Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

34 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The whole thing is just another example of the shitty imposition VAR is on the game. If it doesn't exist then my bet is that next to fuck all is made of the so-called controversy around that goal. A comment about the possible foul and how it could have gone the other way, and on we go. 

The presence of VAR energises all relevant parties to speculate, posture and demand over every possible infringement. I really would love to know what the officials feel about the job now compared to pre-VAR. To me the level of scrutiny and debate has increased a thousand-fold. It must be fucking miserable.

It's ironic because I actually think this was VAR used to the best of it's current implementation. Anything they shouldn't or couldn't have an input on was ignored, and the foul, which genuinely could have went either way, stuck with the referees decision.

Even at it's best it wasted 5 minutes of everyones time and has caused endless ammounts of debate :lol:

I'm not even against VAR anymore, I just wish they would hurry up and get it refined to a point where it doesn't feel random. It's pointless as a tool if it's just a case of 'who is going to feel fucked over this week'?

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's ironic because I actually think this was VAR used to the best of it's current implementation. Anything they shouldn't or couldn't have an input on was ignored, and the foul, which genuinely could have went either way, stuck with the referees decision.

Even at it's best it wasted 5 minutes of everyones time and has caused endoess ammounts of debate :lol:

This is a solid argument for why it doesn't even need to exist, imo, not that I'm necessarily calling for that. 

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Even at it's best it wasted 5 minutes of everyones time and has caused endoess ammounts of debate :lol:

I'm not even against VAR anymore, I just wish they would hurry up and get it refined to a point where it doesn't feel random. It's pointless as a tool if it's just a case of 'who is going to feel fucked over this week'?

Totally agree re being for or against. When it came in I was really annoyed it was rushed through without any consultation re the implications of it etc. But now it's been here a while I'm convinced there's a net benefit and most of the setbacks are due to human error. 

I'm repeating myself, but I would be happy if I knew independent VARs were making decisions independent of each other personally. Majority vote wins.

Edge cases are hard to accept and are why it all feels random to me. I would probably feel the same as the Arsenal fans regarding the push, as on another day it's called a foul, the protocol of sticking with the referees decision can feel like a coin flip.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Mikel Arteta says the match officials deserve support in situations where errors occur. “They are trying to make the best decisions. We need to understand that mistakes happen.” 

Arteta's comment on the Diaz goal. 

14 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I might have imagined it but was there a foul by Tomiyasu in the box in the lead up to the goal?

On joelinton? I thought that at the time, even watching from the leazes, I screamed pen. 

Strange how the VAR checks are only for the benefit of one team 

Reading the reddit threads and all the fume is unreal. So many think Havertz tackle was fine, and they're more annoyed with Bruno. Makes the 3 points even more joyous. Can't wait till Havertz gets snapped by someone, fucking prick. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

For what it's worth I thought Havertz was a yellow and Bruno a red.

Studs up into someone's shin is a red card every day of the week.

It all kicked off on the back of havertz cunt of a tackle and dare I say it. The rest of the things that happenn don't

12 minutes ago, Adam said:

Reading the reddit threads and all the fume is unreal. So many think Havertz tackle was fine, and they're more annoyed with Bruno. Makes the 3 points even more joyous. Can't wait till Havertz gets snapped by someone, fucking prick. 

Reddit's pretty awful for football, especially r/soccer. Can only assume they're mostly American. 

Havertz left the ground, and got some serious airtime, and he went in studs up, even if he didn't connect, it's still a terrible challenge and one that should be a red imo.

Bruno's is 100% a red too, was a really silly thing to do, and he let the emotions get the better of him.