Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

Wilson is a few levels above DCL as a goalscorer, when we have needed him and brought him off the bench you always fancied him to get a goal and whilst his time here is coming to an end due to age and injury, we should be looking to bring in better as we progress as a club.

Howe might get DCL playing well again but even if he does he isn’t a natural goal threat like Wilson is.

I don’t see this transfer as a step forward, generous to say it is standing still ability wise.

Just now, George Bailey said:

Big statement that. 

Personally don’t like the idea of DCL but if EH and the team think it fits then they know best.

Yeah and I trust them so if he stays then great but I feel he’ll go - hasn’t it been rumoured. I think this window we’ll be a bit more ruthless.

9 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Wilson in your head is far better - the Wilson that finished the season however…

to quote the eagles - you gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em. Wilson, Miggy, Tripps and dubs are all finished.

The pedant in me would point out that Don Schlitz wrote the song...and Kenny Rogers is the one who made it famous.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

8 minutes ago, George Bailey said:

Big statement that. 

Personally don’t like the idea of DCL but if EH and the team think it fits then they know best.

Personally think it’s correct. Trippier will have no break this summer and come back the same player shorn of the pizazz he was playing with until whatever shenanigans went on that saw him drop out the England squad.

Whatever it is - from extra marital drama to just Father Time taking its toll - I’m supportive of us cashing in.

Absolutely no problem with DCL coming here, and I'm assuming it will be for a decent price, not the laughable £37m which Evertona allegedly had the cheek to put forward. Think he will work out a lot better than people are assuming, he was a hot property a couple of years ago prior to his injuries.

21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

That means Hojlund on the bench though, either way that is two excellent young strikers.

I'm not really sure what Man Utd are hoping for to be honest.

Between the pair of them, there's a chance neither really hit the heights they need, as they are both still pretty inexperienced at a higher level.

I thought they would go for someone like Toney for the first team and then bring Hojlund along behind him.

Isak and DCL or Zirkzee and Hojlund? I'm banking on our pairing to be more productive personally.

Just now, KaKa said:

Between the pair of them, there's a chance neither really hit the heights they need, as they are both still pretty inexperienced at a higher level.

I thought they would go for someone like Toney for the first team and then bring Hojlund along behind him.

Isak and DCL or Zirkzee and Hojlund? I'm banking on our pairing to be more productive personally.

I’d bank on Isak alone, not sure I’d rate DCL higher than the other two. (Based on the last few seasons, under Carlo he looked the real deal).

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

25 mill, 3 year deal on 75g a week I can swallow 

Just dont understand this type of deal, when you could leap across the channel and find some serious, unproven youth talent hungry to prove himself for that price tag... who could conceivably stick around for the next decade/be resold at a premium, etc

Edited by Upthemags

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Screaming Spurs or Wist Am that lad. If the Ammers are getting Wilson, that narrows the field.

36 minutes ago, duo said:

Eddie said each transfer window is our chance to build on the quality we already have in the squad.  No one can say that DCL fits into that bracket - Wilson is a far more clinical striker. Nevermind it being a sideways move from Wilson, it's a step backward.  Look I am no scout but surely the club has better prospects that they can target and I am not even talking about the likes of Sesko. Someone of the Pérez ilk that Eddie can mold.  I can't even see how he fits into our style of play.

Regarding the disparity between Wilson and DCL, and DCL not being a good fit, I disagree on those two points, and so we can set that aside, that's fine.

Isak as great as he is, is not looking like the most robust of strikers that can power through every game over a season. We need a seasoned striker that can come on for him in the second half, and who can also step in when he picks up the odd nick here and there as has been the case.

The club have still said that they will also still be looking for a third forward that is more versatile and more of developmental player, and so that should still happen anyway, but this kind of player just can't be the main option behind Isak.

3 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Just dont understand this type of deal, when you could leap across the channel and find some serious, unproven youth talent hungry to prove himself for that price tag... who could conceivably stick around for the next decade/be resold at a premium, etc

And who would that be ? If Wilson is sold we're an Isak injury away from depending on the back up. My point was don't be giving him ( DCL) a retirement incentive deal

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d bank on Isak alone, not sure I’d rate DCL higher than the other two. (Based on the last few seasons, under Carlo he looked the real deal).

I like Zirkzee a lot and also appreciate Hojlund's raw attributes and think he will come good. 

However, having them as the two striker options upfront could come with some growing pains. Zirkzee is class but even last year when he was great for Bologna, it was more his involvement in build up, and his creativity that really stood out.

Isak is looking like a 20 goal a season striker for us going forward, and I really cannot see DCL struggling to score in our team. Isak, Gordon, Wilson and even Almiron the previous season, have been productive in this team.

DCL's heading ability in the box alone will be such a huge threat, as we are quite direct and get decent crosses into the box from good positions.

DCL should be approaching his prime years. He played for England 3 years ago, scored something like 4 goals in 11 games. He’s had injury and mental health issues, he looks a little fragile. The lad is 6”2”, good in the air, seems mobile, can hold the ball up.

If we agree a decent price, give him the support he needs and don’t need to push him for game time, we could get a bit of a bargain.

Who knows on that. What we do know is that Wilson is 33 in February and his body is failing him. He wants game time and he will miss games. I’d want to keep him another year accepting he’d get limited but important game time. I think the reality is that bringing DCL in, letting Wilson go and see if we can bring a prospect in, would be good business. Wilson’s contract ends in 2025, if we’ve got suitors now is the time to sell and he gets a final pay day. 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

I’m not that much into XG this and that, but apparently DCL was top of the underperforming XG across the top 5 leagues in Europe. 

Everton fans on their forum were saying that he doesn’t seem to be able to strike a ball cleanly, which is strange to hear about a professional footballer.