Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

Would say a draw is a fair result so far, they where the better in the first 25 minutes, and while Pope didn't really have a save to make, they where getting into good positions, and breaking well. We for whatever reason looked nervous, like we where scared to make a mistake, but grew into the game, and started to pile the pressure on in the last 20 minutes of that half, and could have gone ahead, if the game hadn't continually got broken up I think we'd have gone in ahead.

Gordon has continued his good form despite being on the other side, Anderson hasn't looked out of place at all, and played some decent balls, and Barnes is getting into good positions. Need to be careful of them on the break, but i've seen enough to think we could win here.

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

I've had enough of watching Burn at left back now, get Hall on.

he is fucking useless on the overlaps and his recovery runs back do not exist considering his speed is that of a pensioner with their roller.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I don't feel he's out of his depth - it seems everything he has done has been to make it harder for us to win today. He's loving his role here so far.

Thought he gave many soft fouls against Brentford too.

Just now, Aiston said:

Did nothing really other than one run he finished with passing to a defender mind.

Yeah fair.

Everything just feels a bit stiff. Maybe too much emphasis on keeping possession. Try some riskier passes in the final third.

Extremely average and not an ounce of anything creative

Love Trippier, but his set pieces are starting to wind me up

I wonder whether the Champions League is acting as a distraction, similar to when the cup final was coming closer last year

That wasn't too bad; very obviously a new forward line supported by a midfield lacking drive and creativity. The teams look pretty well-matched.

Safe to say my expectations have plummeted a fair bit in terms of this season. We don't have the surprise factor to blow teams like Brentford away.

Wilson and Schar have been very good. Barnes growing into it. 

If we’re going to have this much possession then I’d like to see Hall come on for Burn soon. Tonali for Longstaff at some point.

If we’re not going to press high then we don’t need the latter really.

Kind of fixture I'm expecting plenty of this year.

We've got such little quality on the ball in our front line, lots of industry and effort but nobody who looks like they're going to do anything with a bit of quality to unlock a defense.

Then we also have a big lumbering trying to provide a bit of width down one flank and you have a team that isn't really hard to set up to defend against.

We really needed to add a creative midfield player in the summer or else sign a DM and push Bruno further forward. We did neither and I'm not entirely sure how we're gonna rectify it this season without significantly changing the shape of the team... something I don't think Howe wants to do 

Hopefully we can nick a goal out of somewhere second half.