Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 19/08/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

One thing I've noticed is we always seem to concede early in this fixture.

2-0 - 15 minutes 

3-3 - 5 minutes 

5-0 - 19 minutes 

4-0 - 5 minutes 

I know it's easier said than done against this lot, but it'd be grand if we could keep it tight for the first half hour, even if delays the inevitable, it at least makes a game of it.

Call me crazy, but the current circumstances weigh heavily in our favour. Really feel we could take 3 points here, best chance for a long time. Their midfield will struggle big time with ours.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

Call me crazy, but the current circumstances weigh heavily in our favour. Really feel we could take 3 points here, best chance for a long time. Their midfield will struggle big time with ours.

Wey list the circumstances that are in our favour so I can share some of that optimism with you!

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Wey list the circumstances that are in our favour so I can share some of that optimism with you!

Their injury list and us filling Villa in 5-1, not to mention the performances of some our key players in that game. Weighed in our favour? Maybe a bit strong. But this is the best chance in a long time to get a result here I feel.

We have been a good side, by anyone’s reckoning since January 2022. You need two or three game changers on their game in each match to be a great side. A side that genuinely has a chance to beat anyone home or away. You know, with the newbies starting as they have, the relatively recents settled in, and some of the longer serving transformed, I think we might just have them now. 

It is just good to be going into this game even thinking we can get something out of it, we may not, but I'm not looking at it and thinking "no chance" as I have for god knows how many previous seasons.

5 hours ago, 54 said:

Referee: Robert Jones

Assistants: Ian Hussin, Adrian Holmes. 

Fourth official: Darren Bond. 

VAR: Jarred Gillett. 

Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart.

How sad that football has got to the stage where this is arguably the most important line up in each PL game now [emoji38]

Is crazy to be away to Man City and actually feel excited for the game. 

We may still lose but as people have said just the fact we have any belief we can now go there and give them a proper game is light years from where we were a few years ago where we would just be dreading the idea of getting pumped 5:0. 

Edited by alexf

I still fully expect to get beat on Saturday, but I’d suggest we'll know if we have improved if we can actually lay a glove on them. For all I didn’t think we played too badly at their place last year, we never really looked like hurting them. I have a strong hope that this time might be different.

35 minutes ago, TRon said:

One thing you do know about Pep is that he'll give us the respect we deserve. None of the pathetic whining and bitching that you hear from the likes of Klopp or Ten Hag.

I think Pep has some sort of soft spot for us. Hes been dealing with the Liverpool and Manu darlings for years.

I mean, even without KdB, they're still the best team on the planet. They've just won the treble and I think they'd beat the Argentina WC final team tbh, they're not unbeatable but doing it at the Etihad would be a huge huge ask. We've got nothing to lose as most fans expect City to win anyway. 

I'd snap your arm off at the shoulder for a point

1 hour ago, Sean said:

How sad that football has got to the stage where this is arguably the most important line up in each PL game now [emoji38]

Well, I've seen videos from older games recently, and I can tell you that some of those mistakes were extremely obvious and also game deciding. Obvious mistakes happened nearly every game back then.

Edited by Erikse

39 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I think Pep has some sort of soft spot for us. Hes been dealing with the Liverpool and Manu darlings for years.

He's just above all that petty stuff IMO. He knows how good he is, and doesn't feel threatened by others. He's obviously got enough belief in himself that he can recognise a club well run, and a manager who deserves respect. The likes of Klopp are frightened at the prospect of competiton because they don't have that level of self assurance.

45 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Did he not say in an interview a while back that he asked SBR to bring him to Newcastle when Bobby took over, but said he already had Gary Speed. Could just be because we are SBR's team in the same way Jose has always spoken well of the support, if not the team.