Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

Just home… Was a great cup tie. Support was excellent throughout. Arguably a fair result on balance of play similar to PSG but felt equally as cruel after all their effort.

Hopefully they use the disappointment in a positive way.

13 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Just home… Was a great cup tie. Support was excellent throughout. Arguably a fair result on balance of play similar to PSG but felt equally as cruel after all their effort.

Hopefully they use the disappointment in a positive way.

Let’s smash Luton :indi:

4 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

We played them at home 24 days ago, had 54% possession to their 46% and beat them 4-1.

Our starting line-up had 7 out of the 10 outfield players who started today's game.  It was:

Pope, Trippier, Lascelles (c) (Dummett 87), Schar, Livramento; Miley (Diallo 90+3), Guimaraes, Joelinton; Almiron (Murphy 87), Isak (Ritchie 81), Gordon (Ndiweni 90+2)

So this time we had Botman instead of Schar, Longstaff instead of Big Joe and Wilson instead of Isak. Otherwise the same.

Yet this time we had only 22% possession and were constantly on the defensive.  Obviously home advantage isn't the only factor, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference

That same group of players have also played the major of the games since then with games every 3-4 days with little rest, while Chelsea play once a week and have a huge playing squad. 

4 hours ago, Conjo said:

We have played 6 games in between those two games, largely with the same players in every game with the exception of a few players being rushed back from injury due to others getting injured, while Chelsea have played 4 with a bigger squad and less injuries.

Yes, that's undoubtedly a big part of it.  But there's still been a huge gulf between the quality and style of home performances as compared with away.

9 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

I still can't shake off my decades-long apathetic attitude towards this competition. 

Just felt that we'd never have beaten Liverpool anyway and, pre-match, instead of excitement it was more about being pissed off that yet another match would inevitably bring more injuries.

So it is what it is.

What's frustrating is that we played with 50% effort and still almost beat them comfortably. Not once did I believe their half-chances would go in.

But Kieran  :sad:

Not seeing that personally. The players are visibly out on their feet, some playing with injuries.

Edited by The Prophet

7 hours ago, Beth said:

I'm 50. Born a month before the mackems won the FA cup. Got maybe 30 years left if I'm lucky, starting to think I'll never see us win anything in my lifetime.

3 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Snap -  same age as you, Beth. :thup:

I was, literally, 60 yesterday 🎁

Started the day in the campervan, in the Lakes, then came back early. 

Weather was supposedly going to turn hurricane....ish so the camp was closing today. Plus the pub WiFi was rank so we sacked if off and came back. 

I guess, having supported NUFC for varnigh 55 years, I'm riddled with bouncebackability 😁

Our time will come and you bairns WILL see that day. 

Great to wake up this morning and read some posts at the bottom of this thread that are more positive and hopeful than some of the doom from last night.

It's cheered me up.

Thanks lads.

HWTL.

Edited by Bally21

50 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Not seeing that personally. The players are visibly out in their feet, some playing with injuries.

We’ve basically played 8 games in 24 days with the same squad - barely had a chance to rotate - no rest periods in between - prior to that we played 7 in 21 days - it’s insane - all tough matches 

Not had the luxury of rotating 3/4 players a game - our 2 wingers literally played all the matches - same with the full backs - centre backs - Bruno - Miley - Joe - Longstaff run into the ground - Isak strapped up and thrown on - Wilson playing consecutive  matches. 

We will learn from this for sure and make sure next time round we don’t suffer the same 

10 hours ago, duo said:

The sickening part is we gifted them the game - Chelsea didn't win it.

We gifted them fuck all. We hung on with a limp-along first team squad. Took a lead, couldn’t impose ourselves and dug in. The collective effort was, once again, outstanding. The epitome being Gordon—our best chance as an outlet to get a second, and kill the game—playing on whilst obviously hurting, after receiving a clear red card tackle.
Supremely proud of them all. We just couldn’t ride it out. Daft as it sounds, alongside how much possession Chelsea had, the number of bobbles,  loose balls and throws which didn’t go our way just put me in the mindset that this isn’t going to be our day. We’re not getting the rub of the green. 
We will obliterate teams come the run in when we’re stronger in depth. Hope it starts in the FA Cup. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Not going to happen, but when one team has way more injuries than the other, could referees be a little bit stricter?

If not, the team with the much better bench can just kick the other one off the park, knowing they have no fresh players to bring on.

6 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

We gifted them fuck all. We hung on with a limp-along first team squad. Took a lead, couldn’t impose ourselves and dug in. The collective effort was, once again, outstanding. The epitome being Gordon—our best chance as an outlet to get a second, and kill the game—playing on whilst obviously hurting, after receiving a clear red card tackle.
Supremely proud of them all. We just couldn’t ride it out. Daft as it sounds, alongside how much possession Chelsea had, the number of bobbles,  loose balls and throws which didn’t go our way just put me in the mindset that this isn’t going to be our day. We’re not getting the rub if the green. 
We will obliterate teams come the run in when we’re stronger in depth. Hope it starts in the FA Cup. 

That was Chelsea at full strength bar the 2 full backs - even then they had 2 internationals playing 

Find me a team that wouldn’t suffer when having Joelinton - Tonali - Anderson - Willock - Barnes - Murphy - Isak missing - Gordon injured - Miggy spent 

1 minute ago, Big Geordie said:

Just reading Football 365 this morning - they seem to be doing their best to push for Eddie to get the sack. Mind, they have been for a few months - touting Mourinho to get the job. :D

Mourinho’s had his day he’ll go to Saudi. Hopefully Eddies here for years to come.

27 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Just reading Football 365 this morning - they seem to be doing their best to push for Eddie to get the sack. Mind, they have been for a few months - touting Mourinho to get the job. :D

It is my fear that they won't be as patient as the fan base, however we are already ahead of schedule with European football so early after the takeover I don't see how that makes sense currently.

so deflated this morning 

sometimes I think this club is cursed - it's the hope that kills you!

I don't know how Chelsea do this shit season after season by pure luck - getting away with at least 2 reds last night and then relying on a gift from Trippier and penos.

I remember the cup tie at SJP in 96 and ever since then they must the luckiest club in the world when it comes to cups.

suppose it's better than losing like that to Liverpool in the final! 

more likely Chelsea play Boro and Fulham of course. 

chelsea fuckers - injured our most important attacking threat, then injured our RB so we had to bring on an out of form low in confidence sub.

but the journalists really have to press Howe on his continued reluctance to bring Lewis Hall on in place of an ageing Ritchie.

whats happeneded between the manu cup game and now.

really needs answering.