least a couple will be on their bike. Maybe Ashby gets a loan. 

Sell Manq, loan Ashby. I’d keep Krafth for now because he can play at CB in a pinch (unless I just made that up…?)

2 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Sell Manq, loan Ashby. I’d keep Krafth for now because he can play at CB in a pinch (unless I just made that up…?)

Krafth did play some CB but it was in a back five iirc.

Edited by Pata

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I almost agree with this. I said cover for Trippier was more important than others have suggested because the drop off in quality is crazy. But I do think a LB is more important (not that it relates to this transfer). Trippier cannot play every single game the way he has this season. 

This to me is like the Pope transfer - as in - if not for relegation we probably won’t have prioritised strengthening the position. But now there’s an opportunity to increase the quality of the squad at a fair price (anything under £20m is a steal) and this one has a crazy ceiling and good resale value. 

It’s certainly close between a new LB and RB. I’m a bit of a Burn fanboy so leaning on RB and Targett is a better back up than anything we have at RB behind the starter. Also with Trippier’s age we can’t just have him play that much next season to keep him fit and fresh.

Hope we get both but backup RB definitely hasn’t been talked about enough here as a need.

Edited by Pata

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is my take on it too. The message from the club has been that they’ve got their targets but if there’s a suitable deal to be done that surfaces they’ll look very closely at it. From what I’ve seen of Livramento he looked very promising so additional squad depth, talent and any potential versatility (if he can play LB/LWB*) is definitely an opportunity worth looking at should the price suit.

An ACL is always a concern but I’m no medic so would hope it’s focused on during any medical check but that and the price is down to the club to be happy with for me.

* Edit: Just had a look on some Southampton forums and they all seem to see him purely as a right sided player - they’re fuming at the thought of a lowball price too, can’t blame them for that.

Edited by Magnus