James Trafford

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Again this is why part of me actually wishes we had just got a big fee early on for one of blue chip players tbh. We'd have got breathing room to go straight out and buy 4-5 first choice players to address all the major positions.

Instead we're kind of scrambling around unsure which gaps to plug, and waiting to the last week of the window to see which opportunities arrive for how best to allocate the funds we do have. It may be that we've moved for this purely because the right wing options have all closed up, and this one has become a potential goer on favourable payment terms ala Hall.

Controversial maybe but I hope we just bite the bullet and sell somebody big next summer. It's shite that PSR encourages this but it's probably our best bet of getting value from our new recruitment set up.

This is an interesting thought, I’d prefer we kept hold of our true stars and tried to shift some of our other players who might have a market. 

I’m think Wilock, I’m thinking pope, longstaff wilson. 

I think next season either Bruno or Isak will naturally move on anyway. Even if we finished top 3 and won a cup, I think they're good enough to star for one of the elite. Keep the band together as long as we can, that big rebuild window will come naturally in the next 1-2 years. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

This is an interesting thought, I’d prefer we kept hold of our true stars and tried to shift some of our other players who might have a market. 

I’m think Wilock, I’m thinking pope, longstaff wilson. 

Ideally I'd agree but it's clearly proven extremely hard to find a market for these players - particularly with PSR. Lower PL clubs are just far more sensible with their money than they were 5-10 years ago.

I don't know why theres this belief that players can't develop further by deputising for more experienced players at the right times, and being brought along in training with the right coaching.

This is typically the standard approach for most players development, across all sports.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Ideally I'd agree but it's clearly proven extremely hard to find a market for these players - particularly with PSR. Lower PL clubs are just far more sensible with their money than they were 5-10 years ago.

I think we can find a market for Pople and Wilock, but I definitely concur with you regarding the way recruitment has headed, basically everyone wants the same profile of player, those old steady hands who never excelled are practically worthless. 

back to the topic though, has Trafford ever actually played a full season at senior level? Seems like a bit of a gamble. 

10 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

And Gillespie. Its four. Quite a lot of keepers. Gordon.

Fine, Gordon, whoever. But how is there still any concern or opinion at all about Gillespie? He's there for training cos you need four goalies, that's it. 

I’m perfectly fine signing a really good no. 2 keeper, but you’d hope that if he signs we’d immediately be offloading Dubravka to any willing taker and seeing if we can get old Ulysses out on loan for a fee at a minimum

15 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Final week scattergun approach.

Feels anything but given we first bid for him over a month ago mind.

What it does tell us is that we're still focusing on pre-Mitchell targets as has been reported.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think we can find a market for Pople and Wilock, but I definitely concur with you regarding the way recruitment has headed, basically everyone wants the same profile of player, those old steady hands who never excelled are practically worthless. 

back to the topic though, has Trafford ever actually played a full season at senior level? Seems like a bit of a gamble. 

Clubs still have room for those players in their squads they just won't pay any money for them. Brentford will sign Ben Mee on a free transfer but they'd never pay actual cash for a Callum Wilson, as a blunt example.

Like you say every single club is basically circling the same market for the exact same kind of players, just at slightly different levels. Data driven recruitment means every club basically has the same information available to them, and coaching philosophies have narrowed to want to play largely the same style of play.

I still don’t really get the Trafford interest. He may be talented but he lost his place to Muric last season so isn’t ready to be our number 1, which means he needs to develop, which means he needs first team football somewhere, so isn’t suitable to be our number 2 either. I’d be surprised if our financial position is so good we can spend 8 figures on a development player that won’t improve us this season. Some of our outfield starters yesterday are bottom 5/championship standard.

9 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I still don’t really get the Trafford interest. He may be talented but he lost his place to Muric last season so isn’t ready to be our number 1, which means he needs to develop, which means he needs first team football somewhere, so isn’t suitable to be our number 2 either. I’d be surprised if our financial position is so good we can spend 8 figures on a development player that won’t improve us this season. Some of our outfield starters yesterday are bottom 5/championship standard.

He could be available at a very fair price if he isn’t no.1 at Burnley now. Yes he couldn’t improve our starting eleven but a backup keeper is probably worth it.

He does have the obvious benefit of being young and should improve and that was his 1st Premier League football which was for a poor side. So should be adequate understudy to Pope, as long as no long term injuries.

Style of play suits us with his sweeping.