AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

Probably coming into this all a bit late (currently 9hrs behind the UK time) but i honestly can't believe the negativity from our 'fans' after getting a point at the San Siro against a team who made the Champions League semi-finals a few months ago.

Between Radio Newcastle's phone in and facebook, i've read/heard more negatives than positives, including Bruno, Tonali and even Isak being shite. 

OK, i totally get we've not been firing on all cylinders, but we've lost to two teams who have both recently been the European champions, and a excellent Brighton side, and now the performance away to AC Milan is being questioned. Its going to be a long season this one, and we can't press absolutely everything when we are constantly playing a match every 3 or 4 days.

You could argue we shouldn't even be in the Champions League yet, surely its all a bonus, and a point away is be cheered.

18 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Worried about relegation, worried about the transfer window, worried about variations in form, worried about Bruno leaving, worried about signing Gordon, worried about the transfer window being a missed opportunity, worried about creativity, worried about the defence, worried about qualifying for the Champions League, worried about another transfer window, worried about the midfield, worried about Bruno staying, worried about playing in the Champions League.

It's like a parody at this point. Too many folk spend so much time worrying, they're missing an amazing time to support the club. The path to success isn't linear, it's best to enjoy it and roll with the punches

Nothing wrong with analysing performances, where we went wrong, where we can improve and the like, but Christ it's done in such a dramatic "the sky is falling in" fashion we've even had other clubs fans commenting on it. We've just come away from the San Siro with a point, after our first Champions League game for 20 years having been no where near our best, yet I feel like we've just walked into a funeral. 

The "b" word needs breaking out again.

True. And people need to be realistic with their expectations. We are not world class, or nowhere near yet. And we don't need to be.

47 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Meh. Football fans are always reactionary, ours in particular get carried away- good or bad. Part and parcel of having a passionate fanbase.

The passion doesn't seem to spurt over in a positive way anymore though

Passionate fanbases stand shout and sing

Ours sit and whinge and cry on the internet

Edited by jack j

That’s a bit negative. When we’re playing well and getting good results ST. James’ is usually rocking. Still one of the top 3 grounds in England for atmosphere when things are good.

Moaning about your team underperforming isn’t unique to Newcastle fans. Constant whingeing is a very British pastime, anyway :lol: .

38 minutes ago, jack j said:

I think this is more of an ‘internet’ thing. Most people you speak to in and about the city are perfectly realistic in expectations and very happy with how things are progressing. 

I read about all this negativity online but I’m not seeing it. 

Edited by NUFC_Chris

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Top tip, avoid the internet and the whinging disappears. 

alternatively, focus on looking for and seeing the positives, if your using the internet as your sphere of influence then your doomed. 

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

Meh. Football fans are always reactionary, ours in particular get carried away- good or bad. Part and parcel of having a passionate fanbase.

This, pretty much. Fans were moaning during the KK and Bobby eras as well.

Everyone is delighted at the point. Delighted by the commitment of the team for the entire 95 minutes. Last ditch tackles and blocks. That was all excellent.

But the general performance was bad. We conceded chances. Poor in possession. Poor in attack. If we lost 3-0 we could have no complaints. So that's what we're discussing.

I remember early in the 5th season under Pardew. We played badly and stole a few wins and draws. Back then we could admit, hey - we played badly but got the result. If we continue to play badly we will lose more games. But the positive results led to a great atmosphere which led to much better performances along with good results. That's what we are hoping for here.

14 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

Top tip, avoid the internet and the whinging disappears. 

alternatively, focus on looking for and seeing the positives, if your using the internet as your sphere of influence then your doomed. 

I take the internet whinging with a pinch of salt really.

But the moans and groans are often louder than the singing inside SJP

Cant claim that to be a passionate fanbase

It's a whinging fanbase

1 hour ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

I recall (long time ago) watching the juve friendly when Pearce and Hamman scored with my fatha. Howey made a minor error and these two knackas started booing him and claiming he was shite on account of him being a ‘fucken mackem man.’

brilliant b

I do not remember this scandal.

1 hour ago, NUFC_Chris said:

I think this is more of an ‘internet’ thing. Most people you speak to in and about the city are perfectly realistic in expectations and very happy with how things are progressing. 

I read about all this negativity online but I’m not seeing it. 

100% an internet thing.

Just now, OCOCOL said:

100% an internet thing.

Yes we have whingers at home but generally our support is positive when it's needed. And some of the general trends aren't unique to Newcastle but are symptoms of the gentrification of the game and modern sensibilities imho. Whilst there were some great memories made in the 80s a lot of the matchday experience is best left there.

Think what makes it frustrating is we've just went through 14 years of "Support the team. Not the regime". 

I'm not saying fans weren't just as frustrated, but the likes of SackPardew/AshleyOut gave fans a focal point to air their grievances towards poor ownership and (with some exclusions) poor management, yet plenty were happy to sit on their hands and continue to accept mediocrity if it meant a piss up on a Saturday under the guise of "Support the team...." 

Supporting them is a different matter, but we now have a ownership that matches the ambition of the fans, and a manager who given the time has what it takes to get there, yet for some fans 14 years of rubbish was acceptable but not performing in 5 tough games isn't.