Harvey Barnes

khay

4 minutes ago, madras said:

Bruno plays a killer pass and he's likely to get further forward with Tonali in the team 

A lot will depend on him doing that if you have a front 3 of Gordon/Almiron, Isak and Barnes. 

Gordon shows some signs of getting his head up, but Barnes and Almiron are very head down type of players for me.

Edited by Whitley mag

I like him. Excellent addition in the context of needing to build a squad and have several options. Will be a great addition under Howe.

I'd say a RM would be very welcome at this stage, but I think with Barnes we'll get flexibility in how we attack teams.

3 hours ago, Pata said:

He has outgained his xA a lot during his career, roughly 15 xA that somehow turned to 25 assists. Feel like some of that is down to Tielemans’ and Maddison’s shooting ability and Vardy’s running power without looking at them more deeply.

Don't bring Tielemans into this, he's shite

Not sure what to make of this, if we are indeed FFP constrained surely a left winger isn’t what we need?

never the less he’s a good player and would Improve us but this would make us awfully lopsided. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Not sure what to make of this, if we are indeed FFP constrained surely a left winger isn’t what we need?

never the less he’s a good player and would Improve us but this would make us awfully lopsided. 

He’s a forward isn’t he?

Prefer to watch ASM ??‍♂️ Nothing I’ve seen from Barnes would make me want to pay and see him. Maybe that’s the appeal and his numbers are greater than his fee ??‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

There's no doubting the oddness of the signing given the sheer number of existing options in that position... but there's also no doubting Howe's aptitude and his clarity of vision. There'll be a plan here; looking forward to seeing what it is. Having loads of options is no bad thing when you're competing on four fronts. 

Gordon is primarily a RW imo, granted he played left a lot last season, but I see it as Barnes/ASM LW & Gordon/Almiron RW.

Yes we have the option of Joelinton & Isaak for the left but I personally I don’t really want to see Isaak there much again, just rare occasions; let him drift naturally from ST position and I don’t see Joelinton as still quite sharp enough in the final third for that position and more useful deeper instead (as long as there’s no repeat of the leeds penalty clumsiness!).

Edited by timnufc22

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Prefer to watch ASM ??‍♂️ Nothing I’ve seen from Barnes would make me want to pay and see him. Maybe that’s the appeal and his numbers are greater than his fee ??‍♂️ 

ASM only managed to start 12 league games last year though, and the games he does manage to play in he’s all bandaged up like a Pharaoh. It’s difficult to really consider him a first team player.

Barnes or Joelinton on the left is probably the real choice to be made.

Don't understand the thinking that it's either Barnes or Maxi, like we aren't aiming to compete in four competitions and Maxi doesn't spend half of every season meandering between injured and half fit.

Not every signing is going to be pure purple and if this comes off for £30m I'm looking forward to seeing what Barnes can add for us in the final third. 

21 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Gordon is primarily a RW imo, granted he played left a lot last season, but I see it as Barnes/ASM LW & Gordon/Almiron RW.

Yes we have the option of Joelinton & Isaak for the left but I personally I don’t really want to see Isaak there much again, just rare occasions; let him drift naturally from ST position and I don’t see Joelinton as still quite sharp enough in the final third for that position and more useful deeper instead (as long as there’s no repeat of the leeds penalty clumsiness!).

I was wondering about this —and I think that a couple had the same concern earlier. Feel we need help on the right, more than the left. Looks like Barnes is exclusively on the left. I’d think that JoeLinton would have to be one of the first names on the teamsheet on left or in midfield.

Left 

——

JoeLinton

Barnes

ASM

Gordon 

Murphy

Isak

Right

——

Miggy

Murphy

Gordon

saw that Gordon played 6 games for us as a left forward, and 5 on the right

Edited by gazza ladra

Don't know why people are so repelled by this.

Re: sideways moves, sometimes they help you get where you want to go faster i.e. changing lanes on a motorway.

Be a good signing, and a upgrade on some current options we have.

In the last 4 seasons Barnes has played in 127 games, Maxi 111 and Miggy 134 so actually not a huge difference, but Barnes has 34 goals and 23 assists in that time.

Maxi 12+18

Miggy 20+5

£35m seems a decent price for that output, especially considering the ludicrous valuation some place on Maxi.

For £35m it’s hard to complain about this. If we were signing a player for that amount who had double digit G+A three years running in a top foreign league people would have their pants down. It makes even more sense if we sell Maxi because of the FFP boost that would give us.

I think the thing I like least about it is it probably means Joelinton more frequently at LCM and that means Joe Willock more frequently … on the bench? I want more Willock.

Edited by timeEd32

1 hour ago, timnufc22 said:

Joelinton played all his best football LW last season. 

I know he’s highly rated but can’t say I’ve paid that much attention to him.. I remember us being interested last summer. I think Eddie Howe has probably made a decision to upgrade on Maxi quite some time ago.. whether he stays on or not is very much up in the air.

Just watched his YouTube compilation.. the lad can finish!

Now that on its own creates a whole host of options.. with Maxi he’s going to miss 80% of the time (I’m sure someone has his shots to goals conversion %?) .. he’s just got that wild card element.

Barnes is a genuine goal threat which means he’ll be taking attention off Wilson or Isak.. and he’s far more likely to play a key pass than Maxi.

Its a sensible transfer if it happens.

The criticism of signing Barnes - if he does - is bizarre for me.  The lad is a good player, and potentially better than what we have.

If ASM stays, great.  If he’s sold, then that’s the choice of the manager and DoF - both of whom have my full trust.  I’ve never been particularly clingy to individual players - it is all down to what’s best for the club. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Its a sensible transfer if it happens.

Yes, my impression is it would be this year's Nick Pope. Not flashy, and yes, coming from a relegated club, but a no-risk effective player for a low price and low wages.

An upgrade on Murphy (who I do like) for certain.

Isak should be playing a lot next year, so that should satisfy anyone's need for flair.

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I dont follow it closely, but isnt our concern more wages to income, rather than FFP spending? We have plenty of FFP wiggle room, but we're currently at like 94% wages to income? I suppose its a bit mute, but a signing position we're relatively well stocked in, increases our wage bill at the expense of another position?

15 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I dont follow it closely, but isnt our concern more wages to income, rather than FFP spending? We have plenty of FFP wiggle room, but we're currently at like 94% wages to income? I suppose its a bit mute, but a signing position we're relatively well stocked in, increases our wage bill at the expense of another position?

It’s both from my understanding. Amortised transfer fees still cost and given the investment which has come on every window we still be feeling it now.