Group F: 1. Portugal, 2. Türkiye, 3. Georgia (Q), 4. Czechia

Big River

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

It’s rapidly becoming a cliché but the atmosphere at these Championships has been brilliant.

Edit: genuine question: are UEFA’s ticketing policies better than FIFA’s?

No UEFA just don’t typically host their competitions in autocratic gulf city states 

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

It’s rapidly becoming a cliché but the atmosphere at these Championships has been brilliant.

Edit: genuine question: are UEFA’s ticketing policies better than FIFA’s?

Nah, Germany is easy to get too for literally everyone and has huge diaspora populations to draw from too. The Euros over here will be the same. 

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Fav matches of the euros have been romania ukraine and this. 

Can't understand how most people are opposed to a 32 team tournament for the Euros or a 64 team tournament for the WC - even though that would give us more matches between nations most neutrals would never watch if they weren't happening during a tournament, especially as the ones complaining about the possibility of more nations at the EC/WC almost universally praise the matches between "lesser" sides and say they enjoy watching nations they'd never normally watch  🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Kaizero

Just now, Kaizero said:

Yet, people are opposed to a 32 team tournament for the Euros or a 64 team tournament for the WC - even though that would give us more matches between nations most neutrals would never watch if they weren't happening during a tournament 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

It's a fair point. The 3rd place finishers thing appears to be really helping at least the first round of games.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Madrid are going to be sickening

Guler was injured for the majority of the season and was on the bench when he wasn’t. Only towards the end did he stay fit and start getting more minutes as Real prioritised the CL. Scored 5 in 5 when he got a string of starts in the league including some real bangers. He’s going to be brilliant. 

Depending on what Real do he might need a loan this season. I personally prefer the balance of the attack when Brahim or Guler starts at RW over Rodrygo.  But Guler will start the season as 3rd choice RW. 

Get him in on loan.  

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

Nah, Germany is easy to get too for literally everyone and has huge diaspora populations to draw from too. The Euros over here will be the same. 

Yeah I totally get that but the way the teams’ fans are distributed in the stands seems really effective.

11 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

Fair, I wasn't aware of any Georgia - Turkey tensions. I've lived in Armenia for a while and spent a lot of time in Georgia too so I'm acutely aware of the history and animosity between Armenia & Turkey but never felt or sensed the same with Georgia.

Batumi is an odd and somewhat (for my tastes at least) repellent place mind, a real departure in feel and atmosphere from the rest of the country which is astonishingly beautiful; so I'm not particularly surprised there's a strong outside influence taking hold there.

Just for the record, I'm in no way saying I have an intimate knowledge of the relations between the countries in the region - my knowledge of that is based on having had a few deep trips down the rabbit hole that is ADHD-hyperfocus wiki-binges :lol:

It has certainly been a strong first matchday for the minnows, Scotland are the only team that offered nothing but they had the toughest matchup against fired up hosts. Saying Europe only has the quality for 16 team tournaments is bullshit.

Edited by Pata

5 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah I totally get that but the way the teams’ fans are distributed in the stands seems really effective.

Looks pretty much just the same as per WC games. Each team has an end (or part there of) and then this time the more neutral zones have proper fans in them as well. 

Should be canny in the US as well aside from the locals. Be yuge followings for loads of teams without anyone actually needing to brave immigration. 

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

Just for the record, I'm in no way saying I have an intimate knowledge of the relations between the countries in the region - my knowledge of that is based on having had a few deep trips down the rabbit hole that is ADHD-hyperfocus wiki-binges :lol:

Off-topic, but just realized you can literally see the rabbit hole deepen by looking at my list of "to-read" bookmarks that I'll never open again :lol:

Screenshot2024-06-18at19_43_35.thumb.png.d32dfa558cb213c2ebebba0858182d85.png