Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Very true this, like. We had loads of opportunities on the break when it opened up around 70 minutes but they were so slow to make a decision; let them regroup every time. 

Howe needs reinforcements - whether that's returning players or new signings - but I think he's shown some tactical weakness this season. We're wedded to a particular style and when that's good it's great. But all our plan Bs are generally unconvincing. 

We don't have a plan B that's his biggest weakness

Sad but not gutted. Think we have had our time, and that taste of CL football and wanting it again should spur the players on in the new year thus getting better performances and results in thr league. Had we stayed in Europe, there would have been a high chance we would drop further down the league table from March onwards trying to juggle Europe and domestic competitions.

If we can beat Chelsea in thr Carabao cup, then we have a 2 legged semi to look forward to. Ofcourse the derby is also important but I'm just probably more glad that we won't have too many games after Christmas and we'll have a proper crack at going for the top 4 again with fresher and fitter players hopefully. The injuries have just been horrendous so that should clear up better now.

2 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

To throw away the game like that to a truly poor opponent.... it's gonna hurt for years.

Honestly, can't believe we let that happen. It was on a plate. Absolutely gutted.

Milan aren’t a poor side, even if they don’t have a Maldini or a Van Basten

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

And PSG should have had about eight by that point.  We can hardly say we were at their level that night.  Piss poor finishing kept us in it.

The game is about scoring, you could also say that we could have had an extra couple of goals ourselves tonight.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Over react much? We’re still 7th in the league with loads of injuries and a few kids have forced their way into first team contention during the difficult times. We’re still in the cup, again with kids getting us through, Gordon has massively grown this season and we’ve done ourselves proud in the CL. 

Small margins and I genuinely believe if Pope was playing we’re still in Europe tonight as their keeper made a couple of amazing saves and Dubravka doesn’t have that in his game.

This is not the definition of “a piss take” - be proud of the effort, be happy we play less games now and move on.

Not angry at the players or the club or even the coaching staff. They've given their all and the injuries have largely all been freak injuries.

I'm just kinda mad in general. It's just feels generally shit. Like vaguely shit. 

Edited by mikejaxer

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, extraordinary the numbers who aren’t getting that.  Milan had four forwards on - they were desperate, knowing that they had to win. We needed patience, not our centre half thinking he’s Beckenbauer.

These lads have done the club proud, but naivety is not a trait that the elite sides have.  We’ll be there soon enough

Extraordinary is not understanding that we were pushing too and Schar, regardless of position, is regularly a key attacking route for us. There is literally no need to find a scapegoat, it was a tradeoff we came out on the wrong side of. Not everything in football has to have a person or persons at fault, it's generally more complicated than that.

Just now, 54 said:

I really don't get the Dubravka stuff? Thought he was more that fine even looked decent at times, was literally nothing he could do about either goal, and was assured in pretty much everything he did? 

I think he's just an easy target (no pun intended) seeing the results of late. Fact is Pope doesn't swing any of these recent fixtures the other way

1 minute ago, Bally21 said:

Proud of the lads tonight... scharr going for it...why the fuck not.... hero if it comes off... if it doesn't then that's the way it goes... onwards and upwards. HWTL. 

Because we were qualifying for the next round of European competition if he doesn’t?

Just now, 54 said:

I really don't get the Dubravka stuff? Thought he was more that fine even looked decent at times, was literally nothing he could do about either goal, and was assured in pretty much everything he did? 

I’m sick of the whole “there’s nothing he could have done for all 9 goals” we’ve conceded in just three fucking games he’s played, he’s bang on average and that’s all.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

No complaints with the outcome. It was in our hands, we held it there and threw it away ourselves. A win or even a draw and we did the one thing we absolutely couldn't allow to happen from 1 nil up.

Very naive play from Schär, non-existent goalkeeping from Dubravka and forward play from Wilson, an extremely odd decision to bring off Trippier, ineffective subs to a man that made us worse, and some missed chances by both teams. A perfect storm and one that felt self inflicted with hindsight. 

Very disappointing to completely go out like that.  We've had some great memories in this competition, one of them up there with the best in my time supporting the club, and we've robbed ourselves with that second half.

Also pretty shit to see a lot of the crowd not stay behind to applaud the lads.

Dubravka: 5

Trippier: 7.5 

Lascelles: 7.5 

Schär: 6

Livramento: 6.5

Bruno: 7.5 

Joelinton: 8

Miley: 7.5

Almiron: 6

Wilson: 5

Gordon: 7.5 

Burn: 5.5

Isak: 5.5

Longstaff: 5.5

Good post, also think our subs made us worse other than some positive moves from Isak. All being fully fit I'd have just moved Gordon to the right and subbed almiron for Isak leaving things as they were. Gordon almost didn't make the game though and Trippier has looked tired.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I want to blame fatigue for the second half performance. But I feel like we bottled it. 

I wouldn't say we "Bottled it" but do think we lacked the nous required to see them sort of games. Which lets be real, should be expected, we are way ahead of schedule, and this was a lot of these players first time playing at this level, was to be expected, hopefully the player group and management learn from it going forward.

Just now, Bally21 said:

Proud of the lads tonight... scharr going for it...why the fuck not.... hero if it comes off... if it doesn't then that's the way it goes... onwards and upwards. HWTL. 

Like to think they wanted CL or nothing tonight, that’s where I was at, couldn’t give a fuck about the EL.

6 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

To throw away the game like that to a truly poor opponent.... it's gonna hurt for years.

Honestly, can't believe we let that happen. It was on a plate. Absolutely gutted.

Their keeper pulled an absolute miracle of a save against Bruno and Tomori with the last ditch defending as well.

Don't forget they hit the post more than once in the second half as well. They are not poor and to be honest you can argue sucker punched their way through to a deserved win based on that second half.

Edited by Amir_9

Just now, Stifler said:

The game is about scoring, you could also say that we could have had an extra couple of goals ourselves tonight.

We weren’t close to be as dominant as PSG were.  Bruno’s saved shot onto the woodwork aside, I don’t remember any other real chances.  (Almiron was offside). 

Feel like I should feel proud etc. but I don't. I just feel angry and like we should've done better. Maybe I'll feel different tomorrow because some of them put in a massive shift and have been for a while.

Also, not sure how it came across on TV but I thought isak put in a disgraceful shift in. Usual nice touches but didn't move off the ball in either direction while Joelinton was everywhere.