Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Andy said:

We had plenty of players back covering, it should have been dealt with. 

Shouldn't have needed to, he had options to pass through in offensive positions could have kept the attack going and got back into position. It was naive to the extreme.

Just now, cubaricho said:

People complaining about the subs tonight :lol: 

Proving everyone right who bitched when Howe didn't make subs and others said damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yeah it's almost like there's games where we play well and don't need a change, and games where we play bad and we do need changes. Absolutely fucking wild that, isn't it? 

Just now, cubaricho said:

People complaining about the subs tonight :lol: 

Proving everyone right who bitched when Howe didn't make subs and others said damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I’ve never bitched, but unless Gordon and Trippier were injured, then they were quite odd :lol:

That being said, proud of this team. Gave us some moments in the CL and feel cheated by that polish ref.

11 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We should have had 2 wins over PSG. But ok, we’re not good enough ??

Won one, drew two, lost three

I’ve loved all of this, and those lads worked their bollocks off.  But it’s hardly controversial to say that we aren’t an elite European team

We totally bossed it and you could tell when the battery was nearing empty.. it invited them on and encouraged them.

It was nothing to do with tactics. I’ve no doubt we’re a better side than Milan.

But fuck, we need a rest. We need some more players back. For our domestic season this will be a blessing.

1 minute ago, ryanegg said:

Can understand if he was fucked, but I did think it would go either way with that change. Could Burn have done better for that goal too? Not watched it back but it looked like he could from first look.

Either way, the lads gave it their all. I will never forget being at that PSG game for the rest of my life. Been a wicked run, despite the losses.

Lets focus on the league now and get back up there.

He walked away from him. Awful defending

Joelinton and Almiron worked and worked all game. Quality not there across the team or maybe mentality to see it through but the effort is there. Need to find a way to be clinical as not good enough in attack most the time and then collapsing.

Its about learning from it and probably got in this a few years before we should. We were a mess a few years ago and now we are just lacking the quality. Need to just accept the current form knowing it will get much much better.

Shame, we played well for quite a lot of the match, their goal came a bit out out of nothing. Game got a bit open and out of hand later. Overall I didn't really think we deserved to qualify from the group though tbh.

Feel we really need at least one top playmaker in the squad and a proper defensive DM as well IMO, can't expect Bruno to try and be both roles. Also, is it just me, or is Isak really not very effective on the left? - he's had a couple of moments there, but most of the time I'm really not convinced he produces much. He might be better in more of a free-roaming no. 10 role if Wilson's playing up top.

I presume Trippier got a bit of a knock.

Anyway, pretty rubbish week but a few players coming back and we can focus on the league & domestic cups now I guess.

Just now, vexred said:

Our players deserve better and louder fans in the stadium. Didn't try and lift the players at all when we went behind. If moving from St James' would give a better atmosphere I'm 100% for it. 

Don’t be daft, the crowd were fantastic. It just hurts even more so moods drop. 
Suggest getting to games next season and helping the team.

I’m gutted, even if we couldn’t have got the win, at least getting into the Europa League would have been something, and a competition we have flirted with and had a bit of a love affair with in the past.

We don’t deserve it, injuries and a fully fit team and we would have gone through I believe, and let’s not talk about Qatar FC buying their way to a draw against us.

We have a lot to be proud of, we battled, and we made a good go of a group that no other English sides face. This isn’t like Man Utd last night who were given a pass to the knockout stages and said no thank you.

For what it’s worth, that PSG team will get fucking smashed in the knockout stages, they are a million miles away from winning the Champions League, we’ll probably win it before they do.

1 minute ago, vexred said:

Our players deserve better and louder fans in the stadium. Didn't try and lift the players at all when we went behind. If moving from St James' would give a better atmosphere I'm 100% for it. 

The stadium design doesn’t help and never has.  One for the SJP thread though. 

Just now, SiLvOR said:

Someone had to take a tactical yellow there, don't understand it at all

Was Bruno, had the perfect opportunity to take him down but let him go.

Think he was on a booking going into the game.