Harvey Barnes

khay

Just now, The Prophet said:

I'm not sure that's true, Barnes has never really been a grafter.

I mean more in the sense that he’ll be fresh rotation meat to go at and beyond an already flagging full back. The philosophy of the signing was sound but the reality has played out unfortunately since Harvinho broke his velociraptor foot.

Just now, Nucasol said:

I mean more in the sense that he’ll be fresh rotation meat to go at and beyond an already flagging full back. The philosophy of the signing was sound but the reality has played out unfortunately since Harvinho broke his velociraptor foot.

I'm with you :thup:

Personally I think we saw a clinical player in a squad lacking them out wide and in midfield.

We were often credited with a creative problem last season when it was more often than not wastefulness in front of goal.

He thrived on one-twos at Leicester, so it'll naturally take a bit of time for him to find his flow with our lot. Once it clicks I think he'll be a real asset and worth every penny.

As far as I'm concerned, there have been enough flashes so I'm not worried. 

8 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

He'll be up and down while he builds himself up. He's missed a lot of football.

Of course. He's probably played about 200 minutes since Sheff Utd. As long as he's showing signs then I'm happy (goal v Luton, that burst that opened up the space leading to the goal at Arsenal, even the shot that went not far over last night). 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm with you :thup:

Personally I think we saw a clinical player in a squad lacking them out wide and in midfield.

We were often credited with a creative problem last season when it was more often than not wastefulness in front of goal.

I think the data would back up this view. 

From an eye test though, the team has always lacked guile going forward - some footballing ability.  

It’s these last 3 major signings (Tonali, Gordon, Barnes) that make people think has a preference of physicality over technical ability. For their positions they are not as technical as Bruno or Isak.  

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

From an eye test though, the team has always lacked guile going forward - some footballing ability.  

It’s these last 3 major signings (Tonali, Gordon, Barnes) that make people think has a preference of physicality over technical ability. For their positions they are not as technical as Bruno or Isak.  

We definetly lack technical players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. Longstaff, Joelinton and Almiron have been good players for us over the last couple of years, but they lack that quality.

Not unusual for players who’ve been out for a long while to have a storming game back and then a few sub par performances. Adrenaline gets them through the 1st one. After that the lack of match sharpness takes a while.

He’ll look better in 2-3 weeks.

Same with Willock.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Unfair on Gordon who is technically excellent, and possibly on Tonali too.

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Unfair on Gordon who is technically excellent, and possibly on Tonali too.

Gordon is very solid technically but he's not progressive or creative with the ball. For a winger he doesn't beat a man often or carry the ball loads. He doesn't often play a cute pass through the lines.

All the cute passing comes from Schar, Trippier & Bruno. All the progressive running on the ball comes from Willock, Joelinton and Livra.

Neither Gordon or Tonali or the type to pass it through the lines loads. Tonali has a great switch and cross mind and can run with it. Gordon is a nice crosser off both feet too.

The technical profile I'm describing is more Paqueta, Maddison & Palmer. Having another proper baller will help us keep possession better and higher up the pitch.

10 hours ago, Big Jow said:

He’s a vast improvement on Murphy.

That's not really much of a compliment tbh. But he is coming back from a long layoff, might be as @madras said, he is just a bit rusty.

Gordon is excellent at cutting inside with the ball and always beats his man or wins the foul. Down the line it’s different. Barnes is all about receiving the ball in the final 25 yards, cutting in and striking at goal. His game is fairly limited but extremely effective when used properly 

Hasn't been as clinical as you'd expect in the last few matches, and that is basically his entire game and why we signed him. If he isn't clinical, he's borderline useless, as brutal as it sounds. He's the wing equivalent of an Inzaghi. 

24 minutes ago, huss9 said:

fucking hell.

If that's in response to my post, is it incorrect? He's a pure output player, he doesn't offer much else. If he's off form, he'll look terrible and receive criticism as we've seen today. If he's on form, he'll win games for you. 

I can understand being gutted at how off he was at times last night, the whole game was frustrating as hell. But I think the most annoying thing for me was seeing posts in reaction pining for Maxi in the match thread, as if he was some paragon of efficiency in his time (or would've even been fit if he was still here :lol:). 

I know, I know, stats aren't the be all and end all. But a quick check says 2 goals and an assist in 335 minutes since joining, a goal involvement every 111 minutes. Not a bad start considering most of those minutes were off the bench and half of them after a four month layoff in which he's obviously going to need time to get up to speed.

I have every faith he's going to come very good in the long-term considering we've already begun to see glimpses again since that return.

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

I can understand being gutted at how off he was at times last night, the whole game was frustrating as hell. But I think the most annoying thing for me was seeing posts in reaction pining for Maxi in the match thread, as if he was some paragon of efficiency in his time (or would've even been fit if he was still here :lol:). 

I know, I know, stats aren't the be all and end all. But a quick check says 2 goals and an assist in 335 minutes since joining, a goal involvement every 111 minutes. Not a bad start considering most of those minutes were off the bench and half of them after a four month layoff in which he's obviously going to need time to get up to speed.

I have every faith he's going to come very good in the long-term considering we've already begun to see glimpses again since that return.

really dont understand the current criticism of him.

someone also claimed willock had been "anonymous".

fucking hell, anyone on here ever played sport?

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Hasn't been as clinical as you'd expect in the last few matches, and that is basically his entire game and why we signed him. If he isn't clinical, he's borderline useless, as brutal as it sounds. He's the wing equivalent of an Inzaghi. 

Scores a crucial equaliser v Luton. 'Hasn't been as clinical as you'd expect' :anguish:

35 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Scores a crucial equaliser v Luton. 'Hasn't been as clinical as you'd expect' :anguish:

One goal doesn't change the fact that in recent weeks he's missed some pretty good chances in general like, including in open play and from the spot yesterday. I'm sure he'd admit himself that he's not on his best form, considering at Leicester he had a reputation for being clinical for a winger. 

You've either deliberately or inadvertently mistook my comment as criticism for him as a player, when in fact I'm saying his bar for end product is usually extremely high. We bought him for that reason alone. I literally compared him to a wide version of Inzaghi, which is hardly a criticism. 

His game is almost entirely based around his movement and finishing, so when that is missing and his confidence in front of goal is low, which it certainly looked yesterday, he looks like a poor player as he doesn't offer a great deal else. 

Said it since the beginning, I think it was an odd signing and a bit of a waste of money imo that should have been spent better. He’s a decent player that is a good finisher. I still stand by that. I’m not saying this because of the bad luck and that he got injured straight away. It’s based on what i thought about him even before he signed for us. 

12 hours ago, wormy said:

Per 90 minutes stats don't count unless you've played at least 3000 minutes, see ASM thread last summer for confirmation. :bluestar:

Edited by Pata

I think it’s a bit unfair for him to compare with ASM. I mean, our team lacks creativity and pure footballing ability and that’s what ASM is excelled at. Of course he looks like a downgrade (which is correct imo) but that’s not his fault. It’s Ashworth/Howe decision to sell ASM and buy Barnes.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I think it’s a bit unfair for him to compare with ASM. I mean, our team lacks creativity and pure footballing ability and that’s what ASM is excelled at. Of course he looks like a downgrade (which is correct imo) but that’s not his fault. It’s Ashworth/Howe decision to sell ASM and buy Barnes.

jesus christ. Not this again. Unlike ASM, he has a pretty prolific goal scoring record in the PL.