Last 16: Romania 0-3 Netherlands; Austria 1-2 Turkey

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

England have been poor. But its could be a Switzerland/Austria route to final. You never know. Clearly should be playing Gordon. Balance of team would be miles better.

It's not about the players so much.  Gordon would help as he would just run and play his normal game.  Streching opposition.

The main issue is just passing the ball about with zero urgency hoping that one of our players will pull something out of nothing.  

I thought the last game was bad. But this was even worse. 

Obviously chuffed that we are through. But we deserved fuck all. A moment of magic and sheer brilliance saved us. 

Southgate is a disgrace, IMO. 

19 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Right, was working through the game, keeping an eye on the BBC text. Is it worth watching any of the game other than the goals? It just sounded like…everything we’ve been talking about again, again…again.

It was passive, sideways, meaningless passing for the most part. Then aimless, desperate crosses to nobody when we needed a goal. 

Still not sure how we won that. 

All right, going to watch injury time and extra time.

The thing is, if Southgate played Gordon on the left and for whatever reason it didn’t work out I’d hold my hands up and say “fair enough, maybe I don’t know as much as I think about football, at least he tried.” This, though, is spectacularly infuriating. Just maddening. 

24 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

It's not about the players so much.  Gordon would help as he would just run and play his normal game.  Streching opposition.

The main issue is just passing the ball about with zero urgency hoping that one of our players will pull something out of nothing.  

But you don’t change that by keeping them in the same formation and just telling them to “pass quicker” or “show for the ball” or whatever. You change that by looking at the team as a whole and seeing how to create opportunities for space - either to pass to or move into.

Look at what happened when Gordon came on against Slovenia. His presence and first run forced Slovenia’s midfield and defence to shift to the right when he had the ball to close him down and support the RB. That gave him room to move inside and Mainoo room to move into the space allowed. Then because Kane is clever as fuck he made the right run to draw the defence even further out of position and laid it off. If Palmer had anticipated it and not been on his heels it’s a goal.

The frustrating thing is hoping that the chemistry will come without actually making any effort to put the right reagents together in the right order.

I still can't believe it took him till the 84th minute to make the second sub. All the pundits were literally saying the same thing but they can't call him out and call him a fraud.

Even if he wanted to persist with the big names, half of them have played nearly all the games and must have been knackered. We have no identify with our play and it seems like Southgate's tactics is to give the ball to the big names and hopefully something will happen. Sound familiar? 

Edited by CPL

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's not been displaying the best body language recently like. 

Maybe not but he has a personality which is a relief in modern football. Always a chance that being at Madrid makes him unbearable but right now I like that he has something about him. Even if it borders on the arrogance 

Went to sleep the second Kane scored in extra time and assumed it would finish 4-1 or something. Presume you saw the game out pretty comfortably but even not being able to score another against a dead Slovakia team needing an equaliser is concerning enough.

Switzerland on all known form should win in the next round.

I read Southgate’s comments after the game. Those are not the comments of someone accepting that they’ve got things badly wrong. Fully expecting no changes next game now

5 hours ago, triggs said:

Went to sleep the second Kane scored in extra time and assumed it would finish 4-1 or something. Presume you saw the game out pretty comfortably but even not being able to score another against a dead Slovakia team needing an equaliser is concerning enough.

Nope. Usual scary moments as the Slovaks hoyed long balls and crosses  into the box.

8 hours ago, triggs said:

Agreed. The only thing with the Swiss, like Solvakia, they might lose their nerve. At 2-0 against Italy, it was way more nervy than it needed to be.

The defence look ropey as owt. I don't care what anyone says - you don't want Walker, Trippier & Stones as 3/4 of your back 4 and the main leaders under pressure. City they play up high away from goal and have other players to bring composure. Movement still spins Walker. Stones & Guehi is two sweep-up type defenders. We need a more aggressive one in there. Trippier is Trippier - never been amazing defensively.

I thought the moment that really summed up this England team was 10 minutes and 15 seconds into extra time, I actually paused the game at the time to watch it again as it was so jarring.

Slovakia play a really sloppy pass out of defence straight into Rice, if he's playing for Arsenal and you make that mistake you've already resigned yourself to facing at least a big chance, there's only one place the ball is going and that's straight into the centre forward who in this instance was Toney, who has support around him and runners ready in wide positions. Saka at the bottom of the screen sees what's happened and bursts into the space ready for the attack. But Rice has clearly been told no risky passes in midfield, under any circumstances, so he turns and passes it sideways, and it doesn't even look like an opportunity.

Screenshot_20240701-104418~2.png

9 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I thought the moment that really summed up this England team was 10 minutes and 15 seconds into extra time, I actually paused the game at the time to watch it again as it was so jarring.

Slovakia play a really sloppy pass out of defence straight into Rice, if he's playing for Arsenal and you make that mistake you've already resigned yourself to facing at least a big chance, there's only one place the ball is going and that's straight into the centre forward who in this instance was Toney, who has support around him and runners ready in wide positions. Saka at the bottom of the screen sees what's happened and bursts into the space ready for the attack. But Rice has clearly been told no risky passes in midfield, under any circumstances, so he turns and passes it sideways, and it doesn't even look like an opportunity.

Screenshot_20240701-104418~2.png

Top analysis that. If that’s a pass into Rice at Arsenal, you can see Ben White at the bottom and Odegaard, Saka and Trossard bombing on like Red fucking Arrows. I bet there are 3/4 similar incidents as well.

Posted (edited)

This England team is looking disturbingly like the previous 'golden generation'.

A recurring problem is that the players who look technically good enough seem to lack pace. As a result, we're unable to press or hit teams on the break. Our attacks seem very one-paced. 

Contrast that with Spain, all of whose players seem to be very nimble whilst also possessing the skill to work the ball in tight spaces under pressure. 

The two apparently undroppable players who define the structure of the team - Rice and Kane - are holding the team back. I'd put in Mainoo and Watkins in their places.

Edited by Cronky