Aston Villa vs. Newcastle United: 30/1/24 @ 20:15 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

33 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Wat :lol:

I kna. :lol: Lifting.

2022/23 lost 0-3
2021/22 lost 0-2
2020/21 lost 0-2
2019/20 lost 0-2
2016/17 drew 1-1 og(Elphick) (Ch)
2015/16 drew 0-0
2014/15 drew 0-0
2013/14 won 2-1 Ben Arfa, Gouffran

Before tonight’s game, I had it in my mind that we’d use this game to turn our league form around. Now though I’m pretty sure we will have to wait for the turnaround to start at least one game later. :lol:

Tonight’s midfield three against Villa will likely be brutal. A point gained would be an absolute joy.

45 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Aye their midfield are going to batter us you’d think. 

The best bet would be to play how we did in the second half today, sit a bit deeper then play through their press and counter. Mind we only did it effectively once we were 2-0 up, then everyone suddenly started finding the quick intricate one-twos.

It'll be difficult but we can have confidence. Good win tonight, good defensive performance, looking a bit sharper than usual in the later stages. A good result is more than attainable.

Maybe the lack training time will show an improved performance.

Despite the form table predicting a very comfortable win for Villa, we’ve definitely had it in us to throw a massive spanner in the works. Would love us to be that disruptive again. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

It'll be difficult but we can have confidence. Good win tonight, good defensive performance, looking a bit sharper than usual in the later stages. A good result is more than attainable.

Not if Howe persists with that midfield 3, which unfortunately I think he will. It’s a game for for 5-2-3 / 5-4-1 all day long.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Probably helps we had two weeks off though while Fulham had played 2 games in a few days.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Technically right but we did score via an own goal in 16/17 :lol:

Even more odd, is that our PL home record against them overall, is one of our best iirc. Sure we have picked up more home points against them, than any other side (or very close)

Our Villa Park record was decent until Bruce really. 6defeats going back to 1989(aka in my time) before that. The same year being the last time they won at SJP against 11men. Is it 3 home defeats in  56years to them? 

Used to regularly get to the away game and never saw us lose. 4wins and 3draws.

Having said that I'd not be despondent with any improvement on last seasons game on this occasion.

Edited by Jonas

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Have a feeling we might sneak a point here.

[emoji38] Did you watch the Fulham game? Our midfield got  roasted , Big joe out is a massive game changer they'll batter us

absolutely no result here. Villa won't even have to make an effort when we play our crap passive 4-5-1 full of holes. We can't even for the life of us keep the ball in the team. That will make us exhausted and will make the performance worse and worse, while the pressure will increase. Oh, no substitutions for tired players will be made.

basically Spurs away.