Players you were certain would be world class?

Mike

Mason Greenwood. He still might make it, but probably not in the Premiership. Huge talent.

On the opposite scale, the first time I saw Chris Waddle, I turned to my mate and told him that the lad would never make the grade in a million years.

Edited by Cronky

Just now, tgarve said:

Rooney

Hmm... I did think about him, but didn't have the nerve. Obviously, he did have a good career, but he could have been even better, yes. Playing through injuries cost him his pace, I think.

Probably not world class but I always thought Ross Barkley would go onto big things. Liked him as a player, robust, box to box and could use both feet.

Has seemingly never hit the heights though.

Edited by Heron

Jose Baxter, Francis Jeffers, Ganso, Ibrahim Afellay, Bojan Krkic, Carlos Vela, Nicklas Bendtner.

Alen Halilovic was the modern day Luca Modric apparently,  I didn't even know he had spells with Birmingham and Reading. 

Agents are to blame here a lot, for likely hyping these young careers, then they crash and burn after joining big clubs they're clearly not ready for.

5 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Jose Baxter, Francis Jeffers, Ganso, Ibrahim Afellay, Bojan Krkic, Carlos Vela, Nicklas Bendtner.

Alen Halilovic was the modern day Luca Modric apparently,  I didn't even know he had spells with Birmingham and Reading. 

Agents are to blame here a lot, for likely hyping these young careers, then they crash and burn after joining big clubs they're clearly not ready for.

Bendtner is a good shout. such a gifted footballer who could have been Arsenal legend. IIRC he spent most of his time being a dick, and hasn't changed at all

5 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Bendtner was self proclaimed wasn't he? [emoji38]

Wenger regarded him as a potentially unstoppable striker....but I can't recall whether that was before or after Wenger lost the plot

Probably been mentioned but Albert Luque.

Remember watching YT compilations of him in school :lol: overhead kicks and all sorts iirc

Edited by Klaus

Back when I was a kid and well before the very best players the world has to offer played in England, I thought Dalian Atkinson (RIP) was going to be special. Recall him scoring an outrageous hat-trick against Boro around 87 or 88 and the Toon were supposed to be buying him in 89. I was beside myself and then he went to Sheff Wed and later, Villa. With hindsight, he was a bit like Yeboah in that he flashed amazing talent briefly, but had a solid career anyway.

Into the 90s, Gianluigi Lentini was fantastic but then got his world record move to Milan, crashed his Porsche and was never the same. What could have been, he was a wizard with the ball around 92.

Also from that same era, Toto Schillaci lit up Italia 90' but had a pretty unremarkable career. Denilson one of the best comments i've seen, cost a fortune and did nowt.

Alvaro Recoba maybe should have had a better career?

Edited by LionOfGosforth

On 04/01/2024 at 00:55, mighty__mag said:

I’ve signed all of them as wonder kids on various iterations of CM / FM

On 03/01/2024 at 20:36, LionOfGosforth said:

Back when I was a kid and well before the very best players the world has to offer played in England, I thought Dalian Atkinson (RIP) was going to be special. Recall him scoring an outrageous hat-trick against Boro around 87 or 88 and the Toon were supposed to be buying him in 89. I was beside myself and then he went to Sheff Wed and later, Villa. With hindsight, he was a bit like Yeboah in that he flashed amazing talent briefly, but had a solid career anyway.

Into the 90s, Gianluigi Lentini was fantastic but then got his world record move to Milan, crashed his Porsche and was never the same. What could have been, he was a wizard with the ball around 92.

Also from that same era, Toto Schillaci lit up Italia 90' but had a pretty unremarkable career. Denilson one of the best comments i've seen, cost a fortune and did nowt.

Alvaro Recoba maybe should have had a better career?

Lentini a great shout. Decent article on him here:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/03/23/the-unfulfilled-career-of-record-breaker-gianluigi-lentini/

On 02/01/2024 at 22:41, Cronky said:

Hmm... I did think about him, but didn't have the nerve. Obviously, he did have a good career, but he could have been even better, yes. Playing through injuries cost him his pace, I think.

Could’ve been better, yes. To say he was never world class is absurdity though unless the definition is applied in the narrowest possible sense.