Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No way Emery is better than Howe. Wash your mouths out. 

Not saying that he's better, but he's elevating that squad to the level they are now which means they can compete with us. We are still a level above but we may have a bumpy start to the season due to the fixtures.

Just now, Skeletor said:

Not saying that he's better, but he's elevating that squad to the level they are now which means they can compete with us. We are still a level above but we may have a bumpy start to the season due to the fixtures.

Arguably Villa are better stocked overall than we are. We have individually better players in Botman, Bruno and Isak but I think they have a deeper quality squad. 

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Aye, that's what I mean rather than him being better. They have good players, a few very good players. One of their best players though is someone who 5 months ago people didn't want to know when we had the chance to sign for free for instance. Emery is worth a few league places. 

2 minutes ago, Dyeyzzon said:

I'd like Anderson and Gordon to start, they deserve it and have the potential to kick on to be in our strongest XI.

Yep, after seeing the pre-season unfold they deffo look like the hottest options we have at the moment to fill the Maxi and Longstaff holes, unless of course longstaff recovers form/fitness in time...

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I always assumed most managers give their strongest team (or atleast the one most likely to start together) a runout near the end of pre season. We don’t seem to have done that. 

Apparently Howe likes the start groups of positions together that are likely to start.

For e.g Playing the first choice defence together in one game, and the first choice midfielder together in the other

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I always assumed most managers give their strongest team (or atleast the one most likely to start together) a runout near the end of pre season. We don’t seem to have done that. 

Didn't do it last season either.

Working theory is yesterday's attack, today's midfield and a mix of defence.

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

Apparently Howe likes the start groups of positions together that are likely to start.

For e.g Playing the first choice defence together in one game, and the first choice midfielder together in the other

Aha ok interesting. 

Yesterdays line up arguably we started the leading attack. 

Everything else seemed a mix. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Aha ok interesting. 

Yesterdays line up arguably we started the leading attack. 

Everything else seemed a mix. 

Guessing the midfield today will be:

Longstaff - Bruno - Joelinton

Given Howe likes to ease in new players into the team, especially if they are coming into the league for the first team, I'd expect the above to start next week and Tonali to be on the bench.

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Guessing the midfield today will be:

Longstaff - Bruno - Joelinton

Given Howe likes to ease in new players into the team, especially if they are coming into the league for the first team, I'd expect the above to start next week and Tonali to be on the bench.

Probably depending on how Longstaff does today as he’s missed a bit of pre season with injury.

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

They've got a better squad but we've got a better manager. Home advantage should tip things our way, but it'll be close.

We've risen to the occasion so many times over the last year and a half. It's still scary but I've given up betting against us.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm definitely seeing something different to Villa clearly. I was thinking we have the better squad but Emery is the leveller. :lol:

We're all Eddie fans on here, but even now I think there's a slight tendency to underestimate the scale of what he's achieved in the short time he's been here. Given where he started from and the players at his disposal, it's just incredible.

Emery is a top class manager, and as a clever tactician there's probably nothing to chose between him and Eddie. But our guy has a way of getting something extra out of each individual and out of the team as a whole that marks him out as exceptional. I don't think it's something that can be taught.

Watching that clip of him preparing the players for the Man U game was quite moving. If I had been one of those players, I would have gone out there not just with the mentality of a plucky underdog, but actually believing that I as an individual, and my team mates as a whole, were better than the opposition. All I needed to do was show it. And considering who we were up against, that's quite something.

Both Howe and Emery are great managers. There's so many variables to me it's impossible to say who is the better. It's not without reason Emery was our first choice as he at the time at least was on paper the safer choice.

In hindsight I am glad we ended up with Howe rather than Emery, but that's purely down to his personality and him sticking it to the useless football media who wrote him off after one poor season with Bournemouth.

Emery makes Villa a much more likeable club. I hope they do well under him...as long as its not at the expense of our success :lol:

21 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

People forgetting Emery was sacked from Arsenal for being distinctly average?

Depends what you class as average tbh. He did a good job in a difficult situation replacing Wenger.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Depends what you class as average tbh. He did a good job in a difficult situation replacing Wenger.

Finishing 5th with Arsenal is average and never going to be deemed 'good' under any circumstances.