Tottenham Hotspur 4-1 Newcastle United (10/12/23)

Yorkie

15 minutes ago, toon25 said:

A fucking capitulation.

Sorry Eddie, this is on you.

It’s on all of them sort of but it’s mainly on the literally unprecedented injury situation. We play a physically demanding way and our calendar has been as physically demanding as possible, then we lost a squad for 2 months without anything getting less physically demanding. 

It’s unpleasant but it’s so obviously contextually justified.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Never mind, lads. Remember that it makes the wins all the more sweeter.

We're a great team on a hell of a journey. There'll be plenty of bumps like this one along the way.

This. We are not there yet, but we are on a journey. 

Just can't handle all these injuries and this season seems to be about cup runs and building for the next one. Just bad luck.

Bad Wilson miss, so it should have finished 4-2. A fairer reflection than 4-1. We were shit, but made them look better than they are. Swap keepers and who knows....

If that's our rival for fifth, I can't say I'm too concerned. There are lots of games left to play and we'll get better in them.

Poor from us, fatigue or not.

We never got near them, we never looked to make a pass and just had time when we just stood there with the ball, or lumped it long straight back to them.

We just looked like we were throwing the game away to an extent.

I know that we have a had injuries, I know our players are knackered, but it’s a worry about how the players pick themselves up after 2 convincing defeats when we have an important game in midweek where we need things to go our way, both in our match, and in another. We then have a fuck load of games in between then, one of which is a cup game that will be difficult, and once we are past that we have the biggest banana skin with the derby to go in to.

On top of this we have no players coming close to coming back, and if we can get players in January, how long in January will it take?

3 minutes ago, ikri said:

Another really poor away performance.  We seem to struggle against teams who can actually press us well and seem bereft of ideas on what to do when the game isn't going our way.

That's because Howe only knows how to play one way and has personnel who only know how to also. We simply don't know how to change it or play a different style or system

This will ultimately be his downfall

Spurs did to us what we did to them last season. Greatly benefitted an easier fixture list, shorter injury list with some vengance sprinkled on top.

Can't fucking wait for our players to start getting back from injuries.

We'll turn this into a run of form soon enough.

9 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's pure speculation whether he would or not. None of the goals we've conceeded I've thought "Pope would 100% save". Dubs has had a couple of saves/interactions where Pope potentially could have conceeded too.

Pope is a better keeper, but this narrative that is seeping in that Dubs is the main cause for the results in the last two games and that we're doomed unless we bring in a washed up De Gea who hasn't played a competitive match in 8 months is just wrong. 

Every change and your opinion on it is speculation but you’d be a fool to ignore the stats and their they’re to see, we’ve conceded more goals in dubs last two games than we did under Popes last TEN games. For you to dismiss that with a “that’s pure bullshit” and a you’re talking bollocks style emote is mental in my opinion.  

also I never once mentioned de gea so you’ve name dropped him into the reply to me for God knows why, but now we’re on the subject - Man U finished third with him last season so for you to say he’s washed out is also speculation.

Edited by Gawalls

This season has been a peaks and valleys, man. [emoji38]

This form was bound to happen given our injuries and fixture congestion. I admire Eddie for trying to put out his best 11, but today and this week has been too much without any capable players to rotate.

Can't blame the players for showing lack of fitness and sharpness that they’ve shown recently despite our lack of options on the bench. Saw some long faces, so hopefully playing at home midweek can inject some energy and get a win to rejuvenate the available players over the Christmas period.

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

Bad Wilson miss, so it should have finished 4-2. A fairer reflection than 4-1. We were shit, but made them look better than they are. Swap keepers and who knows....

If that's our rival for fifth, I can't say I'm too concerned. There are lots of games left to play and we'll get better in them.

We were 2-0 down before Dubravka had even made a mistake :lol:

Just now, BullyDogs said:

That's because Howe only knows how to play one way and has personnel who only know how to also. We simply don't know how to change it or play a different style or system

This will ultimately be his downfall

Ooof, that’s a big and early call.  Howe’s Bournemouth didn’t play like this.  I’ve got a lot of faith that Howe will evolve with the team / club. 

3 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Wouldn’t be a favour either. There’s a reason he’s been replaced. 

Better than he we currently have available. However I'd guess our scouts are currently sussing out keepers world wide.

Poor performance and no complaints about the result, it could have been even worse in hindsight. Not going to pile in on them too much but that first half was pathetic even allowing for the tiredness. Some of the 'football' we played at times was shocking. Really struggled with the basics of controlling and passing the fucking thing. Spurs pressed well and knocked it around well but that first half was as poor and passive as we've been for months. 

It will get better as we get more bodies back but I'm not sure what we'll still have left to play for other than the league by the end of January. It was always going to be a roller-coaster of a season and this is one of the dips. Need to look ahead and think about how huge the Milan game is for us now. No point dwelling on this or feeling sorry for ourselves, these games are the reward for their performances last season. 

4 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Dont you think we have an away problem? 

Nah, we were 3rd last year on the away table. 

Think its a mix of coincidence and that the players are able to fight through the tiredness when playing with the home crowd behind them this year.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

Poor from us, fatigue or not.

We never got near them, we never looked to make a pass and just had time when we just stood there with the ball, or lumped it long straight back to them.

We just looked like we were throwing the game away to an extent.

I know that we have a had injuries, I know our players are knackered, but it’s a worry about how the players pick themselves up after 2 convincing defeats when we have an important game in midweek where we need things to go our way, both in our match, and in another. We then have a fuck load of games in between then, one of which is a cup game that will be difficult, and once we are past that we have the biggest banana skin with the derby to go in to.

On top of this we have no players coming close to coming back, and if we can get players in January, how long in January will it take?

If we lose that Banana skin then I fear that is a result Howe will never recover from