Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 19/08/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

6 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

League Cup was it not 2-1? Maybe it wasn’t I’ll check. 

You’re right it was 2-0 to us (October 2014). Could have sworn it was 2-1 and also was sure Kevin Mbabu was playing up against Sterling that game. But looking at date, I’ve obviously conflated different games, as Mbabu dominating Sterling must have been later. 

9 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I’d love to know what Pep was tearing into Haarland about at half time when he pushed the camera away

Apparently Haarland had had a go at Silva about not passing to him. It would have been a dangerous pass as Silva was the furthest advanced midfielder or something 

Problem with playing these is no matter how good you are they’ll score at the very least 2 and keep the ball for 70-80% of the game. We’ve got a chance but a point would be a great result 

I despise this fixture; for my entire life it's been nothing but total misery. We're on a run of 14 consecutive losses in the league here and haven't scored for 5 years (turns out Yedlin got our last goal in this fixture), seem to always concede an early goal (last 5 games we've conceded first on the 16th, 19th, 14th, 10th and 8th minutes) and never seem to get the rub of the green. However...

I feel this is the best chance we've had in years of getting a positive result, which is a point in my eyes, against a Guardiola managed Man City. Last season we deserved something from the game, should've scored at least twice and the game was played immediately after the League Cup final when Wilson was having that period of playing like he had lead in his boots. De Bruyne out for them, them over in Greece playing the Wednesday before, our lads full of confidence after battering a side who some backed in pre season to finish above us, Tonali superb on his debut, Isak firing on all cylinders. Aye, still would rip your arm off for a point as Newcastle United just don't ever do well at Man City away even when we're good and they're shit. 1 win in 23 visits, man. But I feel we have a hell of a chance this time.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

All these long winless runs come to an end at some point. I know it covers many teams,  but remember our 3-4 year run from 1997 of 30 odd games in London without a win? I nearly lost my shite (in a good way) when Robert scored in the 90th min at Highbury, it was a great game to be at.

Anyway, back to this one - possibly the best time to play them for the reasons mentioned already. Key thing is we go there without fear and play for the win, which is exactly what Howe will be drumming into the players all week.  There is certainly no harder place to go at the moment but we have to keep our philosophy going, win or lose.

Shades of 2001 win at Arsenal in 2001this one for me.  I reckon 3-2 to us.

Just now, Dan Gleebals said:

All these long winless runs come to an end at some point. I know it covers many teams,  but remember our 3-4 year run from 1997 of 30 odd games in London without a win? I nearly lost my shite (in a good way) when Robert scored in the 90th min at Highbury, it was a great game to be at.

Anyway, back to this one - possibly the best time to play them for the reasons mentioned already. Key thing is we go there without fear and play for the win, which is exactly what Howe will be drumming into the players all week.  There is certainly no harder place to go at the moment but we have to keep our philosophy going, win or lose.

Shades of 2001 win at Arsenal in this one for me.  I reckon 3-2 to us.

17 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I’d love to know what Pep was tearing into Haarland about at half time when he pushed the camera away

Theatrical bullshit for the "Perfectionist Pep" brand.

18 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Spurs/Man U then this game is a cracking Saturday night of football. 

Yes, the contrast between the two worst and the two best teams in the league is going to be interesting to see.

Edited by Displayname

6 minutes ago, Big River said:

I think we might win yana :lol:

If we have ≥10 points come the first international break we'll be getting talked up as title contenders. :lol: Our run of fixtures interspersed by the CL up to November after the first break are great. 

Can't see us genuinely challenging for the league though. Can't believe I've just typed that sentence seriously, but you need 85-95 points to stand a serious chance and I can't see us getting that many. I can see us improving on last season's total of 71 though.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

I'll be honest, I'm 100% with you @HaydnNUFC and also @Dan Gleebals post is also where my head is at too. 

This is the BEST time to play them, early on in the season and they have injuries. I want to think Tonali is our X-factor we've never had against these lot. He's got the physicality to duel with Rodri and track their midfield runners better than Longstaff. He's probably just simply better at the dirty work against highly technical and tactically fluid teams over anyone we have in midfield too. He's decisive in the pass and seems calm in possession too. I'm obviously basing this all on not a whole lot of PL film on Tonali but I do have a feeling we will be a great match for these. 

Edited by Kanji