Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

So the handball one... I can sort of agree it's not a penalty because the guy wasn't looking at the ball.

However would it be a free kick if it happened on the center circle? Probably yes.

The same with the challenge on Gordon if it was a fullback doing that to a winger on the touch line.

So is there a rule where we look at free kicks in the box for accidental handballs?

Watched the game back this morning after knowing the result (turned off all notifications bar YouTube :pilko:). Objectively, we were better than some have given us credit for.

First half was a slog, but Brentford do that to most teams in the top half. I’m impressed how they’ve adjusted without Toney. Wissa and Mbuema are pretty good together, quite threatening when given an opportunity.

Thought we edged them first half and we were unlucky not to be up by a goal at the half. Would have loved Bruno’s header to have gone in for the lads confidence. Regardless, thought he had a good game, threaded some lovely passes, was decent in retaining the ball.

Gordon was awesome, imposing most of the first half and helped see out the win second half. Barnes was quality too, we’re blessed with options on the wing. Think Isak would have got on the end of those crosses that came in from the flanks.

Anyways, effective and gutsy win against a tricky team in Brentford. 

So excited for our return to the big stage this week, glad we’re going to Milan on a positive note. 

HWTL!

14 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

So the handball one... I can sort of agree it's not a penalty because the guy wasn't looking at the ball.

However would it be a free kick if it happened on the center circle? Probably yes.

The same with the challenge on Gordon if it was a fullback doing that to a winger on the touch line.

So is there a rule where we look at free kicks in the box for accidental handballs?

Been writing this several times in the other thread. Its not a penalty because the ball hits Mbuemo head first and then the arm. If the ball hits other body parts before it goes to the arm/hand its not a penalty.

11 hours ago, M1tche said:

No-one was going to be a real standout yesterday. 3 loses on the bounce, nervy feeling around the place, it was a just win the game type of scenario. We did that, it was a hard watch but will do wonders for the next few games

I felt a bit like this, I did find it quite poor, mainly from the lack of goal threat, Wilson looked so isolated at times, similarly Isak did vs Brighton, I think attack wise it something we might need to address, we went through a spell like this last season, but Howe found a solution. 

Edited by mighty__mag

14 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I was opposed to VAR being used for anything other than issues of fact (eg offside, ball across the line). Handballs, with the idea of intention, are matters of opinion, as with many other fouls. 

Having said all that, now we're on this journey, let's see if we can refine things with experience. VAR was never going to eliminate controversy, but it can improve decisions in general, and eliminate those that are clearly wrong. That's all we can expect.

It would help if managers like Frank didn't react with outrage when a reasonable decision happens to go against them.

12 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I was opposed to VAR being used for anything other than issues of fact (eg offside, ball across the line). Handballs, with the idea of intention, are matters of opinion, as with many other fouls. 

Having said all that, now we're on this journey, let's see if we can refine things with experience. VAR was never going to eliminate controversy, but it can improve decisions in general, and eliminate those that are clearly wrong. That's all we can expect.

It would help if managers like Frank didn't react with outrage when a reasonable decision happens to go against them.

For what it’s worth I still don’t think it was a penalty but I’m u sure about managers moaning about it, I noticed he cherry picked this and ignored the disallowed goal.

28 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Why did Brentford bring about 500 fans?

Game got changed from the Saturday from the Sunday with about 2 weeks notice to be fair to them. Think they would have took the smaller allocation either way like

Novelty worn off for them after a couple of seasons in the prem. Not got that big of a support. Speaking to a load of qpr fans the other week and they claim alot of the new brentford fans all used to support other London clubs til they became successful as well..

Just now, jackyboy said:

If we had lost the game with those decisions reversed and Eddie had made the same comments as Frank we would have agreed with every word

Indeed. But Howe is our manager, that's why we would agree with every word, Frank isn't so I'm afraid I don't agree with anything he said.

27 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Poor lad. Good player.

After he slipped he tried to get up and run after Trippier at full steam and I suppose his knee couldn’t take the load of standing up and accelerating like that, especially when I think he’s had a knee injury before. Changed the game when he went off. I think he deals with the ball before the Pen and just sees it out. 

3 hours ago, jackyboy said:

If we had lost the game with those decisions reversed and Eddie had made the same comments as Frank we would have agreed with every word

I haven't seen Franks comments, but if we don't get any of the three big decisions in our "favour" there would have been hell on.

Thought Brentford decision to put literally everybody except the keeper in the box for attacking corners was interesting.

Don't think I've ever seen that before at SJP

Edited by joeyt