Newcastle United vs. Liverpool: 27/08/23 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

First time I've seen it, absolutely pathetic decision. Laughable that the ref gave it in the first place, laughable that VAR didn't prescribe a second look.

It's very frustrating because I don't believe the ref confidently brandishes a red card there without the assumption that he's got VARs double-checking his decisions. The problem is, the 'clear an obvious' directive prevents re-refereeing; his decision isn't 'wrong enough' and suddenly everyone's stuck with the initial incorrect call. The whole system is utterly flawed. 

Hope the appeal results in an extended suspension for the lad. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

First time I've seen it, absolutely pathetic decision. Laughable that the ref gave it in the first place, laughable that VAR didn't prescribe a second look.

It's very frustrating because I don't believe the ref confidently brandishes a red card there without the assumption that he's got VARs double-checking his decisions. The problem is, the 'clear an obvious' directive prevents re-refereeing; his decision isn't 'wrong enough' and suddenly everyone's stuck with the initial incorrect call. The whole system is utterly flawed. 

Hope the appeal results in an extended suspension for the lad. 

It's Liverpool. The outcome will be "Overturned with sincere apologies, masters *kisses feet*"

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I thought it was a very understandable red personally. 

It's unbelievably unlucky from MacAllister's point of view imo. Both players are going into that incident at a fast pace with exactly the same action and exactly the same intention; only he's a micro-second later. Ultimately he is late and so a caution is reasonable (you can tell by the look on his face that he knows it's an offence) but a red is ridiculously harsh. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Of course they will appeal, they know fine well they'll get a sympathetic hearing from the officials who'll be sat round a desk wearing Klopp is King of the Kop t-shirts.

I’m surprised they haven’t appealed their failure to make the Champion’s League. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

It's unbelievably unlucky from MacAllister's point of view imo. Both players are going into that incident at a fast pace with exactly the same action and exactly the same intention; only he's a micro-second later. Ultimately he is late and so a caution is reasonable (you can tell by the look on his face that he knows it's an offence) but a red is ridiculously harsh. 

I just feel like by raising his leg and studs he protects himself and endangers his opponent. 

Red might be harsh, I don’t know. 

Liverpool pundits have no right to demand rule changes for "right and wrong". They got one of the biggest refereeing/"rules of the game" gifts in the history of big matches, a penalty in the first minute of the CL final against Spurs. The ball hits Sissoko's knee from about one yard away, nowhere near the goal, bounces up to his hand, and the ref points to the spot because of "unnatural position" or other small print bollocks. No-one talked about "right and wrong" on that day. With 2023 rules, I doubt it would be given.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a red card in this game. Always something that seems to fuck up against these knobs. Schar or maybe Gordon getting sent off would be my guess. Might put a couple of quid on it.