West Ham United vs. Newcastle United: 8/10/23 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

8 hours ago, Menace said:

Wilson has a crazy record against these lot so wouldn't be surprised if he starts - suspect there will be some rotation too.

Macarena time!

As another nice stat, going back to the last time we played this fixture in April, twenty-one competitive games ago in all comps, we have scored 4 or more goals in seven times. Once every three matches (!!), including West Ham, Spurs, Brighton, and now PSG.

For a team that gets lots of commentary on here about attacking play, "can't beat a low block" etc., we do seem pretty good at twatting the opposition.

13 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Worked out we have 7 games in 22 days between Palace on 21/10 and Bournemouth on 11/11. Ridiculous. Going to have to manage the squad really well.

IMG_0010.thumb.jpeg.1de8ba561b8e0ff22bb3b1c0c8639072.jpeg

We've just played 6 in 19 and will be 7 in 23 after Sunday. Crucial international break. 

If we win this one we are absolutely flying.

This 1970 Pop Robson goal against West Ham was featured in the opening sequence of Match of the Day for a season or two. Comical mishit by the Mighty Wyn immediately followed by the amazing left-foot volley by Robson. 

I was standing right behind the goal.  Ball was coming directly at me.  Might have hit me but for the net.

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

This lot are really one dimensional, but they've mastered that dimension.

It won't be the cakewalk of last season and a point wouldn't be a disaster.

Player wise they’re very good tbf. Tactically though, I think most teams have a certain play-style that’s their go-to (I mean, we certainly do). Seems that you only get the “one-dimensional” tag if you employ a compact - some may say boring- system though.

8 hours ago, Stottie said:

Macarena time!

As another nice stat, going back to the last time we played this fixture in April, twenty-one competitive games ago in all comps, we have scored 4 or more goals in seven times. Once every three matches (!!), including West Ham, Spurs, Brighton, and now PSG.

For a team that gets lots of commentary on here about attacking play, "can't beat a low block" etc., we do seem pretty good at twatting the opposition.

I mean.. The reason we win by several goals has nothing to do with beating a low block, but quite the opposite really. When we take the lead, opponents has to start taking more chances, and they open up a little. We are ruthless against teams who are trying to get back into the game, because we get more space, and our team thrives in those situations. The struggle to beat low blocks from last season was mostly down to not taking our chances in certain games though.

Edited by Erikse