Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

21 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

So Eddie hasn't been a success? After all he's won nothing.

You know.  Stop being an arse.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

He had a settled side then  a lot of the key players fell off at club level or got injured. So he dropped nearly all of them. 

would’ve been better off playing Sterling and Phillips.  That was at least a balanced side.  

Gallagher and Rice is his second choice CM pairing and it stinks. 

I agree that the team is unbalanced, but if you compare the player material to the players you've been facing in the first 2 games.. Better to have 8-9 strong players with 2 weaker ones than being balanced by having consistenly mediocre players all over the field. The tactics looks pretty bad, and it's not hard to see. I honestly think Denmark would be starting Gallagher if he was Danish. Foden too, even as a left winger. It's better than what they've got.

Edited by Erikse

At least it's handy we play the final group game on Tuesday. I have a 3am airport taxi booked so i can stick that shit on and have a couple of hours kip due to boredom :thup:[emoji38]

As they said.. which player in tonight's game played their natural game.

If that's true do you pick players who can fit the managers style or do you change the style to fit the players?

You have to be able to adapt when you realise plan a, b or c is not working 

18 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

People always massively overreact to performances in the group stage matches of these tournaments, especially the 24-team ones that we have now. Four points in the group is really the equivalent of six in a 32 or 16 team format. England have a simple path to win the group on the last match day, talent and room for group. This is all you would hope for in a tournament.

I'm a fully paid up member of the "just get through the group" brigade but that performance was deeply concerning. We've looked unimpressive before but that was abhorrent and an indication that we're getting worse not better.

Taking a glass half full approach you might say the humid conditions and bad pitch were a contributing factor cos Denmark were crap as well, but England played like complete strangers today.

Abandoning his preferred approach obviously has to be the first objective but tbh it feels like he needs to go from scratch. 

I don't think the Phillips comment is scandalous in isolation cos he's done really well for England in the past - but ffs we don't need Kalvin Phillips to make this team tick.

I like Bowen, I really do, but what fucking planet is Southgate on putting him on instead of Palmer today? Didn't even watch the game, but I just cant wrap my head around that 

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I like Bowen, I really do, but what fucking planet is Southgate on putting him on instead of Palmer today? Didn't even watch the game, but I just cant wrap my head around that 

More defensive 

1 minute ago, Doops said:

More defensive 

He definitely spent more time doubling up at right back then moving forward 

23 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I agree that the team is unbalanced, but if you compare the player material to the players you've been facing in the first 2 games.. Better to have 8-9 strong players with 2 weaker ones than being balanced by having consistenly mediocre players all over the field. The tactics looks pretty bad, and it's not hard to see. I honestly think Denmark would be starting Gallagher if he was Danish. Foden too, even as a left winger. It's better than what they've got.

I think that's probably true. The Danes look well drilled and would have a system to play those weaker players of ours in, they'd know their role so they would collectively look better than the sum of their parts.

A bit like we have had under Howe when a few championship level players have suddenly shone in the PL in a defined role.

The problem for me with these last couple of England games has been that I'm not sure what system, identity or style is being played.

It looks like there are probably several players being shoehorned in because the manager wants to include his biggest names, rather than giving them a clear plan and dropping a few of them if their skills don't quite fit the plan.

Sure he'd then be criticised for not having the vision to have a system to fit player X,Y or Z in, but better to have a plan and use the best ones that fit it, even if they're seen as less talented.

Edited by Abacus

25 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

As they said.. which player in tonight's game played their natural game.

If that's true do you pick players who can fit the managers style or do you change the style to fit the players?

You have to be able to adapt when you realise plan a, b or c is not working 

It's not like Southgate is a newly appointed club manager who has to make a team out of what's given to him.  He is able to pick any English player.  If the team or squad lack balance or lack players who can play the style of football that the manager prefers, that's all on Southgate, he's the one who decided that these were the players he wanted to wedge into the team, whether they were in their natural positions or not.

I've been a staunch defender of Southgate in the past but so far it's indefensible. The players he is using are used to high energy pressing for most part. He has to realise that sitting back and being passive is not what they are used to. The balance is all wrong. The system he is playing needs a pivot, Rice is not that, Wharton is. He has to have the balls to do it and drop Bellingham deep, play Foden 10 and put Gordon in. Eze is not a wide man. His changes today were borderline pathetic and predictable...im sure I'm repeating what has already been said but surely that cannot be defended

6 minutes ago, ikri said:

It's not like Southgate is a newly appointed club manager who has to make a team out of what's given to him.  He is able to pick any English player.  If the team or squad lack balance or lack players who can play the style of football that the manager prefers, that's all on Southgate, he's the one who decided that these were the players he wanted to wedge into the team, whether they were in their natural positions or not.

Exactly... And to say it's because nobody can replace Philips he is clutching at straws.

2 hours ago, Ameritoon said:

Man what the fuck

What an absolue stinker Southgate is, has to be one of the least thought out excuses ever, fuck off.

Edited by Numbers

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Palmer, Mainoo and Gordon have 4 minutes between them so far [emoji38]

They look scared. Which is the opposite of what they should given they are a largely a team of winners. That has come down either to tactics or man management. Either way, not encouraging.. 

Beating the shite has always been relatively easy given the individual talent of the players under Southgate, but when you've got a manager who's response to the utter shite served up is 'we must play better' and 'we miss Kalvin Phillips', it says it all the bloke's limitations.

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

We don’t have any unit bar the right hand Side playing with balance. 

The front 3-4 don’t work well together. The central midfield is a mess. The left hand side is a mess. Central defence looks suspect under pressure. 

Left hand side is completely broken. We would be better off with a mid table left back and Gordon.  

You can’t get the best out of Rice, Bellingham and Foden imo at this stage. You have to drop 1. 

Give me 11 players playing to their strengths over 11 big names who don’t.  

15 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Left hand side is completely broken. We would be better off with a mid table left back and Gordon.  

I'm not sure it is the left side alone that is broken (and that a change there would improve things, unless it is a weird trust issue). So many times especially Sunday but again today, Rice, Stones and TAA would just play tiki-taka going backwards amongst themselves when Tripper was wide open up front. If you are going to play TAA you need him to play those Hollywood balls, otherwise what is the point?

Edited by Teslact
Added "alone" for clarity

TAA needs someone to play Hollywood balls too. A proper LW, a striker going in behind or an AM going in behind. None Of the starting options provide that. 

Schars range of passing needs someone to make the Joelinton run. 

this is what I’ve been trying to say about midfield. 

From the little I’ve seen I think Wharton is best suited to that. 

You can play rice and Bellingham in there and it might work but I don’t think it gets the best out of either. Rice+TAA or Gallagher is not it.  

Kante and Pogba as a 2, I thought might not work. But Pogba’s distribution from deep was masterful and Kante is better with his back to goal and linking play than he’s given credit for.  and they had runners on the wing. 

4 hours ago, Nobody said:

Actually runs in behind on occasion. Makes the Gordon snubs even odder mind. 

If Southgate is only capable of operating with a DM, move Stones into midfield. He plays in that part of the pitch for Man City.

I note that the closest England came to a second was LW Foden attacking the inside right channel. Denmark's goal came from a failed attempt by Harry Kane to help out on the non-functioning left side. So having a DM would still leave plenty of other problems.