Luton Town 1-0 Newcastle United (23/12/23)

Yorkie

When players are playing shite, game by game, or just on one day, you drop them/take them off. But we can't. It's not just about fatigue, we're not in a position to do anything different in terms of personnel. This is not normal for so long with so many big games. If we leave out Almiron or Gordon who plays in their stead? Matt Ritchie, an out of position full back or a 16 year old from the academy that everyone agrees is still a bit rubbish?

Just now, Arknor said:

Losing to Luton is embarrassing no excuses.

should be able to beat that team with 9 or 10 men

Hardly..  You must be forgetting their games against Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs. Where they deserved to get more points from.

It's funny isn't it.

When we're winning it's unbelievable what Howe has done with largely the same players we had under Bruce, when we're losing the players are talented and should be beating Luton even with 9 or 10 men.

Not saying it's the same people but it's funny how quickly things turn on a sixpence. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Aye, it’s why I’m reluctant to be more than constructively critical of what’s happening - I think Howe will have learned the lessons of playing in Europe and we won’t see a repeat - he’s learning still, it’s his first ever European season.  It’s impossible to play a high-intensity game while playing this many games - we did experience this briefly last season during the League Cup run.  If we’re in Europe next year and the same thing occurs, I’m going to be far more critical tbh. 

If there's one thing that i've seen from EH and I think it's one of his best qualities, it's that he learns from mistakes and rarely repeats them. Compare that to the mugs we've had managing us down the years. I think he realizes better than anyone that mistakes have been made, certain things came a bit early for us and we will learn and be better for it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the struggles we are currently seeing this season. It was somewhat inevitable and is absolutely necessary.

I think it will mean we are more ruthless with letting some players go this summer, and also that we will be more ambitious strengthening the squad going forward.

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

If there's one thing that i've seen from EH and I think it's one of his best qualities, it's that he learns from mistakes and rarely repeats them. Compare that to the mugs we've had managing us down the years. I think he realizes better than anyone that mistakes have been made, certain things came a bit early for us and we will learn and be better for it.

Agreed - he’s a ‘thinking’ manager.  I’ve no doubt that the lessons he’s learned will reap rewards in the future - he’ll have learned loads this season. 

52 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Sure, but my opinion is that your opinion has no basis in fact and could only really be reached by an imbecile.

Parts of what he said are true, Howe has never won anything and Emery was our first choice.

1 minute ago, Mikky said:

These players are spent - that 17 day break after Man City (unless there’s an FA Cup match in between) is going to be much need 

We have to add a couple of players even if on loan 

Lots of people are forgetting there's even a break in January.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the struggles we are currently seeing this season. It was somewhat inevitable and is absolutely necessary.

I think it will mean we are more ruthless with letting some players go this summer, and also that we will be more ambitious strengthening the squad going forward.

I does feel like it’s a learning opportunity for the club. Everything they’ve touched has turned to gold so far. But periods of adversity are inevitable and we need to have these issues to grow.

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's funny isn't it.

When we're winning it's unbelievable what Howe has done with largely the same players we had under Bruce, when we're losing the players are talented and should be beating Luton even with 9 or 10 men.

Not saying it's the same people but it's funny how quickly things turn on a sixpence. 

I actually thought we were playing with 10 men given how unfit Isak was. He looked leggy and almost lazy to me because he just can’t seem to run. Clear to me that a striker is needed as we can’t rely on the fitness of the two we have right now 

We need to be better in possession. It can’t all be about fast football, set-pieces and winning second balls all the time. That will only take us so far and we live seen that it suffers badly when the players are tired/injured.

16 minutes ago, Wullie said:

When players are playing shite, game by game, or just on one day, you drop them/take them off. But we can't. It's not just about fatigue, we're not in a position to do anything different in terms of personnel. This is not normal for so long with so many big games. If we leave out Almiron or Gordon who plays in their stead? Matt Ritchie, an out of position full back or a 16 year old from the academy that everyone agrees is still a bit rubbish?

Not sure Hall would agree about being an out of position full back, he considers himself a midfielder according to some circles. I understand Howe is very reliant on Gordon whose had a great season, but he really has looked knackered for a few weeks now.

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Maybe i'm being a bit too positive and optimistic but it's surprising to me that a few people seem to think the trajectory we're on will be linear and upwards only. Adversity is inevitable and will only make the growth and good times sweeter.

Bumps in the road. Only way is up over time. Patience, trust, belief in the journey. Predict a happier Boxing Day result for folk to give them a lift :indi:

6 minutes ago, christ said:

I does feel like it’s a learning opportunity for the club. Everything they’ve touched has turned to gold so far. But periods of adversity are inevitable and we need to have these issues to grow.

Absolutely, particularly because of how far behind our starting point was.

If we had already pretty much built a healthy squad that was supposed to compete on all fronts, and this was happening, then the alarm bells would be ringing.

Relative small step backwards this season it looks like. Before going again with a much bigger step forward.

I mean, the summers business was exactly about creating a squad able to compete on all fronts. Howe was talking about having 2 pretty equal teams IIRC.

The amount of (and severity of) injuries has been the big problem, and the inability to deal with such a crisis. Lewis Hall, signed in the summer, is sat there unused for example.

What is to blame for the injuries is up for debate.

I’m pretty chill over all this because I’m backing the club to learn from every win, every draw and every loss. 

Hope they prioritize cash flow on the playing squad over anything else at this point, and I expect they will. 

We’ve had fuck-all luck this season — which sport has a heavy reliance on in addition to the actual execution part. 

Long journey ahead of us, and yes, remember where we used to be. Think long term. The force that we were last season was a taste of just what we will be LONG term. 

Reality is, we are victims of our own over-acheivement. We have to remember this squad and staff are new to this kind of grueling schedule. And we simply don't have the squad to cope.

Elite teams would have seen out luton today Regarldess of the game midweek. They would have absorbed thier fast start, settled the game down, kept the ball with their quality, and picked their spots to go full pelt and won 2-0 comfortably. We used to be victims to these kind of results regularly against the "big clubs".

Unfortunately we just don't have the quality on the pitch or know how to deal with these situations yet. But it will come in time.