AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

Great point, certainly would have taken that at the start of the game, but the performance was concerning. They are an iconic club, with a brilliant stadium and vast Champions League experience, but player for player, the difference shouldn't have been like that. They were around 6/4 pre match, we were 7/4, so almost 50/50, but the way the game panned out youd think we were some 6/1 no mark making up the numbers like a Plzen or Antwerp. 

Liverpool would have been much more in the game there and wouldn't hsve been dominated, but we do look well off it at the moment.

Still, good point though. 7 points at home and maybe nick another away point on the road and we should be in and around 2nd, but we'll hsve to be much better than that, and I would expect us to improve at home.

10 minutes ago, andycap said:

It's bad crack like when you can't voice an opinion in here about what we are all seeing on the pitch. Without getting pillared. 

Some people aren't even trying to be supportive or look at the context.

Relative to slagging off a bunch of players and team collectively that's got us even to the stage where we can draw in Milan people are far more entitled to their views a lack of support and humility in posts.

Edited by Jonas

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

Great point, certainly would have taken that at the start of the game, but the performance was concerning. They are an iconic club, with a brilliant stadium and vast Champions League experience, but player for player, the difference shouldn't have been like that. They were around 6/4 pre match, we were 7/4, so almost 50/50, but the way the game panned out youd think we were some 6/1 no mark making up the numbers like a Plzen or Antwerp. 

Liverpool would have been much more in the game there and wouldn't hsve been dominated, but we do look well off it at the moment.

Still, good point though. 7 points at home and maybe nick another away point on the road and we should be in and around 2nd, but we'll hsve to be much better than that, and I would expect us to improve at home.

I think you are being harsh on our team tonight.  A point away from home in The Champions League against AC Milan.  Read that last sentence again.

16 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Top teams would've buried us in that first half imo. They aren't one, we have a great opportunity to get 3 points on the board when we play them at SJP, and having gained some more experience in the CL.

We need to find a way to get more direct through balls into Isak, he's not getting much to work with!

Everyone fought for the team tonight though, looked shattered towards the end.

So last year’s CL semi finalist isn’t a top team? Not as if they proved their one of the top 4 teams in Europe or anything ey

Edited by Gawalls

3 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Milan showed the power of having pace in their defence, they very rarely looked threatened as their recovery pace is so good.

Their defence really impressed me. Isak and Almiron didnt had a sniff at all. Just Gordon who did a little bit of running past them.

In isolation today is a great result.  The problem is we’ve not played at last years levels once all season (or pre season).  We’ve beaten Villa.   Which was a great result, but they dominated large periods of the game.  We beat Brentford.  Again good result, but we looked average.  

This year was always going to be hard and it’s proving it so far.  Expectation is higher. 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Great result, but there are issues that need addressing with the huge gaps in our midfield and the lack of any fluidity in our attacking play, which aren't problems isolated to this performance.

To me it’s fairly obvious that we are missing Big and Little Joe.

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

I think you are being harsh on our team tonight.  A point away from home in The Champions League against AC Milan.  Read that last sentence again.

But they are nothing like as good as their iconic name. Player for player there's very little in it. If we had signed Loftus Cheek and Pulisic this summer they'd have been a lot of disappointment both on here and in general. 

25 shots to 6, 9 on target to 1, 6 corners to 2. Battered. Obviously the end result (in terms of points) would have been the same if we went there, went toe for toe and ended up with a thrilling 3-3 draw, but if any one of those 25 chances go in then the outlook on here would have been so much different, and it wasn't mainly down to heroic, well orgsnised defending, it was mainly down to poor Milan finishing that we came away with a very good draw, but it doesn't really inspire confidence, especially when we have been pretty off it in the league the last few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Paullow said:

But they are nothing like as good as their iconic name. Player for player there's very little in it. If we had signed Loftus Cheek and Pulisic this summer they'd have been a lot of disappointment both on here and in general. 

25 shots to 6, 9 on target to 1, 6 corners to 2. Battered. Obviously the end result (in terms of points) would have been the same if we went there, went toe for toe and ended up with a thrilling 3-3 draw, but if any one of those 25 chances go in then the outlook on here would have been so much different, and it wasn't mainly down to heroic, well orgsnised defending, it was mainly down to poor Milan finishing that we came away with a very good draw, but it doesn't really inspire confidence, especially when we have been pretty off it in the league the last few weeks.

Disagree.  We defended very well tonight although there were a few scary moments.  A point away to AC Milan in the San Siro.  Please read that last sentence.

6 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

So last year’s CL semi finalist isn’t a top team? Not as if they proved their one of the top 4 teams in Europe or anything ey

Not necessarily, its knockout football. They aren't a team like Madrid, City or Bayern, and that's what I consider a top team, the ones that punish you and would've likely killed that game off first half.

Of course they're a good team, but they didn't make me think we're in for a very tough night against them at SJP. If anything watching them made me think if we can get our play flowing by the time that game comes around we have a brilliant chance to take the points.

In fact I think we're going to be a massive shock for these teams at SJP! PSG are getting it!

Last season when the results weren't going out way I could always take some solace that we were still creating chances, just fluffing them for the best part.

Not getting that same feeling this season so far, but I'm not sure what's missing/not working for us.

They look like strangers at times, strangers kicking a live grenade around. We will come good performance wise, I've every faith in Howe and his team to get it ticking.

3 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

We’ve had a really tough start to the season mind, not too concerned about the performances yet.

Agree. I'm not going to fact check myself here, but feel very confident in saying we've had the most difficult set of games so far this season compared to any other team in the world. 

Our form at the moment is a little similar to our mid season dip last year. I fully expect us to click into gear at some point. We've played well in short spells, we just need to implement that same intensity we had last season.

I think we have badly missed willock and his penetrating runs. 

Edited by pubteam