Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

The silver lining - is not in the euro league.

Get the injured back, buy a couple and concentrate on the league again.

Proud of the lads and this club.

HWTL

And this is a massive silver lining for me

4 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Very Very bad game management by Howe for me exactly like the Liverpool game

He shows his naivety at times in these big games. This one's on him for me

We have the weakest squad and the least experience in the group by far.

Howe has gone toe to toe with every manager in this group.

The manager is the least of our problems. We dominated this team for large parts of the game but there was a failure to execute at key moments.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Defending a 1-1 draw when a winner gets you into the next round is loser talk.  We could’ve attacked with more nous. But we did need to score.  

Yes, but Milan were desperate, hence the four forwards.  They’d have presented chances in the following ten minutes.  Going gung-ho was stupid.  Their desperation was greater than ours.  

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Delete your account FFS. We need some kind of vetting process for new members, latest crop is a fucking shambles 

He’s the same in most game threads, whaling on Howe with no real justification or understanding for the situation the squad has faced. 

N

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I do get it, it’s not complicated, but it’s not something which required an act of desperation at that point.  It was naive. 

And given we have won literally nothing for six decades, I don’t think we can talk about ‘second best’.  The UEFA Cup isn’t a booby prize. 

Would you rather be in the CL or EL? Might you say one comes after the other in the priority list? Dare I say.... Second? 

Second isn't the end of the world, but you have to go for the top prize if it's on. That's where we were tonight and we gambled. Don't blame them, worth it tbh

Edited by LiquidAK

3 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

The silver lining - is not in the euro league.

Get the injured back, buy a couple and concentrate on the league again.

Proud of the lads and this club.

HWTL

Aye definitely don't want to be in a competition we could actually win

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I want to blame fatigue for the second half performance. But I feel like we bottled it. 

We did bottle it, it’s a fair cricitism. Naivety and idiotic play for both goals. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yes, but Milan were desperate, hence the four forwards.  They’d have presented chances in the following ten minutes.  Going gung-ho was stupid.  Their desperation was greater than ours.  

I agree we could’ve been a bit smarter. Milan used all their experience, nous and incisiveness. And we looked we behind the ears and nervous at times. 

6 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Delete your account FFS. We need some kind of vetting process for new members, latest crop is a fucking shambles 

Delete my account because I have the absolute temerity to criticise Howes game management tonight

That was terrible and naive tonight we had that game won and going to the last 16 to just throw it away like that is a disgrace really and anyone that thinks differently is naive too

This was the Liverpool game all over again game was won but the changes and our approach once they scored fucked us. Once they scored we all could see what was coming

Silver lining is that it's not a 'gutted' situation. We didn't have the heartbreak of a last minute PSG winner or a terrible ref decision or something to rob us tonight.

A win - a position we were in - and we'd have stayed in the Champions League 

A draw - a position we were in - and we'd have been in the Europa League 

It was in our hands, Dortmund did their bit, Milan weren't brilliant, and we couldn't do it. No excuses, regrets or what ifs.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is a nice way to say we bottled it. 

We never looked scared or fearful, and put in a heck of a performance for most parts of that game.

Don't understand how that is deemed as bottling it, but to each their own I guess.

In key moments our lack of quality/calibre showed. Lascelles has to recognise to go flying out to Leao on the first goal, Schar has to recognise he cannot risk looking to play passes on the edge of their box and being out of position with the counter threats they have, and Isak and Bruno have to be more cynical when they break.

Tbh at the end of the day, this does feel like very, very, very bitter medicine we just have to swallow to make us stronger.

Realistically, we would have played more games in Europe in either the CL or Europa - but probably not had the squad depth or, quite frankly, first team truthlessness to progress much further.

We have a much better chance of winning a domestic cup this year. The long term vision of the club is to compete in the CL regularly. With the stacked deck of revenue distribution, even progressing a few rounds isn't going to massively improve this year's revenue - the best thing to do is to requalify for Europe next year, and this outcome is probably most beneficial to that ambition.

If we want to make some more noise next year, Newcastle needs to qualify for Europe and attract better players.

Howe also will learn from this.

The worst thing is this run probably weakens England's case for a fifth CL spot.

Not sure what I think about us throwing everything at it at 1-1 when we were 3rd at that point. 

The Leao chance was a warning sign. Why over commit? Milan would have to come at us and worst case scenario, we drop into the EL and the journey continues. 

Feel like we've thrown it away like. AZ, Sporting Lisbon, Marseille...

15 minutes ago, Wullie said:

The seeding means any new club qualifying has the deck stacked against them.

Us getting to the Quarter finals our first year back (after getting through an additional playoff round before the group) was a hell of an achievement.