Newcastle United vs AC Milan - 13/12/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

Paully

I know I might get pelters for this but if progressing meant drawing real Madrid and going out next round (albeit more money for getting out the group) or a draw taking us to the EL and potentially going further in the competition which would people prefer? 

3 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

I know I might get pelters for this but if progressing meant drawing real Madrid and going out next round (albeit more money for getting out the group) or a draw taking us to the EL and potentially going further in the competition which would people prefer? 

Lets be honest if we qualify 2nd we arent getting to the last 8 anyway

4 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

For me I want top 2- if that meant Madrid next then happy days.

I just see 3rd and EL as a consolation prize.

5 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Madrid all day.

Also with EL we would go into a play off round with the teams who finished 2nd in EL groups - and if win that then we go to last 16. So is more games if we go down the EL route. So 2nd in group and Madrid all day long for me.

Edited by Bally21

3 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Well come on its beaing realistic if we finish 2nd then its likely Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico,Bayern or Sociedad/Inter over 2 legs

We’ve just comfortably beat PSG over two legs…

2 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Well come on its beaing realistic if we finish 2nd then its likely Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico,Bayern or Sociedad/Inter over 2 legs

Must have imagined this season where we have already beaten PSG, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Aston Villa......but yeah you accept defeat before we even qualify

1 minute ago, BullyDogs said:

Do you consider PSG an elite club amongst the other ones in the competition still?, the same PSG that Milan twatted 3-0?

Bayern just got twatted 5-1 off Frankfurt. Barca 2-4 at home to Girona.

If PSG qualify they will start betting favourites against at least Atleti and Sociedad.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Bayern just got twatted 5-1 off Frankfurt. Barca 2-4 at home to Girona.

If PSG qualify they will start betting favourites against at least Atleti and Sociedad.

i just feel last 8 is about our ceiling for champions league at the moment and progression beyond that is a good few years off, remember Man City not being able to progress beyond that for a good few years. These teams may not be elite as you have stated but they are seasoned champions league competitors. The 2 games against Dortmund showed that we dont have that savvy about us yet and even though we had chances in both games we were well beaten in them by the more experienced side

9 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

i just feel last 8 is about our ceiling for champions league at the moment and progression beyond that is a good few years off, remember Man City not being able to progress beyond that for a good few years. These teams may not be elite as you have stated but they are seasoned champions league competitors. The 2 games against Dortmund showed that we dont have that savvy about us yet and even though we had chances in both games we were well beaten in them by the more experienced side

Probably, I certainly wouldn’t expect us to get through the next round if we do qualify (possibly if it ended up being Sociedad).

But if we can get back to having reasonable squad depth, we’d have a chance against anyone, especially if the second leg were at home.

1 hour ago, nufcjmc said:

I would go for EL because this is last season in UCL where 3rd places drop to EL, as the new format will not allow this anymore. This might be a good time to win the EL and not feel like we are underachieving. As we get stronger in the coming years, not qualifying to UCL will feel like a failure. 

The worrying thing about playing Real is it my turn Bruno's head.

Best to withdraw from the competition.

Focus on staying in the Premier League.  

Edited by TBG