Lewis Hall

Paully

1 hour ago, Smal said:

Most touches on the pitch in the first half btw 

Screenshot2024-04-02at20_31_27.thumb.png.b3962c812d69c5a5be478985e93b1e4d.png

He was a major part of our play out from the back. Was nice to see us look so easy in possession there for a change.

Satisfying performance, for me. Quite a few negatives that I could see Eddie being rightly bothered with - he wasn't exactly resolute defensively - but plenty of positives too and in the circumstances I think he deserves the chance to play himself into a more important, responsible role. Him being there helped other players, including Burn, play better.

Edited by 80

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

We've got a player here but I can see why Howe's been a bit cautious with him. Seems to play at 100 mph and a bit hurried on the ball but he's going to be a star once he calms down a bit. :lol:

I actually thought it was him trying to play safety first which was putting him in two minds. Looked like he was itching to charge up the pitch a few times, then checked back and pinged the ball sideways very reluctantly.

Think he'd really shine with a run in the team. Hopefully a Gordon-arc for him, bits and pieces in his first season, then he's absolutely flying in his second when he's onboard with our style of play 

Mixed bag tonight imo. All well and good at the weekend when the only instruction is to go forward. Think we saw tonight why he’s been held back.

He’ll be a player though, no doubt, but it isn’t as crazy as if maybe looked on Saturday that he hasn’t played as much.

He stays on - we win.  He did ok imo - looked knackered in second half though.  Just needs minutes to get match fit.

I thought given the aerial bombardment from Everton he played very well. I hope he will be ok to go again on Saturday. The defense looks better with Burn at CB and Hall at LB. Now if we could just get Trips back 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Should we organise a sweep for how long he's out for ?

I have a feeling it’s minor. Slight strain or maybe cramping. Hard to come in and play 75 mins when you’ve barely played that much in the last 3 months combined. 

1 hour ago, duo said:

He stays on - we win.  He did ok imo - looked knackered in second half though.  Just needs minutes to get match fit.

not sure about that like, he had a patchy second half imo

Just now, Holloway said:

not sure about that like, he had a patchy second half imo

On account of Dummett not being on to make that stupid mistake then aye. He's probably right :lol:

45 minutes ago, madras said:

Should we organise a sweep for how long he's out for ?

Not out thankfully according to EH. That may translate into amputation, we will have to wait and see.

Once he has a full pre-season under EH, I can see him having a redemption arc hopefully similar to Gordon this season. There were a few times he could have overlapped Harvey but didn't look fit enough. It's strange how most of our creative and threat has come from the left this season as opposed to last season. We missed Trippier massively yesterday also. 

Same as his cameo on Saturday, his first instinct is always to move forward with the ball. Just through his first touch and body shape. I like that in a player. 

There was also a nice moment first half when he was getting closed down with no passing option and he instinctively dribbled past Young with ease. 

Whereas he actually looked more uncomfortable when he has to play the safety sideways passes. Think he will link better with Gordon aswell as Barnes is more of a run in behind player, than coming short to receive the ball. 

Few moments higher up the pitch aswell where he has the confidence to hold on to the ball and get a a cross in. 

Feel he should definitely be given the opportunity to start the majority of the remaining games. With Burn now needed at CB, and looking alot more comfortable playing there and with Tino and Targett injured we don't have much choice regardless. 

7 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

Its obvious when you watch him play why Eddie has held him back this season.

Hmm why? I didn't watch this one. I just noticed that Hall recieved 3 bonus points on FPL, and thought he must've done some good things here, but I know it's not allways accurate.

He played very well and is probably second to Bruno in that squad for passing ability, with Willock not back to full fitness. Schar is a very good aerial passer as well.

From a defensive point of view I think it’s unclear where he is currently. He was very good in the air defensively, way better than I expected. Positionally he got caught out a couple of times and went in for a challenge when he could have maybe stood his ground. It’s to be expected though given his lack of match experience 

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He played very well and is probably second to Bruno in that squad for passing ability, with Willock not back to full fitness. Schar is a very good aerial passer as well.

From a defensive point of view I think it’s unclear where he is currently. He was very good in the air defensively, way better than I expected. Positionally he got caught out a couple of times and went in for a challenge when he could have maybe stood his ground. It’s to be expected though given his lack of match experience 

Aye, it was noticeable against Dortmund that he gets touch tight and doesn't have the acceleration to make up the ground once he's turned.

It's nothing that can't be coached though and he clearly has a lot of talent.

24 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Hmm why? I didn't watch this one. I just noticed that Hall recieved 3 bonus points on FPL, and thought he must've done some good things here, but I know it's not allways accurate.

I wouldn't say it's obvious why he's been held back as much as he has, given the injury plague we've had etc. But he was a bit rash at times e.g. slicing a clearance. Once or twice Everton players got through him like he wasn't there, or he lost track of potential runners. You could just tell he wasn't 'solid'. Given the expectations on him from fans when we first signed him, in a world where he started our first 15 matches, I could see people talking about him being a weak link in the team, not being ready and putting a lot of unwelcome pressure on him.

But there were a load of positives to his game as well, both defensively and offensively. He was always looking to show up when needed at both ends. Was particularly brave with the ball, literally putting his foot on it at times and weighing up situations, and taking on their players 

8 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

Its obvious when you watch him play why Eddie has held him back this season.

It is?? When you look at who the alternatives were and if they would have been a better/worse choice than Hall?

20 hours ago, Kanji said:

He was great again. Really like him. 

I was stoked when we signed him and I haven’t changed that view really. It’s a bit unfortunate he hasn’t been used more but just have to trust the process I guess. 

51 minutes ago, 80 said:

I wouldn't say it's obvious why he's been held back as much as he has, given the injury plague we've had etc. But he was a bit rash at times e.g. slicing a clearance. Once or twice Everton players got through him like he wasn't there, or he lost track of potential runners. You could just tell he wasn't 'solid'. Given the expectations on him from fans when we first signed him, in a world where he started our first 15 matches, I could see people talking about him being a weak link in the team, not being ready and putting a lot of unwelcome pressure on him.

But there were a load of positives to his game as well, both defensively and offensively. He was always looking to show up when needed at both ends. Was particularly brave with the ball, literally putting his foot on it at times and weighing up situations, and taking on their players 

I think you’re bang on, it was a very good performance and you can see he’s got a lot of ability but still showed some rawness and lack of experience at times which is completely understandable. I think we’ll probably look back and think EH has managed him perfectly - like we have on many occasions with Howe.