Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

I'm struggling to understand what adding Tonali to the midfield offers? 

Don't get this wrong, I'm in no way questioning Tonali's ability or him as a player, but as the next piece to our puzzle, it's not looking like the piece that fits, one of those three needs to be the keys to the door, yet all three sit off and do the same role.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

That "clearance" man. Simple 15 yard pass to Trippier and he does that.

Thought it was interesting that the first goal kick we got we didn't even consider playing it short and just launched it upfield

We usually pass it out from the back so wonder if Botman missing has really altered Pope's thoughts

Just now, Stifler said:

They have been better than us, but I honestly don’t think they have caused us any problems, we have caused our own.

I think our heads dropped after we didn’t score with those first 2/3 chances.

We've no control of the midfield - we should be bossing it with the players we've got.  

Our midfield three just doesn't work.  We really miss Willock or someone of that ilk who has a bit dynamism.  Three plodders in midfield basically and Tonali is miles better than the other two.

Just now, The Prophet said:

If we're going to play without a genuine DM, Howe needs to suss a way of covering the gap between the midfield and defence.

Ding ding ding! This is it. It was obvious even in the first game against Villa. Acres of space for our opposition. 

Just now, mighty__mag said:

I'm struggling to understand what adding Tonali to the midfield offers? 

Don't get this wrong, I'm in no way questioning Tonali's ability or him as a player, but as the next piece to our puzzle, it's not looking like the piece that fits, one of those three needs to be the keys to the door, yet all three sit off and do the same role.

totally agree. Feels very similar to Bruno to me. 

Team feels disconnected. Burn looks shite at CB, Joao Pedro all over Schär, Trippier and Targett having to handle to good wingers. Think Bruno (seems like theres no movement around when hes on the ball) and Tonali have tried to make stuff happen, but Isak can’t put a finish away and our wingers are staying out wide offering absolutely nothing. Big Joe trying the box to box role and could’ve had a goal but otherwise looking like a ghost out there. 

I’d take the wingers off and try Barnes on the right and Isak left. Don’t feel we can remove a midfielder right now, but taking Big Joe off would certainly be an option as well.

9 minutes ago, duo said:

Would you swap any of their players with ours?  We have the better team - just tactically we are not at the races.  

March > Almiron

Estupiñan >>>>> Targett

Mitoma > Gordon (not hating on Gordon, Mitoma currently just a little bit better imo)

Dunk > Burn (sorry Burn)

Edited by Erikse

It's the lack of intensity for me, just seem 2nd to everything. This is how I'd expect us to play after a CL away game and the players are shattered, not the 4th game of the season. Brighton have been very tidy too tbf

Rethink at half time and we can still get a win here 

Just now, Flip said:

Team feels disconnected. Burn looks shite at CB, Joao Pedro all over Schär, Trippier and Targett having to handle to good wingers. Think Bruno (seems like theres no movement around when hes on the ball) and Tonali have tried to make stuff happen, but Isak can’t put a finish away and our wingers are staying out wide offering absolutely nothing. Big Joe trying the box to box role and could’ve had a goal but otherwise looking like a ghost out there. 

I’d take the wingers off and try Barnes on the right and Isak left. Don’t feel we can remove a midfielder right now, but taking Big Joe off would certainly be an option as well.

Burns pace will always be trouble in the PL - even more so as a CB.

Just now, Flip said:

Get Isak wide left, agree. Wilson on. Anyone else on the right and Anderson on for Joe. Tell Tonali to sit.