Harvey Barnes

khay

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Goal or assist every 96 minutes.

"jury's out" though. :lol:

Considering the time out he had for injury he's contributing nicely and you can tell Eddie is managing his minutes and getting him back up to speed in a staggered fashion. Full pre-season behind him and I think he'll post similar numbers to Gordon next season if he gets the minutes.

40 minutes ago, Aiston said:

He's been absolutely fine this season when fit, saved us plenty of points as well.

If he had the full season I think he'd be posting Anthony Gordon numbers tbh (perhaps with less penalties won).

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I said it in a different thread. I looked through Leicester fans opinion about him, and the main complaint was inconsistency. That he gets lost in games. It seems like that's what's happening, one game he looks like a fantastic signing, and in another he looks like a pretty bad one.

Edited by Erikse

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ben said:

I wonder if Howe has thought of playing Barnes as a central Striker, he's a great goalscorer 

He has started just 2 games as a CF for Leicester. I would assume that there's a reason for that. I think that it's easier for him to drive forward with his pace from the wing. It actually says that he started a youth game as a DM, maybe that's where we should play him?:lol:

Edited by Erikse

11 minutes ago, Erikse said:

He has started just 2 games as a CF for Leicester. I would assume that there's a reason for that. I think that it's easier for him to drive forward with his pace from the wing. It actually says that he started a youth game as a DM, maybe that's where we should play him?:lol:

He is at his best when he can isolate and use pace against someone 1v1 to cut inside. I mean it’s possible as a cf, just way easier on the wing hugging the line or breaking behind the LB/RB when pulling him wide.

Difficult to judge Barnes on this seasons performance.  Unfortunately it's been a bit of a wasted season for him.

Hasn't even played a third of the season and finished with 5 goals & 3 assists. Here's why I'd happily see us go with him LW and Gordon RW next season. Might take some of Gordon's numbers down a bit (he showed the couple of games he did play on the right that he can hurt teams still) but Barnes has proven he can get those numbers himself pretty consistently, and could do even better in this team.

Get shot of Miggy, keep Minteh and Murphy around as back up and I think we could go again even stronger next season.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Hasn't even played a third of the season and finished with 5 goals & 3 assists. Here's why I'd happily see us go with him LW and Gordon RW next season. Might take some of Gordon's numbers down a bit (he showed the couple of games he did play on the right that he can hurt teams still) but Barnes has proven he can get those numbers himself pretty consistently, and could do even better in this team.

Get shot of Miggy, keep Minteh and Murphy around as back up and I think we could go again even stronger next season.

Sounds a good except the evidence suggests Howe intends for Barnes and Gordon to compete for the LW primarily.  If both are fit (and so is our main striker) 1 starts, the other is benched.  

Standalone - that is top quality depth at LW. 

Wider picture. We may have been better off strengthening RW. But the season is done now. 

Edited by The College Dropout

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Completely agree. It’s an unpopular view, but for me Barnes is a better LW. I genuinely think he potentially has elite level quality in the final third and he’d be nailed to start there next season for me. With Gordon right wing and Minteh to compete I don’t think we necessarily need a major signing in those positions. A new body yes, I don’t think we need to spend most of the budget there (I’d be selling Almiron & potentially Murphy). 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Sounds a good except the evidence suggests Howe intends for Barnes and Gordon to compete for the LW primarily.  If both are fit (and so is our main striker) 1 starts, the other is benched.  

Standalone - that is top quality depth at LW. 

Wider picture. We may have been better off strengthening RW. But the season is done now. 

Agreed, but I wonder if we just couldn't identify a RW that we wanted, could afford, and could secure the deal for. I kind of hope that was the case, anyhow.

To be honest, I think there is plenty of game time for both Barnes and Gordon at LW. It's just a shame we got both the two LWs in first and not one for either side.

We must sign a RW this summer.... regardless of whether Gordon can play there.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We still need a quality RW and I'm not a fan of moving our POTY from his best position. After the season we've had it's wild to see suggestions that we go to the next season with unproven Minteh and Murphy as the only backups at right, Joelinton at left (and he's probably needed elsewhere). Just one injury to Gordon/Barnes/Isak and we would have a reshuffled forward line and be struggling again with fatigue really quickly.

Edited by Pata

One of the few positions we have genuine quality in depth, which we've been screaming out for the last two seasons across all positions, and there's talk of shoehorning Gordon out right to make room for Barnes :lol:

Lets get a quality RW that can slot right into the side, with Murphy, Almiron and/or Minteh providing cover so we can fight on all fronts next season without fear of not fielding a good enough team to be competitive or risking fatigue injuries.

16 hours ago, STM said:

To be honest, I think there is plenty of game time for both Barnes and Gordon at LW. It's just a shame we got both the two LWs in first and not one for either side.

We must sign a RW this summer.... regardless of whether Gordon can play there.

Simply have to sign a RW, I’ll go berserk and smash the flat up if it’s Miggy and Murphy next season 😡😂