Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Let's look at it this way. We've lost 1-0 away to Man City and our gripe is that we didn't turn up.

Aye. And next week we’ve got a chance to get a result that will make us all forget about tonight.

We’re playing for 2nd, not 1st, basically. :lol:

Just now, Rich said:

Aye. And next week we’ve got a chance to get a result that will make us all forget about tonight.

Just wish the match was sooner basically. Howe won't be happy with that and I'm expecting him to come all guns blazing 

1 minute ago, mikejaxer said:

A City team that played mid week with an injured De Bruyne and other first teamers.

That almost 100% of the time wins in those exact circumstances.

Don't get me wrong like, I know what you're getting at, they didn't look that impressive and we Underperformed, I'm just trying to remind myself of how far we've come in such a short space of time 

We were playing a very very good team, maybe one of the best there has ever been in club football. But I feel we showed them far too much respect in the first half and stepped off. 

We caused them problems when we tried to play our own game later. No grumbles with the result - they deserved to win. I just feel we could have given them more of a scare and would have done with the handbrake off.

Still, there's the return leg.

They really are.  Every team trying Tika taka is over thankfully, but yeah they're so boring. And I have said that for years. I say that as someone who thinks Barca 08-15 is the best and most exciting team to watch as well FWIW.

One negative for me, and it's only a slight one tbh, is that we've already got Tonali and Bruno on 2 yellows after 2 games, Joelinton is on 1. That will cat h up with us later on in the Autumn as they reach 5 and maybe 10 before Xmas. Yeah we got a chasing tonight but some of the cards so far have been either soft/thick  

A 4 goal margin win against a team in claret and blue at SJP live on Sky on the opening day to losing 1-0 away at Man City the following week in the first away game.

3rd and CL progression it is. Hope we don't get battered by Inter Milan at SJP 1-4 again. Or lose 2-6 at home to the fanboys of dangerous wronguns.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They really are.  Every team trying Tika taka is over thankfully, but yeah they're so boring. And I have said that for years. I say that as someone who thinks Barca 08-15 is the best and most exciting team to watch as well FWIW.

Even the city fans seem to have no passion for the football they play. It's not entertaining to watch. They seemed to play a little more expansive last season but have completely reverted to type. I can't wait for the city era to be over. 

19 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

A City team that played mid week with an injured De Bruyne and other first teamers.

See the XI they put out ? And for all Pep's whining about playing games close together he doesn't seem to use subs to refresh. Not like he doesn't have the squad.

51 minutes ago, Bossman said:

It's they way he's absolutely takes himself so seriously when he's speaking as well.  Like he's always saying something profound.

Thick as mince.

Aye, should be saying ‘Fank you, and good night’.

If you watch boxing you’ll get the reference but I liken the way City play to how Usyk fights.. his footwork is so good he can literally just wear out opponents by keeping them moving about and trying to guess where the attack will come from.

His opponents over commit to attacks and again, the footwork is so good he’s rarely there when they do attack so they just waste more energy.

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

If you watch boxing you’ll get the reference but I liken the way City play to how Usyk fights.. his footwork is so good he can literally just wear out opponents by keeping them moving about and trying to guess where the attack will come from.

His opponents over commit to attacks and again, the footwork is so good he’s rarely there when they do attack so they just waste more energy.

All I know is if every team in the premier League played like city no fucker would watch it. To use your boxing analogy most people want to see a knock out.

33 minutes ago, andycap said:

It seemed slightly late challenges were given as yellows for us. Seemed wierd the tonali yellow was a slight nudge even Gordon's yellow he catches him but didn't need dias rolling about like he'd been chivved 

Thing that annoyed me with the Tonali one was that Alvarez then went and done the same thing 30 seconds later and wasn’t booked. There’s just no consistency. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Great analogy .. I made a similar one to a pal, only used Mayweather. 

33 minutes ago, Rich said:

Good to get this the fuck out the way too. Good learning for Howe. Which is exactly what this club needs this early - Howe identifying and obsessing over fixing frailties to a team like City.