James Trafford: £16m bid rejected but 'expectation of progress' (Hope)

34 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

If we do sign him, hopefully he doesn’t just deliver as backup for next season, but also powers through to become No.1 GK.

Not an outlandish suggestion, because I think he’s a strong character, which of course is essential in a keeper.

And to be honest, even without regard to his shoulder, I think Pope has his weaknesses. Good shot stopper but doesn’t command his area well and poor with the ball at his feet.

11 minutes ago, SteV said:

No chance Trafford’s gonna want to sign for us if we’re simultaneously dropping £35m on another keeper.

Especially as Mamardashvili is only two years older than Trafford, he's not some old pro who's going to retire in a year or two.

14 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

Haven't seen him play much.

What's his strenghts and what kind of keeper is he?

very good with his feet, high starting position, good shot stopper, a bit flappy on crosses despite his height, and looks to be weak as piss

1 hour ago, SteV said:

No chance Trafford’s gonna want to sign for us if we’re simultaneously dropping £35m on another keeper.

The only time I've ever seen this happen is when Westerweld made a few mistakes at the start of a season, Liverpool went and bought Dudek and Kirkland the same week. Dudek cost about £5m which was a big fee for a keeper, Kirkland was a British record for a keeper. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Yeh i'm talking about his transfer to Liverpool. He was bought as back-up for a back-up price. Through injuries his value has skyrocketed. Samer as Ortega, Martinez, Lunin. IMO that's the back-up goalie blueprint.

Kelleher is from Liverpool’s academy.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Not an outlandish suggestion, because I think he’s a strong character, which of course is essential in a keeper.

And to be honest, even without regard to his shoulder, I think Pope has his weaknesses. Good shot stopper but doesn’t command his area well and poor with the ball at his feet.

Similar % of claiming crosses. Pope less flappy too.

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

How about getting him AND Mama - £50m dropped, sure, but sorts out the GK position for 10 years

Trafford can go out on loan, Mama and Pope to stay

Same was done with RB (Trippier, Livramento, possibly Ashby)

LB - Targett, Hall (Kelly, Burn as back up)

That would mean £80m spent before addressing CB, RW, and ST.

Again - the question to ask is what can he become under Howe and his staffs guidance.

Hes young, already has a good amount of experience, relatively cheap compared to an outfield player of similar status, appears to have a ceiling higher than his current level and we are about to lose 1 if not 2 of our keepers. Hes also (when he plays) gonna be behind the likes of Tripps, Schar, Botman, Tino, Burn, Hall which should give him a lot of confidence. And everyday - hes gonna be facing shots from Isak, Wilson, Bruno, Tonali, Flash, Barnes and Longstaff (:bluestar:) and the rest.

Even if it takes him a season to adjust to his new environment - whats not to like?

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

Again - the question to ask is what can he become under Howe and his staffs guidance.

Hes young, already has a good amount of experience, relatively cheap compared to an outfield player of similar status, appears to have a ceiling higher than his current level and we are about to lose 1 if not 2 of our keepers. Hes also (when he plays) gonna be behind the likes of Tripps, Schar, Botman, Tino, Burn, Hall which should give him a lot of confidence. And everyday - hes gonna be facing shots from Isak, Wilson, Bruno, Tonali, Flash, Barnes and Longstaff (:bluestar:) and the rest.

Even if it takes him a season to adjust to his new environment - whats not to like?

I like his distribution, and passing out from the back. He can pick a pass and doesn’t get flustered under pressure (And that was with a shit defence in front of him). 

5 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Lad looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet, distributes it calmly. No flapping! 

Highlights (obviously I suppose) he looks very good. Remember that save from Anderson as had goal written all over it. Seems a very smart signing if the fee is indeed £15-20m and low-average weekly wage. Any hint on his current salary?

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Highlights (obviously I suppose) he looks very good. Remember that save from Anderson as had goal written all over it. Seems a very smart signing if the fee is indeed £15-20m and low-average weekly wage. Any hint on his current salary?

Can’t imagine it would be too much, based on sod all :lol:

Once again I've just got to trust their judgement until they show otherwise. Wasn't convinced Gordon was the right buy and look at him now, and thought Hall was looking like a shocker, turns out I know fuck all about footballers and the professionals are canny good at it [emoji38]

22 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

Once again I've just got to trust their judgement until they show otherwise. Wasn't convinced Gordon was the right buy and look at him now, and thought Hall was looking like a shocker, turns out I know fuck all about footballers and the professionals are canny good at it [emoji38]

Who’d have thunk it 😉

13 hours ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Im okay with this as long as he's necking roids straight after signing the contract and going full Tim Wiese.

He'll be body slamming defenders in time.

Agree with a comment above on crosses ..he doesnt inspire sticks to his line too much and flaps at them. Good shot stopper but doesnt seem to have much strength in the rucks of corners and free kicks.

£16-20m for a 21 year old on the cusp of the senior squad seems risk free to me. 

I cant envisage a situation where we wouldnt recoup a significant portion of that back if required so on that basis this seems a no brainer to me. 

Having said that, I'd still love Mama based entirely on the fact he's forrin

1 minute ago, Jimburst said:

Like him with the ball at his feet, seems a bit small though. Especially compared to Pope.

3inchs taller than Pope apparently.