Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm presuming they mean the team rather than the fanbase, but even then it's just an insane lack of self-awareness like. 

I'm assuming they mean both the crowd and players during the game, as everyone was rightfully raging a lot of the time due to pissy little fouls they kept getting away with whilst we were penalised for anything. 

I like it when we get the odd annoying decision against us as there's nothing like a sense of injustice to rouse the crowd, but it was a piss take on Saturday. 

Edited by Wilson

14 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Almost as many post match analysis posts as there were in game posts here.

Oddly enough the Norwegian forum has gradually and eventually completely died out after the takeover. It was way more active pre takeover.

I see a lot of people saying the goals was definitely a foul for the push, but I notice every single former premier centre half I've seen comment on the issue, other than ex-Arsenal Martin Keown, has said they thought it wasn't a foul. I think a lot of pundits just want to stoke the controversy so they something to talk about until next weekend.

I'm surprised that Arsenal have made a statement backing Arteta. I can understand managers getting het up in the immediate aftermath of a game, but clubs need to set a better example all round. And above all else, they're simply wrong. Allowing the goal wasn't the outrage that they're suggesting.

It's so funny isn't it how football can make you blindly see what you want to see.

Of all the media coverage I have seen, you can almost tell, if anyone has a preference for either Newcastle or Arsenal their view is skewered the other way.

What's more remarkable is it makes people completely contradict themselves regarding their views on VAR etc. (giving benefit to the attacker, sticking with onfield decisions and not re-reffing etc) 

With all that said, I thought at the time and the more I watch it back, there is nothing wrong with the goal. The more angles we are getting of it, it seems pretty clear it didn't fully go out of play. The "push" is absolutely nothing in real time and is more of a Joelinton stopping himself from falling over Gabriel, but slowed down and freeze-framed like everything always looks far worse and removes the the movement to show how much actual force there was. The "offside is nothing aswell, it's not clear if Gordon is infront of the ball and it's not even clear if the ball touches Joelinton. 

This was all a distraction from Arteta and ofcourse the media have eaten it up instead of condemning his nonsense roundly. The only thing the officials got wrong is how they handled the Havertz issue. Booking all our players for being rightfully upset with that tackle just sparked it off and caused things like Bruno's head going etc. The statement from in particular is shocking and should be rightfully punished. That is unfair on the VAR officials who actually correctly applied it and for rightfully took their time to get to the correct decision.  

It's crazy, there genuinely needs to be a serious conversation about the standard of officiating in this country but these Super League teams are only interested in it when decisions finally, briefly go against them.

Also, the idea that the PL is in cahoots with us completely dismisses the fucking what...18 months of fighting it took to even be taken over?

Rest assured - next time we play at Arsenal, we'll get bugger all from the officials there. Ian Wright actually had the gall to say the ref was a 'homer' on Saturday? If that's the case, he'd had sent off Havertz like he was supposed to!

We are back at the top table, fellas and this kind of 'thing' will happen more often. We've upset the applecart - certain big clubs and the media don't like it  - at all.

Edited by Big Geordie

1 minute ago, Big Geordie said:

Rest assured - next time we play at Arsenal, we'll get bugger all from the officials there. Ian Wright actually had the gall to say the ref was a 'homer' on Saturday? If that's the case, he'd had sent off Havertz like he was supposed to!

And not made us play with 10men for a bout 5mins (delays allowing players back on after treatment ) while play got stopped for their players to tie laces.

Edited by madras

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's crazy, there genuinely needs to be a serious conversation about the standard of officiating in this country but these Super League teams are only interested in it when decisions finally, briefly go against them.

Also, the idea that the PL is in cahoots with us completely dismisses the fucking what...18 months of fighting it took to even be taken over?

Don't let that get in the way of there reasoning. They're going crackers the whole big six they cannot stand it. 

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/match/miguel-almiron-did-something-to-william-saliba-that-no-other-premier-league-player-has-done-this-season/

No Premier League player had been able to dribble past William Saliba

Arsenal defender William Saliba has been absolutely exceptional so far this season, and is widely recognised as one of the Premier League’s elite centre-backs.

During the first 10 games of the season, not a single Premier League player had managed to dribble past the Frenchman, such is his dominance in the red of Arsenal.

However, that record tumbled in game number 11 courtesy of one of Eddie Howe’s men.

Miguel Almiron becomes the first as Newcastle beat Arsenal
According to Squawka, Miguel Almiron became the first Premier League player this season to dribble past Saliba during Newcastle’s 1-0 win.

Almiron had the speed to do what no other player has done this season, and it sums up how well the 29-year-old is playing right now.

The Paraguayan is enjoying a rich vein of form, and was outstanding during the win over Arsenal. His work rate down the right was sublime, while he was a constant threat on the break with his speed.

Combine that with his goal against Manchester United and it has been a brilliant few days in black and white for Miggy.

Hopefully this form can continue against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday night, as Almiron and co head to Germany.

Edited by prefabtoon

The narrative is changing now that there is multiple videos online showing how the ball was likely still in play. The Arsenal fans are now changing it to how it was a foul.

Give it a couple of more days and they will move onto the offside, by end of the week they may finally accept it.