Harvey Barnes

khay

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

£40m would be a brilliant price for ASM mind.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

We could legitimately get £50m if we sold to a Saudi club.

I agree with @TRon. As the article states Neves is same age and only 1yr on contract and went for £50m

Zaha was offered a 3 year £100m wage deal.

For a new league and let’s face it wether you like him or not potentially one of the most exciting players to watch £50-60m from Saudi should be the going rate and couldn’t be questioned.

Article is tosh, we’re water tight internally so no chance this is based on any genuine info from the club.

Having said that he’s suggesting a fee north of £50m which we’d be crazy to turn down. 

25 minutes ago, TRon said:

No one does, it's just educated guesswork. But some stories make more sense than others, this one definitely feels like it's based on real possibility if you believe that Howe really does rate Barnes, and I reckon he does.

Yeah its just the writing. May sell this window, or the next, or the next. 

1 minute ago, Scotty66 said:

Would be gutted if he goes. 

Article is bullshit though and just looking for clicks imo. 

Imagining Maxi in that league is funny though, he would absolutely destroy it. 

Don’t see any reason fitness aside he couldn’t destroy the EPL this year also. If he doesn’t sell him with 2 years left on his contract and he’d still be attractive to the Saudis at 27 not that age seems to be even a consideration for them currently.

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

If the decision is to sell Maxi when his stock is low to fund signing Harvey Barnes then that’s straight up dumb as fuck. Some fans have developed a weird narrative around ASM for the last season and seem determine to see him as shit. The stats only problem is perfectly illustrated here because Barnes on paper is way better but doesn’t cause the opposition the same tactical alternation Maxi causes. 

It’s such a backwards step. Before people say trust Howe/Ashworth Liverpool were the best team in the world for a couple of season with fantastic recruitment then made some dumb signings. Mistakes can be made. 

This tactical alteration thing may have some truth in it, but it also feels way too overblown and quite convenient as there's not really a way to disprove it. He's not Messi and it doesn't matter how good he is if he's not first choice for the manager. Plus, it's not "dumb as fuck" when you do the math:

Barnes in: 

£35m fee, 5 year deal - £80k / wk (double current reported wages)

FFP: £7m/yr amortized fee + £4.16m/yr wages = £11.16m/yr

Maxi out:

£40m fee

FFP: £40m - remaining £6.75m amortization (estimate based on extension) = £33.25m profit + £3.64m wages saved per year

2023/24 - £36.89m in/saved - £11.16m spent = £25.73m profit

2024/25 - £3.64m saved - £11.16m = £7.52m loss

2025/26 - £3.64m saved - £11.16m = £7.52m loss

That's a £10.5m profit even looking out to the 25/26 three year period, but that £25m profit is even more important for this season's and next season's three year period given the spending we had to do over the last two years and the lack of salable assets / commercial revenue. 

We are going to have to sell players. We are going to have to sell players that are good and other clubs want. 

4 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Absolutely agree. That performance against Man City is what he's capable of. Truly breath taking. We just need to find a way to get him playing like that consistently. 

We've been saying this for years; it isn't going to happen. Even if he was always at his maximum, to replicate the Man City performance you need the opposition to play openly and with an onus on attacking; that doesn't happen at SJP.

Just now, Yorkie said:

We've been saying this for years; it isn't going to happen. Even if he was always at his maximum, to replicate the Man City performance you need the opposition to play openly and with an onus on attacking; that doesn't happen at SJP.

It'll never happen, he will never hit the level of consistency. 

11 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Absolutely agree. That performance against Man City is what he's capable of. Truly breath taking. We just need to find a way to get him playing like that consistently. 

Won't happen as that was a one off.

He's never shown consistency and if it is going to take 5-6 games every time he's back from injury to get back up to speed again, it's even less likely.

Edited by Aiston

If Saint-Maximin was capable of putting in performances akin to his v Man City (H) every week he probably wouldn't be playing for us. 

But he's the only one in the squad capable of a performance like that against a side like that. Man City were terrified of him. Getting rid of a player that has that factor is not something I think we should do.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

If Saint-Maximin was capable of putting in performances akin to his v Man City (H) every week he probably wouldn't be playing for us. 

But he's the only one in the squad capable of a performance like that against a side like that. Man City were terrified of him. Getting rid of a player that has that factor is not something I think we should do.

I reckon Isak falls into that bracket as well, tbf.

I'd welcome Barnes here, but I don't like the idea that selling our 1 and only true dribbling and create something out of nothing player to fund the Barnes purchase. 

As it stands, seems like it's obvious we have an interest in Barnes and hey may indeed be keen to come here, but it's likely not as advanced as reported on Friday. 

14 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

This tactical alteration thing may have some truth in it, but it also feels way too overblown and quite convenient as there's not really a way to disprove it. He's not Messi and it doesn't matter how good he is if he's not first choice for the manager. Plus, it's not "dumb as fuck" when you do the math:

Barnes in: 

£35m fee, 5 year deal - £80k / wk (double current reported wages)

FFP: £7m/yr amortized fee + £4.16m/yr wages = £11.16m/yr

Maxi out:

£40m fee

FFP: £40m - remaining £6.75m amortization (estimate based on extension) = £33.25m profit + £3.64m wages saved per year

2023/24 - £36.89m in/saved - £11.16m spent = £25.73m profit

2024/25 - £3.64m saved - £11.16m = £7.52m loss

2025/26 - £3.64m saved - £11.16m = £7.52m loss

That's a £10.5m profit even looking out to the 25/26 three year period, but that £25m profit is even more important for this season's and next season's three year period given the spending we had to do over the last two years and the lack of salable assets / commercial revenue. 

We are going to have to sell players. We are going to have to sell players that are good and other clubs want. 

:thup: hate to lose him but Ffp-wise what could that mean for our transfer budget with selling him and without?

Depends what you mean by 'a performance like that'. In the narrow sense of doing what ASM did in that game then obviously there are only 1 or 2 candidates in the squad who have the potential to play like that. We played quite high risk against City with ASM pushed right up but thats not the only way to play against them or to win games against elite teams. 

I think there's numerous players in our squad the management would sell if a great offer comes in. Maxi will be the most obvious one with his injury record. But I do think baldy is just hoying maxi and the Barnes rumour together for clicks. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

“There is nothing to stop them also bidding for players on Newcastle’s books but the Premier League will be watching to ensure any transfer fee reflects fair market value.

Given his age and the fact he still has three years left on his contract, the reported £50 million Al-Hilal paid for Portugal international Neves, who is the same age as Saint-Maximin, but only had one year left on his contract at Wolves, will be a useful benchmark.

Newcastle are wrestling with FFP restrictions and multiple sources have informed Telegraph Sport that they will have to sell players to balance the books, if not this summer, then certainly in the next two transfer windows.”

“Fair” market value doesn’t extend to transfer fees, does it..?

Selling ASM if there’s a good fee on the table is a no brainer to me. As much as I rate his ability and like watching him, I have no faith in his ability to stay fit. It’s no use keeping him around as £40m mascot.

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

Selling ASM if there’s a good fee on the table is a no brainer to me. As much as I rate his ability and like watching him, I have no faith in his ability to stay fit. It’s no use keeping him around as £40m mascot.

Agreed 

In a way, Maxi gets better the better our squad becomes. 

He has to play less, meaning he can stay fit and be used more effectively.

CL teams are less prepared for him, the games are sexier which he’ll love.  

People are on his wavelength and might actually finish all the chances he creates. Tonali bangs a goal in where Willock or Longstaff blaze it over the bar.

Overall it’s a bad time to let him go. 

Also, I really don’t believe we need to sell for financial reasons. Bollocks. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Why is this Barnes thing even being discussed at this stage? Surely we have registered interest - whatever the fuck that even means - with a number of clubs and a number of players. And since that seems to be it, what the fuck are people banging on about? This is nothing.