Harvey Barnes

khay

7 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Not particularly keen on this. Doesn't improve our first 11 imo. 

On the left we already have ASM who is better when fit, Gordon who is younger and Joelinton who played there when we played our best football of the season.

Not really sure how much more Barnes offers. If we were going to sign a left winger, id want someone quality who improves the 11. 

ASM is never fit. Gordon is younger? What kind of argument is that? ? Agree with Joelinton though, but guess we will need him in midfield over a long season.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Not particularly keen on this. Doesn't improve our first 11 imo. 

On the left we already have ASM who is better when fit, Gordon who is younger and Joelinton who played there when we played our best football of the season.

Not really sure how much more Barnes offers. If we were going to sign a left winger, id want someone quality who improves the 11. 

Barnes is way more productive than ASM has been. He provides more goal threat. ASM may dribble more but doesn't offer that much in way of assists or goals and is often frustrating. Having someone that can score outside or inside box compliments Isaak and Wilson when teams try to stay deep. I think it's a really good signing for us. He can probably help out more defensively than ASM as well.

Never quite get the negativity considering where we have been. I trust Howe/Ashworth and the rest to get it right more often than wrong so going to trust that and they must have seen something to think he's a good fit with the team/tactics etc.

5 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

ASM is never fit. Gordon is younger? What kind of argument is that? ? Agree with Joelinton though, but guess we will need him in midfield over a long season.

More to the point, Barnes is 25 and approaching his peak. Gordon is 22 and played over 100 fewer games than Barnes. There's more room for Gordon to develop as opposed to Barnes. 

If we're signing him to replace ASM, it's a drop off in quality. Regardless of how fit ASM is. We'll see like.

10 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

Barnes is way more productive than ASM has been. He provides more goal threat. ASM may dribble more but doesn't offer that much in way of assists or goals and is often frustrating. Having someone that can score outside or inside box compliments Isaak and Wilson when teams try to stay deep. I think it's a really good signing for us. He can probably help out more defensively than ASM as well.

Never quite get the negativity considering where we have been. I trust Howe/Ashworth and the rest to get it right more often than wrong so going to trust that and they must have seen something to think he's a good fit with the team/tactics etc.

ASM had really high xA per 90 last season, way ahead of Barnes.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

ASM had really high xA per 90 last season, way ahead of Barnes.

And Barnes scored the same number of goals last season as ASM has in his entire NUFC career.

Depends what you value I suppose.

16 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Are we waiting for a “there’s been no contact but Newcaslte like the player” tweet from Hope or Edwards or is this one a goer 

May well have come from the Leicester side. No idea about the reliability of lads from the Torygraph and Graun who broke it.

I guess the way Eddie might be looking at it is if ASM isn't injured he'll still need his minutes managing and he'd prefer to use Joelinton in the middle, otherwise we look short there.

He probably doesn't want to be in s position where he has to play Isak out there again.

Edited by The Prophet

Barnes had way goals than Grealish and Bernardo Silva too. Let's not pretend being a wide player is as simple as looking at goalscoring stats. 

Barnes is alright but he's very one dimensional. His entire game is playing one twos to get in behind and having a shot. And his goalscoring output last season didn't exactly do much to keep Leicester in the PL.

Personally not convinced he's a CL level player, although I don't think he's a terrible signing.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Barnes had way goals than Grealish and Bernardo Silva too. Let's not pretend being a wide player is as simple as looking at goalscoring stats. 

Barnes is alright but he's very one dimensional. His entire game is playing one twos to get in behind and having a shot. And his goalscoring output last season didn't exactly do much to keep Leicester in the PL.

Personally not convinced he's a CL level player, although I don't think he's a terrible signing.

Scoring goals wasn’t the reason Leicester went down, incredibly harsh to even mention his goal scoring in relation to them being relegated.

10 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

If we're signing him to replace ASM, it's a drop off in quality. Regardless of how fit ASM is. We'll see like.

I mean, in terms of how much fun to watch they are ASM is clearly of higher quality.

But I'm not sure how you can look at how productive they've been in their careers and come to the conclusion that Barnes is a drop off from Maxi.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

This is a really strange take on things.

I've not seen Barnes have a game like ASM did last year against Man City. I don't think he's a player who can terrorise and unsettle the opposition with the ball. Nor does he have the cuteness to be a low block breaker like Maddison is. That's why I'm slightly concerned at the signing. You've got to look past pure stats output and see what he's going to offer in your team. I'd imagine Howe et al have done that and definitely sees how his game (particularly workrate and off the ball movement) will perhaps compliment our game - he's just not a signing who really excites me.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

But he doesn't just score goals... Before last season, he was getting plenty of assists.

He's proven himself to be a very effective final third player in the PL. That much is obvious.

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I've not seen Barnes have a game like ASM did last year against Man City. I don't think he's a player who can terrorise and unsettle the opposition with the ball. Nor does he have the cuteness to be a low block breaker like Maddison is. That's why I'm slightly concerned at the signing. You've got to look past pure stats output and see what he's going to offer in your team. I'd imagine Howe et al have done that and definitely sees how his game (particularly workrate and off the ball movement) will perhaps compliment our game - he's just not a signing who really excites me.

But you have probably seen Barnes have better games than all of ASM’s games after Man City. And there lies the problem, consistency. Something Barnes can offer more of I suppose.

Looking at @kocunar’s great FFP analysis then he’ll be one of the two 30m ish players we’ll be looking to bring in to compete for a starting spot. Expecting a defensive addition in the same price bracket next.

Limited player tactically but great end-product at a no-brainer of a price. I think  the only concern is that we’ll be selling a massive talent in ASM for him; if that isn’t the case then he’s quite a sensible signing.

Cant believe the debate of ASM Vs Barnes is even happening. Watching ASM is like pulling teeth most the time. He's another sissoko, not enough productivity. The level has outgrown him and that showed lat season. Barnes would have been out 2nd top scorer last season with his stats.

Edited by Gazzaschicken