Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

15 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

image.thumb.png.bfeb0a13c64430102a1e14e8cfb4f763.png

Neville absolutely nailing it 

Oh please, sorry. Not supporting Klopp or Arteta but Neville acting like an elder statement after pushing every rule to the limits and crossing lines to gain a favor is a bit too much.

article-2055133-0024C4A000000258-525_472

image.thumb.png.21529a61822ce85f1ef307f795931e08.png

Former referee Dermot Gallagher has lifted the lid on Sir Alex Ferguson's intimidation tactics.

And, with figures showing 'Fergie Time' has been slashed since the Scot's departure, the official has revealed the pressure referees were under during Manchester United home matches.

More here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2553037/I-know-3-1-call-Former-ref-Gallagher-lifts-lid-Fergies-influence-referees.html

I have nothing against any team doing everything in their power to gain an advantage. But stop acting like a statesman for sportsmanship and releasing statements after spending your entire career doing nothing but that. 

15 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

image.thumb.png.bfeb0a13c64430102a1e14e8cfb4f763.png

Neville absolutely nailing it 

Only part of this I disagree with is the insinuation that Ferguson used to do it in a similar way. He used it as a deflection tactic a lot, and yes he did complain about decisions, but I dont remember him sounding like such a baby while doing it

Just now, Pilko said:

Totally agree. I think quietly making a complaint to PGMOL if you feel hard done by, or calmly stating you think certain decisions were wrong in an interview is fine, but you should always point the finger at yourself. The performance was poor from them and their players will now have this incorrect motion that they did well on the day and deserved to win when in actual fact they were poor and may have just about been worth a point.

We are his Nemesis! It’s a beautiful thing! 

IMG_4786.thumb.png.60549506e26ceb921498364d1a6cba43.png

I suppose it’s easy to say from a Newcastle point of view, but I’d be really disappointed if Howe came out after the match and acted like Arteta. Privately you can fume to the players about any perceived injustice, recognise the unfortunate circumstances that left them with a loss in this game, but to do so publicly just sets a precedent for the entire squad.

What happens when they next have a continuous decision, are they going to lose all their composure again? These things are part of sport, especially football. It’s not a sterile, pure game. 

Arteta just comes across as another bully-boy to me. It’s a passionate game, but his antics and behaviour aren’t acceptable.

28 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm aware that debates happened, of course, but I don't agree that they were as raging as they are now. VAR means more incidents are debated as the benchmark for something being contentious becomes increasingly lowered, meanwhile there's a greater expectation for 'correctness' and therefore more aggro from the party on the wrong end of a call.

Yesterday is a good example. One borderline call becomes three, and according to the loser it's an embarrassment/disgrace; followed by statements from clubs which heaps yet more pressure on PGMOL and the individuals carrying out an already unappealing job. I don't think there's that reaction pre-VAR, it's "do we think Joelinton fouled Gabriel?" 

Again I'm not crowing for the abolition of VAR. There's probably a net gain in terms of number of decisions like @Interpolic says (though I refuse to count goals being disallowed for millimetre offside calls among that tally). I just wish it didn't have such an imposition on the game. 

I really don't think more incidents are debated, but I do think there are fewer incidents that are debated with much more intensity, largely because absolute clangers, like the Liverpool offside, are 10 times worse when officials have had the chance to check and still either get it wrong or miscommunicate the right decision.

With Arsenal and Arteta's reaction yesterday, I really do think that was a special case of a childish prat going completely over the top about a decision that was contentious but wasn't particularly controversial and (time taken aside) was done how we've all asked for it to be done. The only thing that was embarrassing and disgraceful was Arteta's behaviour.

Pre-VAR he would have still whinged on because that's who he is, the only difference imo would be that he'd use to as his peeve project for why we need to bring in VAR.

It's easy to forget as well that the likes of Sky will deliberately exaggerate these things to drive engagement as well. 

I agree with your last point though, and I think the automatic offside system is the next thing that needs to come in and would minimise one of the biggest problems we have.

Edited by Kid Icarus

22 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I don’t think applauding or supporting Arteta’s behaviour is good for Arsenal in the long-term. If my boss couldn’t control their emotions, I would lose complete respect for them. A manager has to set the standard for professionalism. Arteta hasn’t done that and it could have the opposite effect of galvanising the changing room. 

Agree. Contrast this with Howe - I don't think he's ever put a foot wrong in a post match interview regardless of the results or his own emotions at the time.

One earns respect through his conduct, the other becomes a bit of a joke and it will come back to bite Arteta when some decision goes in his favour and he has to eat his words or claim that he hadn't seen something.

I think the Havertz thing was already in his favour before we deservedly won it, by the way.

20 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Oh please, sorry. Not supporting Klopp or Arteta but Neville acting like an elder statement after pushing every rule to the limits and crossing lines to gain a favor is a bit too much.

article-2055133-0024C4A000000258-525_472

image.thumb.png.21529a61822ce85f1ef307f795931e08.png

Former referee Dermot Gallagher has lifted the lid on Sir Alex Ferguson's intimidation tactics.

And, with figures showing 'Fergie Time' has been slashed since the Scot's departure, the official has revealed the pressure referees were under during Manchester United home matches.

More here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2553037/I-know-3-1-call-Former-ref-Gallagher-lifts-lid-Fergies-influence-referees.html

I have nothing against any team doing everything in their power to gain an advantage. But stop acting like a statesman for sportsmanship and releasing statements after spending your entire career doing nothing but that. 

Nothing wrong with what he said though, so why waste time trying to act like he is not allowed to comment on it. He is a commentator, it's his job. If people aren't allowed to comment on things because they made mistakes around it themselves in the past then that would wipe out a lot of conversations in football.

31 minutes ago, Andy said:

The fallout from this has been absolutely beautiful, majestic. What a horrible club and fanbase Arsenal are. 

Aye, we missed this being irrelevant nobodies to anyone under Ashley. The Robson era was before the world of social media. Fans from the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal these days seem fucking awful (I know we have some whoppers too).

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, we missed this being irrelevant nobodies to anyone under Ashley. The Robson era was before the world of social media. Fans from the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal these days seem fucking awful (I know we have some whoppers too).

Two of my mates summed it up perfectly on WhatsApp, referencing Sir Bobby's comments of "Some people need to learn how to lose".

Edited by Heron

I really think this particular goal call was possibly the most complicated one for VAR we've seen yet. It's there to prove a wrong was done, it couldn't across 3 elements, so goal stood. I think it should give the benefit of the doubt, not rule out something it can't be sure on. Feel its a harsh situation for VAR to handle, it was for clear and obvious errors, not really uncertain and hard to prove marginals.

43 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I really don't think more incidents are debated, but I do think there are fewer incidents that are debated with much more intensity, largely because absolute clangers, like the Liverpool offside, are 10 times worse when officials have had the chance to check and still either get it wrong or miscommunicate the right decision.

With Arsenal and Arteta's reaction yesterday, I really do think that was a special case of a childish prat going completely over the top about a decision that was contentious but wasn't particularly controversial and (time taken aside) was done how we've all asked for it to be done. The only thing that was embarrassing and disgraceful was Arteta's behaviour.

Pre-VAR he would have still whinged on because that's who he is, the only difference imo would be that he'd use to as his peeve project for why we need to bring in VAR.

It's easy to forget as well that the likes of Sky will deliberately exaggerate these things to drive engagement as well. 

I agree with your last point though, and I think the automatic offside system is the next thing that needs to come in and would minimise one of the biggest problems we have.

The mad thing is that VAR should mean there's less debate to be had. The rules are the problem IF you want VAR to be implemented with good effect, in my opinion.

Arteta made himself look like an idiot last night, but he was emotional after the match, you could maybe forgive him for that. But he doubles down in the press conference, maybe he's then taking it a bit far. Now we have the club trebling down with a statement you'd expect from a fan, not a football club. Everyone is going to know that they are total bottle jobs with a defeatist mentality that clearly runs right through the club. Painting themselves as victims over  one decision is utterly pathetic.

From  The Mag

“Well, this is the real reason why Mikel Arteta was so upset after Saturday’s game at St James’ Park.

A stat I kept heard getting quoted after yesterday’s match, was that before Saturday, the previous 24 matches between the two clubs had seen only two Newcastle United wins.

That stat is true BUT so is this one.

After Saturday, the most recent AND relevant stat is that, in the last four meetings between the two clubs, Newcastle United have now won twice, drawn once and lost just the one time.

Mikel Arteta is so upset after Saturday because he knows that Eddie Howe has got his number.

In three of these last four games between Newcastle and Arsenal, Arteta’s team haven’t managed to score a single goal.

This is quite astonishing, considering that Arsenal in recent times have been second best to only Man City, that last season only Man City scored more goals than Arsenal, that in their previous 17 games (all competitions) this season, the Gunners had never failed to score.

Yet Arsenal have lost twice and had a goalless home draw in these last four matches against Newcastle and yesterday couldn’t even manage a single proper shot on target.

No wonder Mikel Arteta has been acting like an oversized baby / toddler, launching his toys out of the pram.

Mikel Arteta is getting repeatedly schooled by Eddie Howe and he doesn’t like it one bit”

:howe:

Really enjoyed the match ,we were so committed to the cause and where on earth do they get the energy from is beyond me. Joelinton was MOTM  and what a 3 points it was. Love my club me like . 

Edited by GWN

I'm struggling to understand their fans acting like we set out to do a number on them? 

The game was relatively calm, and then Kai Havertz changed the complexity of the match, then emotions were raised.  For me it was all down to one player.