Newcastle United vs. Borussia Dortmund - 25/10/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Surprised we've only played 2 German sides at home considering we've played around 150 matches in Europe. We've played Frankfurt as well, but that was when the Europa League group stage was just single ties, and we played them away.

Really should be looking to win this one. The next 2 matches (BVB and PSG both away) are clearly much tougher than this one, and if we do win, and Milan don't, then we will be in a pretty strong position to qualify.

I honestly think that these are the weakest team in the group.

I know they were fucked over by the penalty in their first match against PSG, but they looked rather toothless upfront.

I obviously didn’t see their game against AC, but I’d imagine they may have been 2nd best in that fixture.

If we do the double over them then we are going to at least be playing in Europe in the 2nd part of the season, possibly already through to the knockout stages.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I honestly think that these are the weakest team in the group.

I know they were fucked over by the penalty in their first match against PSG, but they looked rather toothless upfront.

I obviously didn’t see their game against AC, but I’d imagine they may have been 2nd best in that fixture.

If we do the double over them then we are going to at least be playing in Europe in the 2nd part of the season, possibly already through to the knockout stages.

Even 4 points from them and we're 99.9% likely to still be in Europe, due to the head to head record, unless Milan also end up on exactly 8 points with us and Dortmund, and then the calculators will have to come out.

I'd take 4 points from the 2 games. I agree that they are the weakest of the 4, but the crowd in Germany will make that match a lot tougher.

20 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Win this and we should be guaranteed Europa League in the new year at least I think. None of the sides that dropped down to the Europa League last season had 7 points or more.

You'd have to go back to 2018/19 when a side with that many points finished bottom pf the group, CSKA Moscow on 7 points, but I guess when teams are more evenly matched in the so called Group of Death, no fodder in the group, and most play in front of big, passionate crowds then more chance teams will be taking points off each other, especially at home.

If we did lose the final 3 games, then Dortmund would obviously be on at least 4 points heading into the final match, and it wouldn't be a massive shock, and probably fairly feasible, if they won at home to an already qualified PSG and then, if we lost at home to Milan, it could come down to who won by more in the H2H matches between us and Dortmund.

Edited by Paullow

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not seen anything if Dortmund for a while, they any good ? 

Edit: Not top of their league actually although I think they were due to playing the early fixture this weekend, very good at attacking. Haven’t failed to score at home in forever if I remember correctly 

Edited by gbandit

Should be another amazing game, though expecting them to be a tough nut to crack after they'll have watched what happened to PSG.

Also more than ever really looking forward to Milan at home now, think that atmosphere should be electric too. What a group to be in!